I've had it after only a month! Moving on to Pixel 2 or LG V30 when they come out

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I now hate this fingerprint sensor and that emotion is bleeding into the whole phone. It is the doorway to the phone that you use all the time to get into the phone and actually use it. It's critical. It's Samsung! The major player! Shocking.

It's totally hit and miss for me. It's frustrating. It takes me multiple taps almost all the time. It's slow. It's ruining my experience with this phone.

I did post previously ask if others had similar experiences. I got mixed responses. I know some of you say it works great. For me, it doesn't. It's not my fingers, my Nexus 6P and Mate 9 were completely normal, even faster. I have tried the trick of recording my index finger twice on one hand.

I am really annoyed by this having spent so much on this phone. I am annoyed that it's taking away from the otherwise amazing experience with this phone - once I get it unlocked.

No, I don't want to switch to PIN - although I might have to - and it requires multiple interactions to even enter it. I wear glasses so iris is even slower and fails almost everytime. Face unlock is also finicky and not nearly as secure.

Just sucks. V30 looks interesting but I think I am going to go back to Pixel. Grrr - what a waste of money! The one thing I will REALLY MISS is wireless charging. It's wonderful. Maybe the Pixel will have it. If not, I'd rather plug in then deal with this frustrating FPS.

This is just my experience. I am jealous of those who don't have it.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Best success for me is to use index finger of left hand while holding phone in right hand. Never misses and fast.

gknicks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It is dumb that the fingerprint scanner is on the back I do use it often it works really well and everything I use it for opens and I rarely need passwords

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the placement either. Mine is sort of hit or miss but most of the time it works. I just don't like having to physically pick up my phone to unlock it if it's on a table or something. I am coming from an iPhone with the FPS on the front spoiled me, but the back placement doesn't bother me on the Pixel. The off center weirdness bothers me. It is not, however, something that I think will make me dislike the phone. The wife and I have finally gotten past the limitations of media sharing on Android (more specifically living without iMessage) and have gone all in on WhatsApp so we are both mostly enjoying our S8's, minus being on Sprint.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't like the placement either. Mine is sort of hit or miss but most of the time it works. I just don't like having to physically pick up my phone to unlock it if it's on a table or something. I am coming from an iPhone with the FPS on the front spoiled me, but the back placement doesn't bother me on the Pixel. The off center weirdness bothers me. It is not, however, something that I think will make me dislike the phone. The wife and I have finally gotten past the limitations of media sharing on Android (more specifically living without iMessage) and have gone all in on WhatsApp so we are both mostly enjoying our S8's, minus being on Sprint.
I feel you on Sprint!! They are the worst!

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I like you can't stand it or get used to it. It rarely works and I am someone who sits on a desk 8 hours a day so my phone is on the desk and don't want to keep lifting it to touch the fingerprint sensor so here is what I did as no other phone has the features I want right now, great camera and wireless charging and small size ( I have the S8)

1) Enable the PIN lock

2) Register your fingerprint and IRIS scanner even though we won't use them much but just for the heck of having it all complete

3) Set the phone to lock after 30 mins rather than instantly, that way, you only need to enter the PIN once in 30 mins of unattended access which is not that bad

4) Enable secure location so it doesn't lock the phone in your car or while at home or work

This way, when I want to access my phone, it's not locked and goes straight to the home screen, yes there is an option for that I forgot where it is but it allows you to bypass the lock screen to have to swipe up even and go straight to your homescreen provided the phone is not locked (as in past 30 mins of not using it).

Now, when you do want to lock your phone instantly, simply press the power button once and it's locked and now requires a PIN or fingerprint or your eye.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Didn't you know about the FPS before you got the phone?

That it barely works? No. I heard all about the poor placement which I figured I would get used to. Nothing about how crappy it is. I wouldn't have bought it if people were complaining more about this.

Last edited:

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
That it barely works? No. I heard all about the poor placement which I figured I would get used to. Nothing about how crappy it is. I wouldn't have bought it of people were complaining more about this.

Yeah I turned mine off for this reason and ended up doing old school pin for a while. Placement I could get used to but I've used a lot of phones and for some reason this sensor just won't work for me.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
To those whose fps won't work for them, have you tried registering one finger in different positions while registering? That way you should never have a problem. It works for me. I've been doing that since fps came out on Samsung's first phone with a fps.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I turned mine off for this reason and ended up doing old school pin for a while. Placement I could get used to but I've used a lot of phones and for some reason this sensor just won't work for me.
speaking of doesn't work. My banking app supports logging in with the finger print scanner, no matter how many times I tried it wouldn't recognize my finger so I dropped the whole idea that this phone even has a fingerprint scanner.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
To those whose fps won't work for them, have you tried registering one finger in different positions while registering? That way you should never have a problem. It works for me. I've been doing that since fps came out on Samsung's first phone with a fps.

Yup I have done this. And registered the same finger for more than one spot. I've used other Samsung phones and other phones and haven't had issues like this one. Doesn't like my finger.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes. Like I said, I tried that.

I was thinking of contacting Samsung but it sounds like a replacement won't help.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
4) Enable secure location so it doesn't lock the phone in your car or while at home or work

You just reminded me of "on body" smart lock. I used it a long time ago and it worked so I'm going to try that to alleviate some of the inconvenience.

Now, when you do want to lock your phone instantly, simply press the power button once and it's locked and now requires a PIN or fingerprint or your eye.

Thanks for this tip!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Get a smart watch, pair it with the phone and enable smart unlock. DONE. You don't need to use FP unless you are away from your watch.

Have had this setup for over a year now. LOVE IT.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Get a smart watch, pair it with the phone and enable smart unlock. DONE. You don't need to use FP unless you are away from your watch.

I have several smart watches. There is a problem with this. The phone remains unlocked while in contact with the watch, right? That can leave the phone unlocked until it gets as much as 30 feet away from your wrist. In my view, this is a substantial blow to security if someone gets their hands on your phone when you are nearby.

Grabs it off your restaurant table.... your office desk when you are nearby...all they have to do is turn it on before they get too far away... or keep it on... to access lots of things on your phone.

Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't know, am I missing something?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I have several smart watches. There is a problem with this. The phone remains unlocked while in contact with the watch, right? That can leave the phone unlocked until it gets as much as 30 feet away from your wrist. In my view, this is a substantial blow to security if someone gets their hands on your phone when you are nearby.

Grabs it off your restaurant table.... your office desk when you are nearby...all they have to do is turn it on before they get too far away... or keep it on... to access lots of things on your phone.

Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't know, am I missing something?
You are right. That's possible but it really depends on how paranoid you want to get. For me, I feel ok with this setup. It's not like I have classified information on my phone. I love how convenient it is.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That it barely works? No. I heard all about the poor placement which I figured I would get used to. Nothing about how crappy it is. I wouldn't have bought it if people were complaining more about this.

Interesting - I find the FPS to perform better than on my S7e. Often, I don't even have my whole finger on it and it unlocks immediately. In any case, I've never had an issue where it didn't read my fingerprint unless my finger was not on the FPS itself. I actually thought that it was nice to have such a fast and responsive FPS given that it's on the back.

Has it occurred to you that people weren't complaining more about it because people aren't experiencing what you are experiencing?

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site

Yeah, move on to something else...you sound miserable.