Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am in the USA and we cannot download the Samsung Members app here - we have Samsung+ and it does not allow you to do anything with the beta once you have enrolled. I tried the Smart Switch option (had to install the software on my PC) and it basically did a factory reset on my phone, but it reinstalled the beta Oreo software. So I am right back where I started.

I have chatted with an "expert" in the Samsung+ app, and he gave me a link to an FAQ on some Samsung website on this topic, which recommended the Samsung Member app option. UGH.

I am really f-ing hating Samsung right now.

Gotta go back to setting up my phone.

Just wanted to say sorry you're having so many issues with this beta. What has happened since you reset? Have you been able to deregister through the Members app?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So this appears to be an issue more with Tmobile users, but others may be getting it as well. After I did the Smart-Switch software reset with my PC I was still enrolled in beta. Chatting with a customer service rep on the Samsung+ app, he told me to look in my app drawer for Samsung Members and it was now there. In Samsung Members app was the option to deregister and I tapped on it. You still have Oreo installed, and a box pops up saying the OS will be updated to the most recent stable version....at some point. Something to that effect.

I then made the mistake of doing a factory reset, which just reinstalled Oreo beta. After you deregister in the Samsung Members app you need to use the Smart Switch software and connect the phone to your PC via USB cable. Smart Switch on the PC then shows you will be installing the most recent non-beta OS which is of course Android 7.0.

My phone is now downloading all my apps (for the third time in 18 hours) and I will soon go through the process of setting up/logging back into my accounts.

Summary observations:
- Samsung+ rep was actually helpful - never even knew the app or assistance service existed
- Thanks to the poster here who first posted the idea of using Smart Switch
- It is MUCH easier to set up a phone from a factory reset if you a) back up everything to Samsung Cloud and b) use a launcher like Nova, where you can back up and restore all your home screen settings/widgets/app locations/wallpapers/icons etc. etc. You still have to log back into everything, but at least this gets you 75% of the way there.
- The unintuitive way Samsung has handled the deregister process sucks big hairy coconuts. There is no reason whatsoever I should have had to go through the hoops I did to deregister and roll back to stable software. Garbage.

Ok gotta go, having a tatoo done that says "Never Install Beta OS Again - Nevah Evah"

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree that Samsung's processes are less than intuitive. I do like Smart Switch though. I had a couple of backups from before I hard reset the phone and Smart Switch restored about 90% of my stuff. All my apps and texts were present and accounted for and I just had to rejoin my WiFi network and setup my email and a few other apps again. Not too bad really. I did another complete backup once I had the phone up and running again just to be on the safe side.

Glad you finally got your stuff sorted out.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
@CincGuy... Glad you were able to roll back. @badcat... I like smart switch as well. My only problem is with syncing Outlook. When I click that box it tells me I don't have Outlook installed. Still working working on resolving that issue.
Used it when I got my S8 and it installed the info from my backed up S7 edge fine.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Updated to Beta 2 today and AOD clock no longer moves on screen, tried various things, cache partition, different clock, off/on but it just stays in the same place, potential for screen burn?

Hope they fix that since I really like having my AOD on during the day. Have it turned off at night.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Anybody in this thread in Europe and running the second beta? Just wondering how it's going.

Curious as well. Hoping to get a bit better battery life. Android OS and System showing at top of battery usage even after factory reset. That is my main issue right now. The only other aggravation is with keyboard. I use SwiftKey which works fine. However, if I accidently hit the emoji button within the text itself (Samsung Messages) rather than swiftkey emoji, I get multiple vibrations with error messages that Samsung keyboard has stopped. Even though Samsung keyboard is not even default. I then have to get into apps>default apps and reselect SwiftKey. Everything else is smooth.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I read it on one of the notices google gives you from tech sites, like the notice that's there now from this "site" saying pixel are getting 8.1 soon.

Been a beta tester for apps (Android and Microsoft) and new OS (Microsoft Windows) and have never seen an official version released after only one beta release.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
BETA 2 is officially out.
8baf068bdb301b8829b1c651710f339f.jpg

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Just received the notification to download too but my changelog is different. I'm on the unlocked S8+
ef3cfda28fdfa4a71b626500de2b52ad.jpg