06-09-2017 06:26 PM
61 123
tools
    Well, since you wouldn't be using a case you wouldn't have to be concerned with pop off like some because they use cases that pop them off. I don't like what I read about the tempered S8 glass that only has adhesive on the edges cause it doesn't sound too great a seal.

But I have been seeing the video on the WhiteStone Dome Glass how it uses a liquid that seals the entire screen. Be wary if the crack has gone through cause with that liquid adhesive don't want the liquid seeping into the phone.

Maybe a plastic protector like the Official Samsung if you can find it... something just to keep the glass covered and also over the cracked area might help it keep the crack from spreading.

You're gonna have to check out some vids and see what sounds best to you cause my suggestions are not based on first hand/owner knowledge.
    Yeah that's true thanks for the help I appreciate it. For now I'm just going to be super super careful as much as I can be and try to save up money in the future and go from there. Thanks everyone for helping though I appreciate the help.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-03-2017 01:29 PM
    Mine cracked from a short distance. It was in my front pocket while I was getting in a coupe and straight to the ground it went. Ironically, it fell after I was basically already in the car. Two centimeters more and it would have probably landed in the car, darn. No case, no screen protector, just a Dbrand. Gave the skin only thing a try for the first time, lesson learned lol
    06-04-2017 06:22 AM
    Mine cracked from a short distance. It was in my front pocket while I was getting in a coupe and straight to the ground it went. Ironically, it fell after I was basically already in the car. Two centimeters more and it would have probably landed in the car, darn. No case, no screen protector, just a Dbrand. Gave the skin only thing a try for the first time, lesson learned lol
    Hey like I said, I was thinking of the dbrand skin but it's only in first that I can fashion. And I wouldn't put on the front I would really only put on the back of the phone and since your phone is usually on a flat surface laying down I'm never see the skin whatsoever unless you're holding it in your hand. The times and you have your phone in your pocket you still don't see the skin so I just don't get the point. And you have a case is a great idea but it messes up the look and feel and the sex appeal of the phone overall. My thought is this by a phone that looks great and so attractive why covered up? Yeah I know it's bezel-less and it's for safety but it doesn't make sense to me.
    06-04-2017 07:32 AM
    It's cracked falling half an inch off the ground?? HALF AN INCH?!!

Honestly, I don't think an entire iPhone screen would shatter from a half inch fall. Most phones shouldn't

Any pics? Keep us updated... What I'm curious is if it develops hairline cracks from initial crack over time.
    Yeah I'm trying to picture what a park bench standing 1/2 inch off the ground looks like. Not doubting the OP, just curious.
    06-04-2017 08:06 AM
    Yeah I'm trying to picture what a park bench standing 1/2 inch off the ground looks like. Not doubting the OP, just curious.
    Yeah like I said the distance was a normal distance I just can't judge distance. Just a normal park bench it dropped and it bounced twice. I was shocked at a crack but my dad helped me fix the phone screen a little and smooth out the corner.
    06-04-2017 08:09 AM
    A park bench is probably 20 inches off the ground. I can see how someone could confuse that with a 1/2 inch. 🤣🤣
    06-04-2017 08:37 AM
    Yeah , very funny thank you. Obviously math and measurements is not one of my strong suits hahaha.
    ClintRo and jjinal like this.
    06-04-2017 08:38 AM
    Okay might have been like an inch or so I'm a bad judge of measurements but like I said it was a regular park bench that I was laying down on the phone head cement.
    Maybe a foot then not an inch
    eric002 likes this.
    06-04-2017 09:09 AM
    If you are a person that is prone to dropping their phones often you really need to think carefully on the S8. Accidents happen but IMO you increase your chances depending on the phone you choose. Me, since the iPhone 1 I've never cracked or broken a phone and hardly ever drop my phone. But I know people that somehow crack a phone every year... those users are better off with one of those Catepillar phones or Panasonic tough book type devices lol.

Check @ 1 minute mark... from Corning themselves... IMO The curved glass really toss out any strength claims on the GG.
    06-04-2017 09:20 AM
    If you are a person that is prone to dropping their phones often you really need to think carefully on the S8. Accidents happen but IMO you increase your chances depending on the phone you choose. Me, since the iPhone 1 I've never cracked or broken a phone and hardly ever drop my phone. But I know people that somehow crack a phone every year... those users are better off with one of those Catepillar phones or Panasonic tough book type devices lol.

Check @ 1 minute mark... from Corning themselves... IMO The curved glass really toss out any strength claims on the GG.
    No no I realize that. I'm anal about protecting my phone. This is the first time in years that I've actually dropped my phone at all! You're right though.
    06-04-2017 09:56 AM
    Maybe a foot then not an inch
    Hah absolutely!
    06-04-2017 10:09 AM
    So yesterday, I was at a park for a few minutes laying down on a wooden park bench like half an inch off the ground and I had my Galaxy S8 in my pocket and then fortunately it accidentally slid out of my pocket and dropped on the cement the concrete. It's cracked a little bit on the bottom left-hand side of my phone and on the top right is scratched a little bit but nothing serious. Thankfully, the screen is only cracked a little bit, and 100% usable. I don't like using my case because it's so bulky and annoying. I called Samsung and there is a repair center near me in New Jersey, and I inquired as to how much a replacement Gorilla Glass 5 screen would be and they said $250 which is almost half the money on the phone! So I'm just going to use my phone the way it is for now. I just want to share my story with everyone else.
    Stick a screen protector on it to help mitigate any further cracking. But year, $250 is probably about the going rate for an OEM repair and warranty of the replacement screen.
    06-05-2017 09:59 AM
    Stick a screen protector on it to help mitigate any further cracking. But year, $250 is probably about the going rate for an OEM repair and warranty of the replacement screen.
    Yeah apparently $250 is the going rate. I just don't find it worth it so I'm using the ohone with slightly cracked screen for now. Like I said, it works absolutely fine. Thankfully and I'm being super super careful and safe even more so than I was before honestly. Thank you to everyone again for your suggestions I appreciate it immensely
    06-05-2017 10:07 AM
    I would say a wet application screen protector would be the best to protect it from further breaking or spreading of the cracks. However who knows what a wet application would do with the cracked screen.
    06-06-2017 08:23 AM
    Yeah, that's a good point. Who knows, always good food for thought. Thank you! Other than that, my phones fine of course. I love it! For what I use I use it for, i definitely get awesome battery out of it that'll last me more than a day.
    06-06-2017 08:37 AM
    The golden rule of smartphone ownership is to TREAT YOUR PHONE LIKE YOU WOULD TREAT A FRAGILE NEWBORN BABY. I only only lightly dropped my phone twice while sitting on my bed, but since it has a case on it it did not even obtain a scratch. For me, phones and tablets are the most important thing and I treat them with utmost care. The two drops I mentioned were unavoidable because I had hand cramps.
    deadbeatles likes this.
    06-06-2017 09:07 AM
    I agree. Treat your phone like your baby. And I'm always very careful anally careful. Like I said, my phone I just accidentally slipped out of my pocket off of a park bench. And usually I do use some kind of a case on my phone is the first time I have and use the case on my phone due to the phone looking so good and sexy. I agree with you wholeheartedly though. Honestly though, I am slowly starting to get over it I'm not saying that the tracks train looks good but the phone is still working and to make it into a positive notion the phone's doing just fine. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in perfect condition but a little wear and tear is not too too bad as long as the fun working 100%. At least that's my weird sounding rational and logic behind it. Haha
    06-06-2017 09:11 AM
    Yeah, just do not keep your phone in baggy pockets. If you happen to be wearing clothes with baggy pockets, carry your phone by hand. My previous phone almost got destroyed when it fell out into the middle of the street I was crossing , all because of baggy shorts. Luckily for me, it was unscathed. Also, that same phone got throw two yards away from me when some doofus brushed up against me when i was holding the phone by my side. I hope that such accidents will not happen to my current phone.
    06-06-2017 11:52 AM
    Oh for sure. Yeah, my phone's avoid been well taken care of in mostly in cases to be honest with you. This the first phone I've ever owned in a while that has gone naked. Reason being is most of my older phones have been Google Nexus phones and not exactly good looking if you know what I mean.
    06-06-2017 11:55 AM
    You can buy a sceen with replacement kit for $60 on amazon
    06-06-2017 02:06 PM
    Gotcha , thank you.
    06-06-2017 02:31 PM
    Beware of those kits. Fixing such delicate stuff is SIGNIFICANTLY riskier than it used to be (based on my research online). For such things, you could have your phone fixed at a regular non-samsung phone shop (if such places even exist in your area)
    06-07-2017 09:55 AM
    Well, I did call up a Cell phone repair shop near me in NJ, and they said that 1. They didn't have the screen part in stock yet, and 2. that if Samsung is charging $250 for a glass screen replacement then that's worth it.

As for replacement kits, it's a nice idea, however, I'm not very handy myself and i certainly don't trust myself to create a DIY project on my phone for sure. I was actually going to try and contact that Jeff spriger DIY person from his youtube channel. He created a transparent Galaxy S8 which looks awesome. I haven't dont so yet though.
    06-07-2017 09:58 AM
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it
    06-08-2017 07:02 AM
    Also, maybe you should consider using the s8 only in 100% safe situations and get a CAT S60 for use in accident-prone environments. My father has the S60 and it has withstood several accidental drops (my baby brother once strongly pushed it off some piece of furniture and it went down with a loud "thunk", but it was unscathed).
    If you are not thinking about getting a new phone, then simply save up some money over a few months and the get it fixed. Samsung's own repair shops are ALWAYS the best choice. You really do not want a cheap Chinese knockoff screen glass, don't you.

P.S. Enjoy your S8, cracked or not.
    06-08-2017 12:24 PM
61 123