What's the Point of Having a (Slippery) Glass Back?

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I love the feel of this phone. I've currently been rocking it naked for the weekend but will slap my sparkly absolutely no good for wireless charging case on it when I go back to work tomorrow! I prefer the look of this to the Samsung S3 which was all plastic and when you dropped it everything fell apart, the case back, the battery, the sim card!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I love the feel of this phone. I've currently been rocking it naked for the weekend but will slap my sparkly absolutely no good for wireless charging case on it when I go back to work tomorrow! I prefer the look of this to the Samsung S3 which was all plastic and when you dropped it everything fell apart, the case back, the battery, the sim card!
Same as me, however this is the case ordered. Very thin, minimalistic and stylish all at the same time. Haha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5795146

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You guys still clinging to the wireless charging excuse are not seeing the big picture. If that were the case, these phones wouldn't charge or charge properly wirelessly unless you used a case made out of glass...

Not true at all. There is such a difference between a thin rubber case and a material covering sensitive phone components it's not even funny.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's true. I mean on my old nexus 6p for example, it was made out of all aluminum. Bow, in theory it sounds awesome, however in reality it without a case, and since the phone had flat edges all around, it was damn near impossible to pickup off of a flat surface! That's why I unfortunately wound up dropping it once. Even naked, the galaxy s8 isn't impossible to pickup off of a flat surface thankfully.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Then explain how there is no such thing as a glass case, but yet you can get cases out of rubber, leather, etc that still allow for wireless charging...

I rely on wireless charging, and have since the glass backed Note 5, Note 7, S7 Edge, and now the S8+. I have used cases on all of them, and wireless charging works awesome.

Samsung used glass, in part because it is a trend set by Apple, in part because it is sleek looking and feeling, etc

Astthetics was already given as to why Samsung uses glass. I was simply adding wireless charging to the list. We can also add reception to the list if you would like. There may be other reasons as to why Samsung uses glass backs as well.

You kind of answered the question yourself, every phone you listed that you rely on wireless charging for has a glass back.

ThrottleJohnny furthermore explains in post #24 . In addition, if you had a glass case on a rubber phone you are not going to achieve wireless chargingツ

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Most people use a case, so all the "plastic looks/feels cheap" arguments become pretty silly for the vast majority.

This logic can also be applied to the people complaining about the glass back. Why does it matter if you're just going to slap a case on it? Goes both ways.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This logic can also be applied to the people complaining about the glass back. Why does it matter if you're just going to slap a case on it? Goes both ways.
Thats very true. I know that at least for me, I do love the shininess of the phone!

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
We don't seem to be understanding each other, so I'll try one more time to explain this. The question was, why does Samsung use glass on the backs of their phones? Someone came in and answered that they do that because of wireless charging. I then said that made no sense, because you can still put a rubber or leather case over your glass backed phone, and STILL achieve reliable wireless charging. Therefore, glass is not used for wireless charging reasons, because other materials on a case still allow for wireless charging. I pointed out multiple other phones I've owned with glass backs that I had cases on, that all had functional wireless charging

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
- Wireless "FAST" Charging

- Premium look and feel

- Stronger bands (signal output)

There's always more than one reason to make such a drastic change.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
- Wireless "FAST" Charging

- Premium look and feel

- Stronger bands (signal output)

There's always more than one reason to make such a drastic change.
Gotta disagree. S7 active has everyone of those features and does not use a glass back.

Glass is absolutely not necessary for wireless charging.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Where did I say it was necessary? That's how this stuff starts. People read what they want into what you say.
Because you've mentioned it more than once as a reason for a glass back in this thread.

Also, I separated the 2 comments because the 2nd wasnt directed towards you but as a response to the thread in general.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Because you've mentioned it more than once as a reason for a glass back in this thread.

A reason, yes. Not a necessity. There are others ways to charge wirelessly. Using glass as a material is more effective for Samsung to achieve wireless fast charging.

LG and others are adopting the same method.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
A reason, yes. Not a necessity. There are others ways to charge wirelessly. Using glass as a material is more effective for Samsung to achieve wireless fast charging.
But it's not, and the active line is proof of that. Glass does not equal fast wireless charging in any way.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The only reason for glass is for the "premium" look people demanded for years. Samsung themselves have proven they don't need glass for any features they currently use by releasing those same features in the S7 active and soon to be released S8 active.

The problem is, consumers complained until they got what they wanted and now want what they had back.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Wireless charging and signal is what I'm going with (like others have mentioned). Rumor has it that Apple will go back to glass so they can get in the wireless charging game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer