What is this scratch?

kbevan87

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
How can you tell if a scratch is an actual scratch on the screen or just the oleophobic coating?

I noticed a scratch on my S8 today, after having it just under 3 weeks. I have a case but no screen protector as i have a phone pocket in my handbag and it's never loose in my pocket or in the bag itself. Never had a problem with this with my S6 edge.

Can't feel the scratch on the screen and if i really rub on it with a soft cloth it fades to next to nothing (still see it faintly) but it does come back and i feel it's really noticeable.

I have no idea what i've done to cause this? If i put a screen protector on it now will it make it less noticeable? In the picture you can see that it starts as a little web like scratch on the 0 and moves downwards.

Attachments

• IMG-20170829-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170829-WA0000.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Scratch on screen or coating?

A screen protector could make it less noticeable. I would put one on regardless. If you see it expanding in any way get it fixed asap. I always have mine in my purse but that kinda looks like a stress fracture of sorts. Was something heavy placed on top or was it leaned on in the bag making it press onto something?

kbevan87

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Re: Scratch on screen or coating?

A screen protector could make it less noticeable. I would put one on regardless. If you see it expanding in any way get it fixed asap. I always have mine in my purse but that kinda looks like a stress fracture of sorts. Was something heavy placed on top or was it leaned on in the bag making it press onto something?

I've been really careful with it and I really can't recall anything leaning on the screen to cause a fracture like this.

You really can't feel anything on the screen itself or see it when the screen backlight is on (just when the screen is off) but I'm definitely going to get a protector on it asap.

I've buffed it a little with a cloth now and you can see from the pictures that it all but disappears! It does come back but it's so strange!

Attachments

• 20170829_230648.jpg
    20170829_230648.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170829_230928.jpg
    20170829_230928.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same thing. I believe it's just a scratch on the coating. when I buff it with a cloth it goes away but when oil from my fingers gets on it, it reappears. I would think a scratch in the screen wouldn't do that. I also have been very careful with mine and never dropped it or anything.

kbevan87

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
In all honesty im so paranoid about scratches I always put the phone with the screen facing the outside so the contents can't get to it. It's a structured leather bag so nothing can get to it that way.

Last edited:

kbevan87

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I have the same thing. I believe it's just a scratch on the coating. when I buff it with a cloth it goes away but when oil from my fingers gets on it, it reappears. I would think a scratch in the screen wouldn't do that. I also have been very careful with mine and never dropped it or anything.

I'm leaning towards the coating. I took it into the network store today and the lady seemed completely baffled. She could see it disappearing and referred me to Samsung. I'm going to take it to all service centre this weekend - hopefully they can say for sure what's caused it.

anonymoustycoon

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the coating. I took it into the network store today and the lady seemed completely baffled. She could see it disappearing and referred me to Samsung. I'm going to take it to all service centre this weekend - hopefully they can say for sure what's caused it.

I have the exact same problem on my S8. Did you ever find out what the issue was or how to deal with it? Thanks!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How can you tell if a scratch is an actual scratch on the screen or just the oleophobic coating?

I noticed a scratch on my S8 today, after having it just under 3 weeks. I have a case but no screen protector as i have a phone pocket in my handbag and it's never loose in my pocket or in the bag itself. Never had a problem with this with my S6 edge.

Can't feel the scratch on the screen and if i really rub on it with a soft cloth it fades to next to nothing (still see it faintly) but it does come back and i feel it's really noticeable.

I have no idea what i've done to cause this? If i put a screen protector on it now will it make it less noticeable? In the picture you can see that it starts as a little web like scratch on the 0 and moves downwards.

It's a scratch. I made a mega thread regarding how easily the S8 scratches... Keep in mind: the S8 uses Gorilla Glass 5 which many have been complaining that it's MUCH easier to scratch than Gorilla Glass 3.. the Galaxy S5 and Note 3 was MUCH more scratch resistant.. it's a trade off for better shatter-resistance.. sadly that's how it is now.. I highly recommend using a screen protector.. overtime, the build up of micro scratches will end up looking pretty ugly especially under bright light or outdoors... Doesn't matter how well you take care of it, it will scratch period.

YES putting on a screen protector will hide all small scratches. Big scratches will still be seen however. Seems like tempered glass protectors will not work on the S8 unless you get an expensive brand like White Dome which glues to the edges.. a wet install screen protector is really your best bet.. I recommend RinoGear RinoSkin.. it feels super smooth, has no orange peel effect, and self-heals. Important thing is make sure the screen protector says "case friendly" otherwise you will not be able to use a case with it.. it'll come right off.

Here you go:

[https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/S8-Scratching-easily/td-p/93816

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/6bf4qg/lots_of_posts_about_scratched_s8_screens_what_to/

My mega thread:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...-think-you-dont-need-screen-protector-s8.html

I told everyone and nobody believed me.. I also told everyone about the screen burn-in and also people said I'm lying.. I'm not! Use a screen protector and be careful not to use max brightness on a static screen for too long otherwise it'll burn in...

Last edited: