Does the S8 have quick charge 3.0 or 4.0?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the S8 doesn't support QC 4.0.

The reason why it's a big deal to me because it is based on USB Power Delivery, a requirement for USB-C devices to be certified by the USB-IF, which means that they will better work with peripherals and chargers which are USB-IF certified.

Here's the kicker. Apparently, charging the Galaxy S8 on a Pixel XL charger will trigger fast charging, so Samsung may have baked in support for Power Delivery, though it's probably not the full standard.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the S8 doesn't support QC 4.0.

The reason why it's a big deal to me because it is based on USB Power Delivery, a requirement for USB-C devices to be certified by the USB-IF, which means that they will better work with peripherals and chargers which are USB-IF certified.

Here's the kicker. Apparently, charging the Galaxy S8 on a Pixel XL charger will trigger fast charging, so Samsung may have baked in support for Power Delivery, though it's probably not the full standard.

I think "fast charge" is triggered by both 5v3a and 9v2a - the pixel xl charger does both.

GRUNT11B

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Its adaptive fast charging. but when I tried to charge my device with a quick charge 2.0 charger in my truck it wouldn't fast charge. It fast charges with my 3.0 charger though..

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
No phone has QC 4.0 yet. I am hoping for a software update to enable it. Not that it really matters I have so many other chargers I doubt I would by a QC 4.0 charger and rarely need to bump charge like that.

I heard that the first phone to support Quick Charge 4.0+ is the Nubia Z17 (being launched in china) Apparently a quick charge 3.0 charger is shipping with it, so you will need to purchase one separately. 😃

Hopefully a software update is all we need to make it charge nice and quickly. But I think the current charging speed is good enough.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the V10 which somehow charged in 55 with the same size battery with QC 2.0, I'm fine with the speed at which the S8 charges. It has much better battery life so I usually only charge it overnight on a wireless fast charger.