Lifeproof fre

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Just grabbed one of these from Best Buy and so far I'm impressed. They fixed the sound and Mic issues and the screen protector isn't terrible. It's obviously not as nice as glass but it's responsive and good for scratch protection.

Buttons are nice and clicky. Size is thin and lightweight. Fingerprint reader is working pretty good. Overall it works as advertised.

At $89 it's pretty expensive but if you want complete protection, it does the job.

Last edited:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I hate about the FRE cases are the nasty Rainbow/Oil Slicks under the screen. Still might try one when the grey and green version is available.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have 1 small spot of that rainbow oil slick and I gotta say it's driving me crazy. It's small but right in the middle of the screen.

I'd be lying if I didn't say it's causing me to seriously contemplate returning it.

The other thing I've found is it feels like it's holding heat, especially in the back. I can't tell for sure because it's not substantial but I'm noticing it and haven't on any other case I've tried.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
After spending a couple days with this case Ive decided to return it. The rainbow/Oil Slick has gotten significantly worse and is taking up 1/3 of my screen. Ive tried re-seating the phone in the case a few times but it keeps coming back. The glare this causes is especially aggravating in sunlight and under fluorescent lighting.

If you want something with 360 degree protection this will take care of that for you but beware, you will lose screen quality. I considered keeping it simply for those times Im going to be outdoors around dirt etc. but at $89 Id rather just return it and find another solution.

I also found typing on the right side to be a bit of an annoyance. Way better than other cases with built in screens but still annoying.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
They really should have made a Nuud version for this phone

If you're looking for increased water resistance then yeah I agree. However, theres much better and cheaper cases than the Nuud cases if extra water resistance isnt a concern.

I got the fre mainly for the built in screen protection. Unfortunately thats where Im having my main issue. I will say though, the sound is significantly better than previous versions. Everyone can hear me perfect and I can hear them as well. There is still some vibrating on the back during music playback etc but it doesnt feel as bad as previous versions imo.

Im wondering if I place some electrical tape inside the case, behind the phone, if that would bring the screen closer to the protector and help with the rainbows and allow for better sensitivity on the keyboard. That may be something I try before returning it.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Giving this case 1 more chance. I've placed a folded microfiber cloth behind the phone to raise the screen close to the protector. As I type this there's no rainbowing yet and the right side of the keyboard is a bit better.

I've got a week from today to return it so I'm going to force myself to keep it on this weekend and make a decision whether to keep or return it.

This is a tough one to call a winner or loser. It's got some nice advantages and some annoyances.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Really want to try it out. Has anyone tried to use this with a film type screen protector still installed to maybe make up the space between phone and lifeproof screen protector?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Really want to try it out. Has anyone tried to use this with a film type screen protector still installed to maybe make up the space between phone and lifeproof screen protector?

It should it with film but wont with glass. I gotta say though, you'd be asking for loss of touch screen sensitivity.

Ii returned mine a few hours ago. Didnt get the rainbow effect after adding a cloth but the clicky-ness of the screen and lack of sensitivity was too much for me.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a LifeProof Fre for my Google Pixel. I took it off today and put a glass screen protector and UAG case on it. The LifeProof is AMAZING for those who absolutely need that sort of protection but as a daily driver, I got annoyed having to open the charge port door but especially the screw thing covering the headphone jack. Then gotta screw in the adapter. Just got too annoyed with that to use it daily. In fact, I'm trying to sale it. Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo