How to stop screen turning on when starting to charge

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely.
What is up with these people: "why are you annoyed by this" "ridiculous screen saver time"

I'm on Android because it always gave me the impression you can do anything.

Well let me be the first to tell you you cannot do just anything, especially on un-rooted phones.

JW_SC

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
Same boat; 4am, POW!!! the bat signal goes off in the (very dark) room to gleefully tell me my phone is charged...
Verizon S9+
Wireless charging so I cant lay it face down.
I can't find the notification settings anywhere for this. :(

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So after your phone is charged and the screen comes on, it doesn't go off after a few seconds? No matter how long I set my screen time out for my screen doesn't stay on long after a full charge.

kaasweckal

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.

Hi,
I had the same issue. I have a dynamo on my touring bike which charges my phone at odd times. To optimize energy comsumption, I want to prevent the screen to turn on each time charging start.
I solved it with a Tasker script. Just google Tasker for android.
I made up a profile, that comes active when charging starts. The profile then triggers a taskk, which simply puts the phone back to locked state. It works perfectly. I linked the same task as a exit task too, so that screen also stays off, when charging stops.
Cheers

fuqHALO

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.

Wow, lots of unhelpful and rude people here.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

The full screen notification that pops up every time you set it on the wireless charger? It always screws up whatever app was open or will freeze the screen. It doesn't go away right away either. Super annoying. Well..i found a fix on a much more helpful forum... reddit!

Here's what I did and it worked!
"If you go to apps and choose "show system" from the three dot menu, you will find inductive charging. Just disable that app and the notifications will stop. it keeps wirelessly charging too!"

kneeL_official

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This is so infuriating that there is no setting for this. What were they thinking? SO annnoying!

Wow, lots of unhelpful and rude people here.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

The full screen notification that pops up every time you set it on the wireless charger? It always screws up whatever app was open or will freeze the screen. It doesn't go away right away either. Super annoying. Well..i found a fix on a much more helpful forum... reddit!

Here's what I did and it worked!
"If you go to apps and choose "show system" from the three dot menu, you will find inductive charging. Just disable that app and the notifications will stop. it keeps wirelessly charging too!"

The above-mentioned setting doesn't exist in Samsung Galaxy S8+ and cannot find anything similar :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

beermattuk

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Yeah all the replies saying "why does it bother you" etc aren't helping. Thing is phones should have PREFERENCES to suit each individual depending on how they like to use it. If you're a great fan of your screen pointlessly coming on while charging then that's great for you, but not everyone is. There should be an option to disable it.

For me I think it's a ridiculous feature, because when I'm plugging my phone in I want to charge it, so why would it automatically do something that drains the battery? kaasweckal has given one example, but there are other times when your charging is intermittent, for example a car ignition turning on and off, solar charges, etc; or just if you're in a rush! Why would it do something that drains the battery, when you're trying to charge it?? Stupid! In my case, the USB C has broken, so the charger falls out very easily, and you keep having to push it back in. If you're in a bit of a rush, the screen flashing on every time you plug it back in doesn't help with giving your battery a quick boost! And there is always the screen coming on in the dark issue. If you're out sailing or camping or something, it can take your night vision 10 minutes to recover from seeing a bright light, yes I know you can look away etc but you don't always think, especially after a long day.

It's just a pointless feature we'd be better off without. And if some people like it then fair enough but google/android please put something in the preferences to disable it.

In the meantime, kaasweckal's tasker idea is probably the closest thing we have. I use a program called "automate", i can probably write a flow in there. That'll help with the battery drain problem, but not with the blinding light in the dark issue.

Sir Trampsuli

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site

I cant charge battery because screen turn on and when its on it doesnt allow to charge phone

XGC75

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Another person deeply annoyed by this. I like to press the power button on my way to placing the phone on a wireless charger. It is my intent for the screen to be off. Obviously. I pressed the power button. Yet when the phone goes back on the charger, the screen turns on. It's annoying enough that the screen stays on for 10 minutes (my timeout), but when I'm playing full-screen captive games, the screen turns on indefinitely and won't even charge!

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Hmm I can understand the annoyances about this. But look at it like this, when you choose 10 minutes screen time-out there is some downside to it also, this particular complaint for example.
In settings/advanced functions the top one is smart stay, while it isn't flawless it usually keeps my screen on when I'm looking at it.
You might give it a try and see if your regular timeout can be reduced.
I have 30 secs for example.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
My issue with the screen coming on is when it is fully charged and the screen turns on when I'm driving early in the morning and the phone is in the charger in front of me. It blinds me because of its brightness. I don't need it to turn on because I can easily see the led change

I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually, it will stay on for that long.

Its annoying in several situations, such as when dark in bed, and place it on the wireless charging pad on the bedside table, I then have to manually turn it off, otherwise the ceiling is lit up for 10min. Likewise, in the car it stays on , therefore taking longer to charge than it should.

RogerThat99

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Mine comes on when I plug it in. I hit the power button to turn it off. I don't like that, but I can live with it. What I hate is that the screen comes back on when fully charged. It lights up the whole room.

I have had an S3, S6, and S7, and none of them did this. Just the S8.

Does it have to do with the "Always On" app?

Last edited by a moderator:

tkmilbaugh

Dec 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same issue. I have a dynamo on my touring bike which charges my phone at odd times. To optimize energy comsumption, I want to prevent the screen to turn on each time charging start.
I solved it with a Tasker script. Just google Tasker for android.
I made up a profile, that comes active when charging starts. The profile then triggers a taskk, which simply puts the phone back to locked state. It works perfectly. I linked the same task as a exit task too, so that screen also stays off, when charging stops.
Cheers

Could you share more details about your Tasker script? I have Tasker, but have not found it very intuitive to create a script such as you have described.

Adcolor

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Here is what I did to minimize the glaring screen, as well, the CHARGED display, and the CHARGING cycle.

A couple of these came from this thread, thanks to the contributors.

Reference info: note8, android 8.0.

Turn off phone charged notification: system settings>notifications>advanced (will show as advanced notification settings once selected)>(3 dot menu) show system apps> systemui>battery full>importance low (no sound or lights).

Set blue light filter to on. You can set the time window if you like.

Set the time window for AOD for your sleep window so it stays off.

Set your AOD background/wall paper to black. This will still flicker on when charging begins.

Set the screen lock when inactive timer to 30 seconds. Though I didn't try another setting, I was also optimizing battery life, I found that the "charging" annunciator (AOD pop up screen) only stayed on about 3 seconds. I suspect that is about 10% of the inactive timer setting.

One other thing, I'm still getting this set up, go through your reminders and change the settings. My calendar reminder is set to something like 10 hours. The 'bling' went off as my wife was nodding off. I was "reminded" to work on that.

Ok, not concerned with the why, just with the best solution for what we have to work with. Maybe android 9 will fix this.

Daniel Carmichael

Feb 25, 2019
Visit site
Good day everyone. Solution is simply to install Macrodroid app on your phone and set a macro that will keep the screen off when charging at night.

Works great with my S7 Edge

James Monica

Apr 10, 2019
Visit site
I know this is an old post. I was searching for the answer to the same questions as the OP. Obviously I came to the wrong place. the majority of the replies are comments about how the person can't understand why this would be annoying to the OP, or why doesn't he just do this or that. Its none of your business why he has his phone settings the way he does or why it annoys him that the screen turns on when he starts to charge. It really annoys me too and not that I feel I owe an explanation as to why its an annoyance but I will humor you. I use a cheap Qi charger and the phone has to be placed exactly in a certain spot for it charge. If I have to touch the phone to press the power button once it starts charging, it usually gets moved off that sweet spot and so I will have to adjust it, it then starts charging again and then I have to hit the power button again and start the cycle over again. It defeats the main purpose of a Qi charger. And yes so it's F'ing annoying.

vfdev

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
+1 same problem with Qi charger and +1 to stop discussing "why". Would be great having a real advice. Thanks in advance

I know this is an old post. I was searching for the answer to the same questions as the OP. Obviously I came to the wrong place. the majority of the replies are comments about how the person can't understand why this would be annoying to the OP, or why doesn't he just do this or that. Its none of your business why he has his phone settings the way he does or why it annoys him that the screen turns on when he starts to charge. It really annoys me too and not that I feel I owe an explanation as to why its an annoyance but I will humor you. I use a cheap Qi charger and the phone has to be placed exactly in a certain spot for it charge. If I have to touch the phone to press the power button once it starts charging, it usually gets moved off that sweet spot and so I will have to adjust it, it then starts charging again and then I have to hit the power button again and start the cycle over again. It defeats the main purpose of a Qi charger. And yes so it's F'ing annoying.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site

Open Settings, select Sounds and Vibrations, toggle off Charging Sounds. Good luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo