S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Save your points...they had a sale around when the Note 7 was out 50% off points for Best Buy (and I think some others) gift cards. I got 2 $20 B-Buy for 2500 Points-each-... Might see that again...and as far as I know, the points don't expire?

I thought I read on the Samsung website somewhere that the points expire by the end of the second month after you earn them. Is this not true...they don't expire, or it is a longer period?

And another question: are the points just based on total number of purchases, or do they also depend upon how much you actually spend?

Njbrandon

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Noticing a lot of stuttering and lag when switching apps or scrolling websites, and even the keyboard. Coming from an iPhone never experience any of this.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Checked again to just confirm impressions of the display after the fifth time comparing content with my Note 4. I luv everything about the 8+, but prefer the content on the Note 4 since more display surface is used with no need for cropping to fill the screen. If the portrait display was as wide as the Note 4 I'd be sold, but guess that will be the Note 8.

Since I do luv everything else (well, not the Bix button), tried to will myself into liking the display ratio. Display whining aside, great device. The BB demos do not do the 8+ justice, since resources tied up to the Samsung demo software.
I doubt it. Samsung is going to try hard to push the long thin look to be the new normal. I hate it but with Apple apparently following suit I'm afraid I'll be stuck with a long thin phone when I have to replace my V20

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I got a screen protector from Verizon,
They put it on.
I like the Glass Screen protector

Got a otterbox Defender Screenless Edition case.
It comes with the clip so you can put it in yer belt. Clip it on yer pants or whatever.
Feels great.
Could you take a photo with a camera or another phone to show how it looks in the case with the screen protector on? Thanks if you can!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I always sync my data right before a reset. I usually only lose some of the data from that day.
I have found when I go from an older phone to newer one some of my fav samsung apps are no longer available for the newer phone. Reconnect to older phone and I can get them again. The apps don't even appear in the Samsung store on the newer phone (which was a Note 7. The older phone a Note 3)

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read on the Samsung website somewhere that the points expire by the end of the second month after you earn them. Is this not true...they don't expire, or it is a longer period?

And another question: are the points just based on total number of purchases, or do they also depend upon how much you actually spend?

1. They don't expire as far as I know...definitely not after 2 months, I've been stacking them up since January. I might email them and ask though, I'd hate to lose them

2. You earn points for each purchase, not per $ spent. Points are anywhere from 10 to 40 depending on what lever you're at. I'm at platinum every month, and they rack up quick.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just wasn't really satisfied. For the $850 price tag, it was a bit much. It really felt like an S7 Edge with a bigger screen really, except the fingerprint scanner is in a worse position. I like how you can easily use the phone with one hand, but the aspect ratio is way too difficult to get used to. Settings menu is more confusing than ever, and the bixby button always accidentally gets pressed. The back glass and fingerprint scanner scratches easily, and the speaker quality is mediocre (because of the IP68 water-resistance). The worst thing about it is not being able to install a screen protector and or case without the screen protector coming off due to the curves. The only thing cool is the VR integration and the VR bundle that was included, I really enjoy VR nowdays and Samsung is the best at that. Might return it and look into an S7 Edge since it's cheaper.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Have you had the 7edge before? Thats what I had before the 8+ and for me, the 8+ is significantly better. I haven't had any lag issues, no heating up, battery is great, and all the features work really well. FPS works better than the 7edge one I had did

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Have you had the 7edge before? Thats what I had before the 8+ and for me, the 8+ is significantly better. I haven't had any lag issues, no heating up, battery is great, and all the features work really well. FPS works better than the 7edge one I had did
I agree the fps is WAY better IMO.

Commodus

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't see any red hue on my VZW phone. I wonder if red hue on the edges is limited to one specific carrier or its across the board? Did Samsung make all s8 phones in Vietman?

It's likely down to either individual factories or even specific production runs. I don't believe it's carrier-specific.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I left At&t.
Lost a lot of Bloatware

Phones changes every year.
You got a new operating system with Nougat.
Git used to it.
There you go being rude again. It is not necessary to be mean. It is not helpful in any way and just upsets people.

Please try to treat people on here as you would like them to treat youツ Thanks!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
There you go being rude again. It is not necessary to be mean. It is not helpful in any way and just upsets people.

Please try to treat people on here as you would like them to treat youツ Thanks!

I'm simply staging facts.
Not trying to be rude to anybody.
It seems people try the wrong channels to get a problem fixed.
Wonder why they haven't gone to their carrier and tried to get their problems resolves if they couldn't find the answer here.
I have had phones for over 15 yrs.
And why do you keep coming on wanting to correct me.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm simply staging facts.
Not trying to be rude to anybody.
It seems people try the wrong channels to get a problem fixed.
Wonder why they haven't gone to their carrier and tried to get their problems resolves if they couldn't find the answer here.
I have had phones for over 15 yrs.
And why do you keep coming on wanting to correct me.
I do not keep trying to correct you. You are over looking what people have said and what you are saying yourself. There is no problem with pointing out facts, I am just asking if you could just be a little nicer in doing so.