Adguard makes this phone as smooth as an iPhone 7!

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to share my discovery of a wonderful app called adguard. It's $10 a year and worth every penny in my opinion. My phone would perform great before installing the app but there were times where frames dropped while using chrome and certain apps and the occasional stutter here and there. After installing and enabling adguard (apk system wide version found on their website, not the Google play store version that only blocks ads on the stock browser). My phone flies now and is as smooth as butter. They say that the side effect is battery drain, however I tested that and my battery drained 13% over and 8 hour period of non use versus 11% prior to installing the app. That translates to 6% additional battery drain over a 24 hour period minus any battery drain saved from ads not loading while browsing, which is a pretty sweet trade off IMHO.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't do subscriptions except for one which is digitally imported radio. Any app other than that needs to be a one time fee and that's it or else they do not get my business

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Not to derail this thread from the OPs subject, but with one-time fee apps, you run the risk of the app getting abandoned after a few years. I haven't heard of that happening with subscription based apps. $10 per year is not much considering the benefit that the OP receives (assuming that the OP isn't paid by the app maker).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought the lifetime license for all my phones and computers. I got my licenses during Christmas when they had the half price sale. No subscriptions. Ever.

Adguard is the best thing to ever happen to cellphones!

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I just tried out adhell since it's free and it's working great so far. I have to compare the battery drain between adhell and adguard but other than that, they both work as advertise.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yup. I use the firewall to block any app I want to throttle. The data usage gets confused in the device, but I can check at network level anyway. I like the app, the devs are super helpful and it works like a charm. I don't begrudge them a yearly few bucks to keep my phone safe and efficient.
I get better battery life as all apps are blocked and can't connect to the internet.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use PIA as a VPN too. It blocks a lot of ads, but not all of them.

I have yet to find a solution that blocks all ads (like a rooted ad blocker does.)

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Block This! at block-this.com is another free, good VPN ad blocker.

Do any of the other ad blockers talked about here block ads in Terrarium TV?

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
My Note 4 for what it's worth is flying pretty damn good for its age.

I'm pretty sure the S8 is flying high without the use of this app.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
am I missing something? adguard says it only blocks ads in the Samsung internet browser...so I really don't see the benefit to a subscription to do something that the browser does already with a free add-on.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
As Brat said, the play store doesn't have the good one as it would block all google revenue earning ads and that would be a conflict of interest.
The VPN one is brilliant, the only things it can't block is those five second videos on YouTube. It's on all my devices. It's the only app I sideload.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
am I missing something? adguard says it only blocks ads in the Samsung internet browser...so I really don't see the benefit to a subscription to do something that the browser does already with a free add-on.

Google doesn't allow many of the good adblockers in the play store such as Adguard Pro and Adaway. Because of this, you have to go to their websites and download the app and install it.

Adguard Pro removes ads in any app and browser that you use. There are some ads that it can not remove but that all depends on how the sites serve up those ads. Some sites have gotten smart and learned they can defeat any adblocker just like Facebook.

Adaway is another great ad blocker but that requires a rooted phone to use. I use that on my Note 5 today and it's free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez