Dropped my phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah i had edited my above post to add wouldnt really add a great amount of protection... scratch protection and maybe a tempered glass would help front. but an option over completely naked.

A thicker back skin could help just a tiny bit maybe?

At first, I was thinking of that. However with a dbrand skin or any other similar skin for that matter, I can't see how that would also help prevent a cracked screen from dropping the phone a little bit from the ground. Aren't skins supposed to just be fashionable? For example if I just skin the back of the phone, and I'm always laying the phone down on a flat surface how are you ever supposed to see the skin?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah i had edited my above post to add wouldnt really add a great amount of protection... scratch protection and maybe a tempered glass would help front. but an option over completely naked.

A thicker back skin could help just a tiny bit maybe?
Yeah, true that. I'll have to think about that. I just haven't need a Cheese's screen protector in years. Also, for the Galaxy S8, I have read reviews that a lot of those tempered glass screen protectors don't fit the curved Edge screen very well at all and they always pop off. Have you heard the same thing?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's cracked falling half an inch off the ground?? HALF AN INCH?!! :eek:

Honestly, I don't think an entire iPhone screen would shatter from a half inch fall. Most phones shouldn't

Any pics? Keep us updated... What I'm curious is if it develops hairline cracks from initial crack over time.

That surprised me too. I can't imagine any phone (or any THING for that matter) cracking in a half inch fall!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That surprised me too. I can't imagine any phone (or any THING for that matter) cracking in a half inch fall!
Okay might have been like an inch or so I'm a bad judge of measurements but like I said it was a regular park bench that I was laying down on the phone head cement.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, since you wouldn't be using a case you wouldn't have to be concerned with pop off like some because they use cases that pop them off. I don't like what I read about the tempered S8 glass that only has adhesive on the edges cause it doesn't sound too great a seal.

But I have been seeing the video on the WhiteStone Dome Glass how it uses a liquid that seals the entire screen. Be wary if the crack has gone through cause with that liquid adhesive don't want the liquid seeping into the phone.

Maybe a plastic protector like the Official Samsung if you can find it... something just to keep the glass covered and also over the cracked area might help it keep the crack from spreading.

You're gonna have to check out some vids and see what sounds best to you cause my suggestions are not based on first hand/owner knowledge.

Yeah, true that. I'll have to think about that. I just haven't need a Cheese's screen protector in years. Also, for the Galaxy S8, I have read reviews that a lot of those tempered glass screen protectors don't fit the curved Edge screen very well at all and they always pop off. Have you heard the same thing?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, since you wouldn't be using a case you wouldn't have to be concerned with pop off like some because they use cases that pop them off. I don't like what I read about the tempered S8 glass that only has adhesive on the edges cause it doesn't sound too great a seal.

But I have been seeing the video on the WhiteStone Dome Glass how it uses a liquid that seals the entire screen. Be wary if the crack has gone through cause with that liquid adhesive don't want the liquid seeping into the phone.

Maybe a plastic protector like the Official Samsung if you can find it... something just to keep the glass covered and also over the cracked area might help it keep the crack from spreading.

You're gonna have to check out some vids and see what sounds best to you cause my suggestions are not based on first hand/owner knowledge.
Yeah that's true thanks for the help I appreciate it. For now I'm just going to be super super careful as much as I can be and try to save up money in the future and go from there. Thanks everyone for helping though I appreciate the help.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine cracked from a short distance. It was in my front pocket while I was getting in a coupe and straight to the ground it went. Ironically, it fell after I was basically already in the car. Two centimeters more and it would have probably landed in the car, darn. No case, no screen protector, just a Dbrand. Gave the skin only thing a try for the first time, lesson learned lol

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine cracked from a short distance. It was in my front pocket while I was getting in a coupe and straight to the ground it went. Ironically, it fell after I was basically already in the car. Two centimeters more and it would have probably landed in the car, darn. No case, no screen protector, just a Dbrand. Gave the skin only thing a try for the first time, lesson learned lol
Hey like I said, I was thinking of the dbrand skin but it's only in first that I can fashion. And I wouldn't put on the front I would really only put on the back of the phone and since your phone is usually on a flat surface laying down I'm never see the skin whatsoever unless you're holding it in your hand. The times and you have your phone in your pocket you still don't see the skin so I just don't get the point. And you have a case is a great idea but it messes up the look and feel and the sex appeal of the phone overall. My thought is this by a phone that looks great and so attractive why covered up? Yeah I know it's bezel-less and it's for safety but it doesn't make sense to me.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It's cracked falling half an inch off the ground?? HALF AN INCH?!! :eek:

Honestly, I don't think an entire iPhone screen would shatter from a half inch fall. Most phones shouldn't

Any pics? Keep us updated... What I'm curious is if it develops hairline cracks from initial crack over time.

Yeah I'm trying to picture what a park bench standing 1/2 inch off the ground looks like. Not doubting the OP, just curious.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm trying to picture what a park bench standing 1/2 inch off the ground looks like. Not doubting the OP, just curious.
Yeah like I said the distance was a normal distance I just can't judge distance. Just a normal park bench it dropped and it bounced twice. I was shocked at a crack but my dad helped me fix the phone screen a little and smooth out the corner.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
A park bench is probably 20 inches off the ground. I can see how someone could confuse that with a 1/2 inch. 🤣🤣

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If you are a person that is prone to dropping their phones often you really need to think carefully on the S8. Accidents happen but IMO you increase your chances depending on the phone you choose. Me, since the iPhone 1 I've never cracked or broken a phone and hardly ever drop my phone. But I know people that somehow crack a phone every year... those users are better off with one of those Catepillar phones or Panasonic tough book type devices lol.

Check @ 1 minute mark... from Corning themselves... IMO The curved glass really toss out any strength claims on the GG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_UEhdVAjE

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you are a person that is prone to dropping their phones often you really need to think carefully on the S8. Accidents happen but IMO you increase your chances depending on the phone you choose. Me, since the iPhone 1 I've never cracked or broken a phone and hardly ever drop my phone. But I know people that somehow crack a phone every year... those users are better off with one of those Catepillar phones or Panasonic tough book type devices lol.

Check @ 1 minute mark... from Corning themselves... IMO The curved glass really toss out any strength claims on the GG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU_UEhdVAjE
No no I realize that. I'm anal about protecting my phone. This is the first time in years that I've actually dropped my phone at all! You're right though.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday, I was at a park for a few minutes laying down on a wooden park bench like half an inch off the ground and I had my Galaxy S8 in my pocket and then fortunately it accidentally slid out of my pocket and dropped on the cement the concrete. It's cracked a little bit on the bottom left-hand side of my phone and on the top right is scratched a little bit but nothing serious. Thankfully, the screen is only cracked a little bit, and 100% usable. I don't like using my case because it's so bulky and annoying. I called Samsung and there is a repair center near me in New Jersey, and I inquired as to how much a replacement Gorilla Glass 5 screen would be and they said $250 which is almost half the money on the phone! So I'm just going to use my phone the way it is for now. I just want to share my story with everyone else.

Stick a screen protector on it to help mitigate any further cracking. But year, $250 is probably about the going rate for an OEM repair and warranty of the replacement screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Stick a screen protector on it to help mitigate any further cracking. But year, $250 is probably about the going rate for an OEM repair and warranty of the replacement screen.
Yeah apparently $250 is the going rate. I just don't find it worth it so I'm using the ohone with slightly cracked screen for now. Like I said, it works absolutely fine. Thankfully and I'm being super super careful and safe even more so than I was before honestly. Thank you to everyone again for your suggestions I appreciate it immensely

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I would say a wet application screen protector would be the best to protect it from further breaking or spreading of the cracks. However who knows what a wet application would do with the cracked screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's a good point. Who knows, always good food for thought. Thank you! Other than that, my phones fine of course. I love it! For what I use I use it for, i definitely get awesome battery out of it that'll last me more than a day.