turn off wifi or Bluetooth without unlocking

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Is there anyway to do what I said in the title?
I was on iOS for years so I guess I just got used to this. It's honestly my only small annoyance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It was possible on previous builds on older Samsung phones, but not sure if it's an Android thing or just Sammy decided to 'up' their security, but nope, you can only make changes to hardware with the phone unlocked.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Ok thanks I'll just make sure I check it.

Cause I'll forget and my phone connects to the Shaw Open in Calgary Canada when I'm driving around with Google maps so I'm contently "recalculating" haha

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That one's easy! Just go to your network list and un-check the option to Automatically Connect to that network! That way you can keep WiFi on, but choose when to actually connect to those networks.

If that's an open network, you need to disable the option to automatically connect to any open, unsecured network (that's the most sensible thing to do, anyway...you know, for security reasons)

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Of course!

Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, it displays the Control Center, so you can toggle them off and on as needed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Of course!

Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, it displays the Control Center, so you can toggle them off and on as needed.

Not sure we're talking about the same phone or even OS! Or maybe you have a different launcher/lock-screen that allows this?

On a stock S7 the only thing you can swipe up from the lockscreen (if enabled) is Samsung Pay.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Not sure we're talking about the same phone or even OS! Or maybe you have a different launcher/lock-screen that allows this?

On a stock S7 the only thing you can swipe up from the lockscreen (if enabled) is Samsung Pay.

I misread, I thought OP was on iOS. My bad!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I misread, I thought OP was on iOS. My bad!

Hehe, that's what I thought, no biggie. OP WAS on iOS, which is why they miss the feature. It was possible before, not sure who thought it was a 'secure' feature we needed though. Perhaps so that, should your phone be stolen, whomever took it cannot turn off WiFi or network without unlocking first; that way you can initiate the location/wipe/ring process from Google's Device Manager (or Samsung's Find My Phone for Sammy phones).

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
There are a few apps where you can setup profiles and things to turn off Bluetooth and wifi when screen is off but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for?

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
That one's easy! Just go to your network list and un-check the option to Automatically Connect to that network! That way you can keep WiFi on, but choose when to actually connect to those networks.

If that's an open network, you need to disable the option to automatically connect to any open, unsecured network (that's the most sensible thing to do, anyway...you know, for security reasons)

On my S7 running M, don't see where any of my WiFi networks gives the option to check to not automatically connect. Is that a N option?

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
It's kind of more a really weird thing.

Because when I go to the area with the free wifi I like to connect automatically without thinking but that thought led me to the issue. I can hit my toggles without looking. But when it asks for my pass don't wanna double check.

I mean have any if y'all driven downtown Calgary?! It's borderline suicide haha

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On my S7 running M, don't see where any of my WiFi networks gives the option to check to not automatically connect. Is that a N option?

Ah! Yeah, I thought you had received the update :( On Nougat you can now (finally) select whether you want a specific network to auto-connect when in range or if it's just saved and you decide when to connect without having to 'forget' the network.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of more a really weird thing.

Because when I go to the area with the free wifi I like to connect automatically without thinking but that thought led me to the issue. I can hit my toggles without looking. But when it asks for my pass don't wanna double check.

I mean have any if y'all driven downtown Calgary?! It's borderline suicide haha

For the sake of safety, you should not be handling your phone at all while driving. ;)

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Ah! Yeah, I thought you had received the update :( On Nougat you can now (finally) select whether you want a specific network to auto-connect when in range or if it's just saved and you decide when to connect without having to 'forget' the network.

Yet another reason to look forward to the N update ... just don't know when USCC will finally roll it out

DeltaBlast

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi! Try this!
Go to Settings>Lock Screen and Security>Secure lock settings
Disable Lock network and security
Hope this helps! :)

Cheers, this worked great on my Galaxy S6! Unforunately I do not have this option on my Huawei P20 Pro. Any idea how I can enable this on the P20?

(to make it clear: I want to make it impossible to enable bluetooth without unlocking the phone)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress