Lag after one week?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am surprised when people do not restart their phone at least once a week. What surprises me even more is when they are having problems, someone suggests they restart their phone and they come back and say that fixed it.

Just a friendly tip or two, this is not to you munnarg, it is to everyone. You really should restart your phone at least once a week. The first thing you should do when your are having a problem is to restart your phoneツ

Even more, there is a setting specifically to schedule one once a week at your sleep time so you won't even notice it, other than it will ask you for your full password or Pin when you unlock it the first time after it.

Settings-General Management-Reset-Auto Restart

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Even more, there is a setting specifically to schedule one once a week at your sleep time so you won't even notice it, other than it will ask you for your full password or Pin when you unlock it the first time after it.

Thank you

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Beware of doing this overnight if your phone is your alarm clock.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Beware of doing this overnight if your phone is your alarm clock.

I don't use my phone as my Alarm clock but yes, thanks for the warning as I really don't know if the alarm gets triggered if your phone is not unlocked ( I mean first unlock after a reboot). But the default is a Saturday at 2:00AM, so unless you use your Alarm clock to wake you up on Saturdays it shouldn't be a problem anyways.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For all the ppl suggesting to do this or that, you really shouldnt have to for a top of the line phone in 2017!! I should be able to use main stream apps like FB and not worry about lagging down this phone. My old Pixel XL is more than 6 months old. I never have to restart/clear cache it or try different apps, it just doesn't lag.

Samsung should just slap stock Android on it. Make their UI a launcher if ppl want to use it. Make edge panels a app, if ppl want to use it and so on. That way we get security updates faster. I'm sure it will save Samsung money not having to develop a new UI for each phone.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
No lag to speak of. Only thing I have noticed is that Bixby doesn't launch when I hit the physical button.

Try pressing quickly rather than a longer normal press. They updated the button to respond to a fast, quick press rather than a longer one. Presumably to prevent accidental presses in your pocket or when pulling it out of a pocket.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
For all the ppl suggesting to do this or that, you really shouldnt have to for a top of the line phone in 2017!! I should be able to use main stream apps like FB and not worry about lagging down this phone. My old Pixel XL is more than 6 months old. I never have to restart/clear cache it or try different apps, it just doesn't lag.

Samsung should just slap stock Android on it. Make their UI a launcher if ppl want to use it. Make edge panels a app, if ppl want to use it and so on. That way we get security updates faster. I'm sure it will save Samsung money not having to develop a new UI for each phone.

Most of us DON'T have to do any of this, and our phones are running fine.

If I want a stock Android phone, I'll buy one.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Most of us DON'T have to do any of this, and our phones are running fine.

If I want a stock Android phone, I'll buy one.

I think there's a certain segment of each phone user base that has issues with performance over time, and while some complain about the lag, most average users likely use the phone just fine throughout it's life. Stock Android is great but it's not everyone's cup of tea. For me, I am loving the new Samsung UI :)

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I buy the HARDWARE I like, the SW doesn't matter much to me because I'll be putting Nova Prime on it anyways. Just so happens Samsung usually happens to have the best hardware IMO.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S8+ for one week, and it's now starting to lag significantly intermittently. I've cleared the device cache and that helps for a while. But inevitably it comes back. I've used Package Disabler Pro to disable T-Mobile TV and similar apps. I'm not using any apps that I don't use on other phones that don't have this lag. I love this phone, but am wondering if Sammy still hasn't figured out the lag issue. Anyone else seeing this yet?

Try disabling animations in developer mode: go to settings, about phone, software info, and keep on pressing build number until dev mode is enabled​. Then go to developer options and then turn off animation scale. Also disable all unnecessary apps and features: Google+, Google Play Newsstand, disable weather widget update, disable Bixby.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I buy the HARDWARE I like, the SW doesn't matter much to me because I'll be putting Nova Prime on it anyways. Just so happens Samsung usually happens to have the best hardware IMO.

I CONCUR the hardware is the best, except for the FPS location and the bixby button location. But im not sitting there just staring at the hardware. I actually use the software and it needs to work correctly. hehehe

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I CONCUR the hardware is the best, except for the FPS location and the bixby button location. But im not sitting there just staring at the hardware. I actually use the software and it needs to work correctly. hehehe

I can't disagree with anything you said lol.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

At this stage, if Samsung just slapped stock Android on, I honestly wouldn't buy their phones. Say what you will about the latest version of their UI, but it's not the Samsung of old, and they have added a significant number of useful enhancements over stock Android. I miss those enhancements when I use a device with stock AOSP.