What insurance did you choose?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Went with Samsung's complete care, 11.99 a moth $99 deductible. I hate carrier insurance especially since they have the highest deductibles.

This is true but carrier insurance covers loss and theft. Most others don't. Carrier insurance also typically covers the active device on the line which could be beneficial if you switch phones a lot

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The deductible for the Verizon S8 is $149.00 and the deductible for the S8+ is $199.00.
So do you think it's worth buying insurance for the phone? I'm reading reports that the front screen replacement for the S8 plus is around $200. Seems like insurance might be not as important on the S8 when you factor in the rates and deductibles. I know with asurion you are limited to 2 claims in 12 months, so unless your accident prone insurance might not be a good investment on the S8 series.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So do you think it's worth buying insurance for the phone? I'm reading reports that the front screen replacement for the S8 plus is around $200. Seems like insurance might be not as important on the S8 when you factor in the rates and deductibles. I know with asurion you are limited to 2 claims in 12 months, so unless your accident prone insurance might not be a good investment on the S8 series.
You must be joking. The first smartphone to crack on all 4 sides in a drop test, squretrades drop test I think. It is not a bad investment with the s8.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I will just provide you with a little bit if information and let you answer that question. I am just talking about Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage since that is who you are with. Their insurance also covers theft and loss which does make a difference.

Total Equipment Coverage is $108.00 per year ($9.00 per month). The deductible is $199.00 per claim. You can file 3 claims per year.

You are going to want a Samsung authorized service center. It will cost approximately $300.00 for the screen replacement. Geek Squad is an authorized repair center, they currently do not repair S8/S8+ screens so you will have to find another center until they do.

If you make 1 claim for damage, it will cost you $307.00 ($108.00 + $199.00) for the year. If you pay for it out of pocket it will be roughly the same. If your phone is lost or stolen it will cost you roughly $800.00 as opposed to $307.00, a $493.00 difference. If you file more than one claim you will spend less money throughout the year. If you don't file any claims you will be out the $108.00.

A claim will get you a like new phone that has been thoroughly inspected, sometimes new if you are lucky. Having it repaired you will have the same phone, which could be good or bad thing. Hopefully the repair does not effect the waterproofing, it shouldn't if it is an authorized repair center and they guarantee their work, but you will have to deal with it.

There are other variables and I most likely missed something, but I am tired. I hope that made a little sense. I know none of that answers your question, but maybe it will help you see it from a different perspective and give you something to chew on. Then again, maybe notツ

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You must be joking. The first smartphone to crack on all 4 sides in a drop test, squretrades drop test I think. It is not a bad investment with the s8.
Well 3 sides are part of the front screen, and obviously that would be the most expensive, the back probably isn't $100. All drops are not the same. So no, I'm not kidding. Sounds to me like the insurance companies are in a good spot on this one. Samsung premium will cost $132 a year, plus the $100 deductible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well 3 sides are part of the front screen, and obviously that would be the most expensive, the back probably isn't $100. All drops are not the same. So no, I'm not kidding. Sounds to me like the insurance companies are in a good spot on this one. Samsung premium will cost $132 a year, plus the $100 deductible.

Insurance companies are out to make money so of course they are going to be in a good spot overall. It really just depends on your needs. Verizon insurance will send you a replacement overnight... The screen replacement out of pocket will require you to find a local shop, if you want it fixed next day. That could be difficult if you are on vacation.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Insurance companies are out to make money so of course they are going to be in a good spot overall. It really just depends on your needs. Verizon insurance will send you a replacement overnight... The screen replacement out of pocket will require you to find a local shop, if you want it fixed next day. That could be difficult if you are on vacation.
That is true. Getting things fast will cost a premium.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Finally decided to sign up for Samsung premium care. They are giving me a free month from the day I signed up. Did anyone with premium care get anything showing they are insured? I just got any email confirmation for my order. I also read in the fine print that if you didn't sign up right when you got the phone that you would have to run some kind of device diagnostic test before you buy to confirm the phone is in good shape. I didn't see any device diagnostic thing at all and they didn't ask when or where I purchased or for a receipt. I don't know what that's about, I wish their was a way to confirm I'm insured.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Finally decided to sign up for Samsung premium care. They are giving me a free month from the day I signed up. Did anyone with premium care get anything showing they are insured? I just got any email confirmation for my order. I also read in the fine print that if you didn't sign up right when you got the phone that you would have to run some kind of device diagnostic test before you buy to confirm the phone is in good shape. I didn't see any device diagnostic thing at all and they didn't ask when or where I purchased or for a receipt. I don't know what that's about, I wish their was a way to confirm I'm insured.
A 3 hour call to Samsung should clear things up. 😂

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I self-insure. Each month, instead of paying an insurance premium, I set aside $10 in case I ever break a phone (hasn't happened yet). I've been doing that for seven years, so I've now saved $840 that I would otherwise have given away to an insurance company.

Smart idea. I like it.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Decided about 20 years ago to write down the cost every time I chose to op out of insurance or extended warrantees. This goes for everything from phone's to TV's and so on. I obviously insure my Auto's and Home's but nothing else. I am just over $30,000 ahead and fortunately never once needed either the extended warrantee or insurance so with this amount ahead if I break a phone so be it buy a new one.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The only thing samsung doesn't cover is loss or theft, which I could careless cause I have never lost or had a phone stolen. I'm sure at some point it might happen. My phone is always in my front pocket anyway and I dont just leave it on surfaces while I'm out. I check it and it goes back into my pocket.

I watch people with their devices all the time just leave them laying in a bar with their back turned or restaurant table. I don't see how someone can be so careless with something that has become so personal and holds so much private information.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

You have a month to get it after purchase I did mine a few days after purchase. It took about 2 weeks before I got my email stating I am fully covered by premium care.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I self-insure. Each month, instead of paying an insurance premium, I set aside $10 in case I ever break a phone (hasn't happened yet). I've been doing that for seven years, so I've now saved $840 that I would otherwise have given away to an insurance company.
Great idea and certainly better than giving it away.

I don't buy I insurance or extended warranty for that matter.

Up here it's the reason to rip people off by selling it privately and then reporting it lost or stolen that blacklist the phone.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You have a month to get it after purchase I did mine a few days after purchase. It took about 2 weeks before I got my email stating I am fully covered by premium care.

I know it's 30 days for most insurance. Premium Care terms of service says it only needs be bought within the last 365 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa