S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my S8 Plus but there are a few things.....

I keep getting "dqa Stopped Working" error message after the latest update.

Many games I am playing on the phone do not allow me to exit, on my old device, the Note 5 you could hit the back key on the bottom of the phone to exit out of a game but there is no back button on this device when games are played and one games from the home screen do not have an exit option.

Also, how do you take a screen shot?

minor things but hopefully I can figure them out.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Screen shot... hit the power and down volume at the same time.

To get a back button even in game you just have to swipe in from the left side it think (what ever side the home button is usually on)

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Anyways to change the input go to Settings, General Management, Language and Input, Onscreen Keyboard, Manage Keyboards and Turn off Samsung Voice Input. Save precious by not having to install a redundant keyboard.

Thank you for this! I wanted to use the Samsung keyboard, but the Samsung voice was killing me.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Im glad I finally left them after more than 10 years!! They always mess around with OUR phones!!
After being with Verizon for a while I am considering moving over to T-Mobile. I know every carrier has their own drawbacks, but T-Mobile has made great advancements in their network over the past few of years and works very well in my area. They also have much better pricing than Verizon and they don't remove as many features as Verizon does.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After being with Verizon for a while I am considering moving over to T-Mobile. I know every carrier has their own drawbacks, but T-Mobile has made great advancements in their network over the past few of years and works very well in my area. They also have much better pricing than Verizon and they don't remove as many features as Verizon does.

Smart choice, I went on my familys ATT plan. Going with a GSM carrier, you can use almost any unlocked phone on the planet. Not true with verizon or sprint.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Im glad I finally left them after more than 10 years!! They always mess around with OUR phones!!

You got to go to Google play and download a app called Device manager.
you put the email address and password in the boxes and it will find your mobile.
Don't guess anybody goes to a corporate Verizon store and ask any questions.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
You got to go to Google play and download a app called Device manager.
you put the email address and password in the boxes and it will find your mobile.
Don't guess anybody goes to a corporate Verizon store and ask any questions.
I already use Android Device Manager. It is limited in it's functionality compared to Find My Mobile.

I would rather have the ability to use Find My Mobile instead of it being taken away.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I already use Android Device Manager. It is limited in it's functionality compared to Find My Mobile.

I would rather have the ability to use Find My Mobile instead of it being taken away.

Talked with the Samsung dude at Best buy.
He said you got to get on yer computer to do find my mobile.
So I left and went to Verizon.
This is how they showed me to do it.
Find your own way.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Talked with the Samsung dude at Best buy.
He said you got to get on yer computer to do find my mobile.
So I left and went to Verizon.
This is how they showed me to do it.
Find your own way.
You can go to the website, but since Verizon has it disabled it will not access your phone.

No reason to be rude.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
First couple of days it ran like a champ. Now I'm starting to see the ever present Samsung latency issues, random drops in frame rates on the most basic of tasks, over aggressive app killing and the like. It's not super terrible, but coming from a Google Pixel it's night and day difference. Again Samsung you let me down. Tease me with your beautiful hardware only to be kicked in the face by poor software optimization.

Oh and changing the nav bar to another color other than white is broken. Once you open the keyboard it defaults back to white. That's how poorly Samsung software is optimized. Should have noticed that just in basic testing. I did find an app to keep it black, but I shouldn't need an app to fix a feature that's built into the phone.

Likely going back to the Pixel.
Wild how experience can be so different. No such issues with my 8+ and I have over 250 apps installed.

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I just used Samsung Pay for the first time on a grocery trip to Kroger. That was really cool and easy to use :D

:) New to Samsung Pay myself and loving it. I was surprised it even works with my apartment building's washing machines. Those machines have really wonky card readers so it's nice not having to swipe a card half dozen times to get it to read.

Don't forget to register through the Pay app for Samsung Rewards. S8 owners get 1600 free platinum points.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Was simply tryin to help.
Didn't seem like you wanted it.
I appreciate you trying to help. I was just pointing out some facts about Find My Mobile.

If you can tell me how to use Find My Mobile on your Verizon phone I am all ears. I have an S7 edge and there are differences. I know for a fact you cannot use it on an S7 edge. Since others were saying they cannot find it, I was assuming the S8 was the same.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The S7Edge I had on At&T you went to settings and went to search and typed in find my mobile.
From there you. followed what it had on the screen.
Typed the email addresses in and the passwords.
That is how samsung did it.
I called At&T customer service and they walked me threw it.

Seems they musta changed it for the S8 on Verizon
The app I posted is how they do it.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Really loving my new S8+ especially the VR
I am learning about downloading VR content like 360 degree movies and 3D from Videoder and watching them on KolorEyes.
Developments are continuing to happen; just 10 minutes ago I found that despite previous news you CAN reprogram the Bixby button. i use it for flashlight but looks like most any app will work.
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Imagine Samsung unintentionally making a blank programmable button; it may well turn out one of the best features of this phone. THANK YOU SAMSUNG!!!;)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
:) New to Samsung Pay myself and loving it. I was surprised it even works with my apartment building's washing machines. Those machines have really wonky card readers so it's nice not having to swipe a card half dozen times to get it to read.

Don't forget to register through the Pay app for Samsung Rewards. S8 owners get 1600 free platinum points.
I've got about 4300 pts now-eyeballing that $20 visa reward at 5000 pts

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've got about 4300 pts now-eyeballing that $20 visa reward at 5000 pts

Save your points...they had a sale around when the Note 7 was out 50% off points for Best Buy (and I think some others) gift cards. I got 2 $20 B-Buy for 2500 Points-each-... Might see that again...and as far as I know, the points don't expire?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo