05-07-2017 06:18 PM
82 1234
tools
    I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
    Is Samsung being logical or trendy?
    One big reason is wireless charging. It doesn't work with other materials.
    05-01-2017 07:27 PM
    One big reason is wireless charging. It doesn't work with other materials.
    Ugh
    05-01-2017 07:28 PM
    I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
    2 reasons:

1: Wireless connectivity which includes wireless charging support and Samsung Pay (Sammy paid $250 million for LoopPay's patented technology, which puts them ahead of all other phones in terms of mobile payments). A metal back exterior casing will block the wireless connections, this is exactly why metal phones have antenna lines. Unless they did what the Pixel did and make an awkward half glass half metal back phone, they will stick with glass (I'd prefer the S8 design over Pixel). It's Gorilla Glass, so it's just as tough as the front glass.

2: Beauty. Who doesn't think the all glass design isn't beautiful. It looks like a piece of diamond jewelry, being all glass and curved. Sure, they did sorta ripped off the look of the iconic iPhone 4, but they had a reason to.

Samsung for the longest time had been made fun of for using low grade materials such as plastic which made creaky sounds when you grip the phone (my S5 was very creaky). However, it made more sense; it allowed for a removable battery (with the option for wireless charging if you purchase a special back casing), and also allowed wireless connections to transmit in and out from the back exterior. It also was much more durable because it's plastic and can't shatter. The majority wants wireless charging, Samsung Pay, and a premium/beautiful phone so that's why we have the S8 today.
    05-01-2017 07:34 PM
    Does nobody remember the S7 active is not glass and has every single feature the other phones in that line have? Or did nobody read the last 3 pages before replying.

Tpu does not interfere with wireless charging or Samsung pay.

Wow.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    05-01-2017 08:15 PM
    Does nobody remember the S7 active is not glass and has every single feature the other phones in that line have? Or did nobody read the last 3 pages before replying.

Tpu does not interfere with wireless charging or Samsung pay.

Wow.
    I've never seen a phone made of tpu.
    05-01-2017 08:25 PM
    I've never seen a phone made of tpu.
    You've never seen an S7 active? The entire back is tpu.
    05-01-2017 08:25 PM
    It is pretty though lol.

I hope you don't take offense to debating your reasons. Don't mean to offend you, I just don't buy in to the reasonings they give for glass.

With as many people that place a case over the phone, I'd think they'd want to use materials to make those cases unnecessary. That's one thing I loved about the S7 active, no case needed.
    No offense. Nothing wrong with going back and forth on an issue . This was nothing compared to the Flossy thread lol
    LineKill likes this.
    05-01-2017 08:26 PM
    You've never seen an S7 active? The entire back is tpu.
    I was not aware that it was tpu. I can't stand the active phones so I am not familiar with them.
    05-01-2017 08:30 PM
    I was not aware that it was tpu. I can't stand the active phones so I am not familiar with them.
    The sides and back are all rubber and it doesn't interfere with wireless fast charging or Samsung pay. I used them both alot and never an issue.

The S7 active, after the debacle of water resistance, was a great phone with a massive 4000ma battery. It was a beast.
    05-01-2017 08:33 PM
    Both the wife and me got a case the 2nd day we got our phones.
    That took care of the problem of dropping the phones.
    Or having them to slide off something that we lay them on.
    I got the Otterbox defender screenless case.
    its pretty well protected.

Not taking a chance carrying it around naked.
    Too nice of a phone.
    05-01-2017 10:04 PM
    Because glass always looks good and sleek. I love glass and wouldn't want any other material.
    05-01-2017 11:02 PM
    This whole idea that glass is the only material that will allow wireless charging is so dumb that I had to chime in. You do realize that even though its glass, placing a thick otterbox case on the phone now gives the phone 2 layers to penetrate in glass and rubber to wireless charge, yet the phones still seem to wireless charge without a problem. So enlighten me as to why the back of the phone could not have just been a grippy rubber or plastic and still been able to wireless charge since its only a single layer of plastic and not a glass back as well as a plastic case. Just ridiculous whoever came up with this ideology.
    Jon44 likes this.
    05-02-2017 07:24 AM
    Yes s7 edge was very slippery...but to my suprise G6 having a glass back it not slippery at all...G6 has done a good job..using G6 naked since 4 days no issue
    05-02-2017 08:04 AM
    This whole idea that glass is the only material that will allow wireless charging is so dumb that I had to chime in. You do realize that even though its glass, placing a thick otterbox case on the phone now gives the phone 2 layers to penetrate in glass and rubber to wireless charge, yet the phones still seem to wireless charge without a problem. So enlighten me as to why the back of the phone could not have just been a grippy rubber or plastic and still been able to wireless charge since its only a single layer of plastic and not a glass back as well as a plastic case. Just ridiculous whoever came up with this ideology.
    We've already discussed this 2 pages ago. Check it out.
    LineKill likes this.
    05-02-2017 09:39 AM
    Premium look and feel. It's a gorgeous device.
    eric002 likes this.
    05-02-2017 02:26 PM
    I think they would love for you to buy a case. It's just one more thing that they can produce and make money off of. It is really good to have, though, so im definitely not complaining
    05-02-2017 06:42 PM
    Where did I say it was necessary? That's how this stuff starts. People read what they want into what you say.
    Thank you. It's nice to not be the only one pointing out the emperor has no clothes...
    05-02-2017 08:17 PM
    Ugh
    Lmfao! Keep up, son
    05-02-2017 08:20 PM
    We've already discussed this 2 pages ago. Check it out.
    And whatever it's wrong. My note 3 w plastic sammy charging back wirelessly charges fine. That charging back is plastic and I have a thick plastic case. Charges great. Glass is pretty period. Plastic is better.
    05-02-2017 09:24 PM
    And whatever it's wrong. My note 3 w plastic sammy charging back wirelessly charges fine. That charging back is plastic and I have a thick plastic case. Charges great. Glass is pretty period. Plastic is better.
    A matter of opinion
    05-02-2017 09:27 PM
    A matter of opinion.
    I don't think so but I guess that's an opinion. I see no advantage besides appearance.
    05-02-2017 09:29 PM
    I don't think so but I guess that's an opinion. I see no advantage besides appearance.
    Appearance means a lot. People like to devalue it because plastic certainly is more durable. But I like beautiful phones, and the S8 and LG are two of the best looking phones I've ever held.
    05-02-2017 09:32 PM
    Appearance means a lot. People like to devalue it because plastic certainly is more durable. But I like beautiful phones, and the S8 and LG are two of the best looking phones I've ever held.
    I didn't demean looks. I simply said plastic is better functionally in every way except looks. This business about glass being better for charging or reception is silly. I suppose you could argue glass is a better heat conductor and is not flammable but u slap a case on it and both are irrelevant and so are looks.
    05-02-2017 09:47 PM
    I didn't demean looks. I simply said plastic is better functionally in every way except looks. This business about glass being better for charging or reception is silly. I suppose you could argue glass is a better heat conductor and is not flammable but u slap a case on it and both are irrelevant and so are looks.
    Just because I put a case on a phone doesn't mean I will accept it looking like crap (S5). I go back and forth between a case and naked, depending on the situation, so it's not irrelevant to me.
    05-02-2017 10:04 PM
    Not just looks. It has a more solid feel. Plastic has more flex to it.

I agree that plastic is more functional. It is easier to hold and deal with shock better. But to say that looks become irrelevant with a case is also wrong. I can take the case off my beautiful phone when I want it to be pretty. I can add different levels of cases for different levels of protection.

The reality is that people don't just buy stuff for function. I care what my couch looks like. I care how it feels. I'm sure a plastic couch would last longer, and I don't care. I don't much care what my lawnmower looks like. Nor my hammer. I do care what my dishes look like. And my glasses.

People value more than just function, and only they can decide where that balance lies for them. Quite honestly, I think it is hard to justify buying an $800 phone based on function. The cost/benefit does not make sense from a functional point of view. But we are not just buying a device. We are buying the experience of using it. For many people, the appearance and feel of a device is worth money and compromise.
    05-02-2017 10:13 PM
82 1234