Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I know, right? It's the worst placement of anything on any cell phone ever. And that's not even hyperbole. It's just awful. WTH was Samsung thinking?

But hey, we're probably wrong because we're not following the herd on liking it. :-X

Who says they like it? No need to make stuff up. We all agree it's not idea, but damn it's like you guys are obsessed with it. lol

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Who says they like it? No need to make stuff up. We all agree it's not idea, but damn it's like you guys are obsessed with it. lol

I don't mind it being there a bit. It's not uncomfortable. It will be an easy adjustment. Ppl are really making a huge deal about nothing. Buy a different phone if it is a big deal. To each their own.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I haven't heard one person say they like the placement - everyone seems to be agree with that. Now, whether it's a dealbreaker is where the divide is. For me it is not.. and I have the S8+ and hold the phone with my left hand. My finger moving that way will feel awkward, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

And you're referring to the smaller version..... Damn shame.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement discussion

Look at the design.
Have you had the choice to handle a S8/S8+? I thought it was a bad choice, but once I picked one up, I realized it's not so bad.

I also understand it's subjective. But don't pass judgement without actually picking it up yourself. Like I tell my daughter, "how do you know you won't like it unless you try it?"

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint sensor placement discussion

Have you had the choice to handle a S8/S8+? I thought it was a bad choice, but once I picked one up, I realized it's not so bad.

I also understand it's subjective. But don't pass judgement without actually picking it up yourself. Like I tell my daughter, "how do you know you won't like it unless you try it?"

I have, many times.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Holy cow! I don't get this huge concern about the FPS location. People act like it's the end of the world. If it's a deal breaker then don't get the phone! There are like a half dozen different threads just on this one item. Sheesh!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You'll get used to a lot of things in life. Some things are a choice though and don't require you to compromise. I'm sitting out the S8/S8+ series as a consequence. Note8 will hopefully be what the S8 wanted to be.

Every phone has compromises. You will Never find a phone that does everything right.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think this is simply a situation where we've gotten used to the last few iterations of Samsung flagship phones having the FPS on the front. It's more convenient, and natural to have it on the front. I remember when LG first did that with the power button and volume buttons, people had kittens over that.. Now they're used to it. Personally, I wouldn't t have a huge issue with the FPS, and there are several other ways to unlock the phone, though they may not be as fast or convenient. I'll use them all depending on my circumstance.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't heard one person say they like the placement - everyone seems to be agree with that. Now, whether it's a dealbreaker is where the divide is. For me it is not.. and I have the S8+ and hold the phone with my left hand. My finger moving that way will feel awkward, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I don't mind where it is at, and the FPS is NOT flush with the back. It is actually slightly indented. You can actually feel the difference when you place your finger on it. Unless you have thick callouses on your fingers you can actually feel it without even looking.

To a moderator: Can we consolidate all of the FPS complaint threads into one? That way we have one stop shopping for FPS complaints.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Holy cow! I don't get this huge concern about the FPS location. People act like it's the end of the world. If it's a deal breaker then don't get the phone! There are like a half dozen different threads just on this one item. Sheesh!

Its not a big deal. Its only a big deal because personalities are chiming in their dislike and people want to be part of a group and so they chime in to. Nothing to see here.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Every phone has compromises. You will Never find a phone that does everything right.

I agree. If it's not one thing, then it's another. Everyone has different wants and needs. There is no way any phone company will be able to accommodate everyone. I know I have never had a perfect phone.