S8 or Note 8

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My prediction for the Note 8 is 6.5" 18 5:9 screen with fps under the screen and dual cameras. SPen, natch. I guarantee the screen will be larger than the S8+.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you are really invested in the Note line - perhaps you should play it safe and wait for the Note 8 to drop so you can do a phone-to-phone comparison.

anon(10206632)

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
S8 Plus then back to the Note line when it is resuscitated.

More than likely both......Ill keep my S8+ until the Note 8 comes out, then Ill Swappa it or re-wrap it for my wife as a new gift and get some brownie points....win, win either way
You guys are killing me. Stop the madness. I'm trying to be rational and stick this out until Note 8 and comments like this is not helping me. Stop it!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to be money savvy this time around. The Galaxy S line was never my phone of choice. I was kind of forced into it by the Note7 debacle. I am not buying phones outright and will not put $130 down on the S8+, as much as I'd rather have the bigger size.
For me, sticking it out with the S8 until the Note8 comes out is the cheapest option while having a new phone and still being able to get the Note8 when it comes out.
There's lots of stuff we'd like to have in life. Figure out what your priorities are for yourself and go from there.
After all, it is just a phone, not some huge long term investment.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If the S7 edge didn't give you the warm fuzzy, then you might want to wait for the Note to come out. The S8 has (arguably) minor upgrades over the S7 edge.

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I've decided I hate the narrow width and rounded display corners so much that I am going to wait for the Note 8 to come out. Plus they soaked me on a S7 when I was forced to return my Note 7, so I just can't get the S8+ then the Note 8.

Just hope they make it wider. That might be a deal killer for me. I so miss my Note 7. It was perfection.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If Note 8 is same display ratio as Note 7, Note 8 is the choice.
With the removal of these home button, I'm afraid those days are gone. Basically, having on screen navigation buttons adds the extra 7/10" to the display, making it the weird size. The S8 and S8+ for most purposes have more vertical real estate. Watching videos basically crops it back down to the original 5.1" and 5.5" size.
If they just make it 6.4" and make the phone just a few mm wider to at least get down to a 18:9 ratio, that would help IMO. They could keep the same height while making the screen larger at the same time.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After using the 8+ for an hour at Best Buy, the curved corners bugged me more than the narrow display. Watching video, games, or browsing web with the cut off corners reminded me of old school CRT monitors in a bad way.

Seriously, the curved corners did not grow on me or the other folks that tested who also had Notes. Our local BB has four on display.

On a positive note the 835 chipset was great with emulators I tested. Huge improvement over the 820/821.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
With the removal of these home button, I'm afraid those days are gone. Basically, having on screen navigation buttons adds the extra 7/10" to the display, making it the weird size. The S8 and S8+ for most purposes have more vertical real estate. Watching videos basically crops it back down to the original 5.1" and 5.5" size.
If they just make it 6.4" and make the phone just a few mm wider to at least get down to a 18:9 ratio, that would help IMO. They could keep the same height while making the screen larger at the same time.

I agree that an 18:9 ratio would probably be better I don't think watching videos crops it down to a 5.1 and 5.5 if that is the case we have not gained anything

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree that an 18:9 ratio would probably be better I don't think watching videos crops it down to a 5.1 and 5.5 if that is the case we have not gained anything
I'm sure it's pretty close. Someone will pull out a ruler when they get it and measure the screen on the YouTube videos.
You have to look at overall screen real estate in all usage, not just watching videos.
Whoever focuses only on this will not be happy with the cropping.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree its just that most videos I watch are YouTube videos and are they not all 16:9? I would like to know how big the screen is with the S8 and S8+ with videos in that format

And with the black bars I feel like I'm trading physical bezels for virtual bezels lol

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I intend on getting both S8 and Note 8 when it comes out. I've owned all of both lines except the S3 and Note 2. I even owned the Note 8 (tablet), 10.1 and 12.2 pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress