Verizon Galaxy S8 Windows Phone Convert

Williaml99

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I have migrated from 980XL to S8+. I also have used a disabler to help in making outlook front and center. The outlook part would be totally successful in my estimation if I could snooze reminders. Still hoping to find solution on that one.

Challenges ahead are.

1. Snooze on Outlook reminders.

2. No support of SD Card on OneDrive.

3. No support for SD Card on Groove Music. Not a subscriber, want to play my collection from local and OneDrive.

4. No Android Auto support for groove music.

That being said I am thrilled to have this phone. A gigantic step up. Thank God.

I very much appreciate having Google Maps and chrome. Chrome was my preferred browser on windows.

Thanks

Bill

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. As stated before, there are a lot of WP refugees on this site. I still dabble and I know others do as well.
Don't use an SD card, so can't make any relevant suggestions.
Have you tried Microsoft Launcher yet? Really enjoy it. I have Cortana installed but usually not as my default assistant. I love getting texts/notifications, etc on my laptop.

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Use a third party file manager that can link to one drive. I use solid Explorer. I have my one drive and dropbox accounts both linked up. Works like a charm. I've also heard good things about Asus file manager.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: snoozing Outlook notifications...
I'm in the Samsung Oreo Beta program. One of the nice things this added is the ability to snooze any notification.
Pull down notification shade...lightly swipe notification to the right just a bit and it opens a tab that allows you to set a snooze time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171114-213345.jpg
    Screenshot_20171114-213345.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20171114-213433.jpg
    Screenshot_20171114-213433.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 31

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have migrated from 980XL to S8+. I also have used a disabler to help in making outlook front and center. The outlook part would be totally successful in my estimation if I could snooze reminders. Still hoping to find solution on that one.

I am not sure why you had to do that. I never configured the default email app, and you can make Outlook the default app without using a disabler.

Just go into Settings->Apps->Default apps->Set as default-> Scroll until you find Outlook and set it as default for email. You can also disable Samsung's default email app without a disabler.

Because I was an Android user before I was a Windows Phone user, I still had my Google account. Which is what I use for the Play Store.

Challenges ahead are.

1. Snooze on Outlook reminders.

I don't snooze my reminders, so I guess that is why I didn't miss the snooze function on Windows Phone.

2. No support of SD Card on OneDrive.

I use ES File Explorer Pro. It supports SD Card as well as cloud storage, including OneDrive and Google Drive. It costs around $4.99, I think. It will also allow you to set up more than one Google Drive account. I haven't tried multiple OneDrive accounts.

3. No support for SD Card on Groove Music. Not a subscriber, want to play my collection from local and OneDrive.

I have my music on both my phone and OneDrive. I use Samsung Music. I'm not a fan of Play Music.

4. No Android Auto support for groove music.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be a little more specific?

That being said I am thrilled to have this phone. A gigantic step up. Thank God.

I very much appreciate having Google Maps and chrome. Chrome was my preferred browser on windows.

Thanks

Bill

Yes the S8/S8+ is a great phone. I am a former Lumia Icon owner. I've been away from Windows Mobile for a few years though. I did a year and a half stint with an iPhone and finally came back into the Samsung fold (I had a Samsung Note II before I had a Windows Phone).

Williaml99

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
"Just go into Settings->Apps->Default apps->Set as default-> " Did that, it takes a little more to get it anywhere close to default and behave as it did when it really was default on Windows Phone.

"I use ES File Explorer Pro. It supports SD Card" I will check this out. I would like to find an app that would act as an agent and redirect all or selected apps to use SD Card. Probably wont happen.

I will look at Samsung music. Groove synced across all my devices with onedrive. Change a song a playlist and it was changed for all. On all your devices you could stream your personal files from onedrive with no subscription to their music service or sync them local to local storage including SD on mobile. groove music for android does not support SD card. MS deserves all the credit for this and probably could care less. :)

No Android Auto support for groove music. > When you fire up Android Auto it will only display the music apps that support Android Auto. MS gets the credit again. I am working diligently to find player that supports one drive, windows play lists and android auto.

Thanks
Bill

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
"Just go into Settings->Apps->Default apps->Set as default-> " Did that, it takes a little more to get it anywhere close to default and behave as it did when it really was default on Windows Phone.

"I use ES File Explorer Pro. It supports SD Card" I will check this out. I would like to find an app that would act as an agent and redirect all or selected apps to use SD Card. Probably wont happen.

I will look at Samsung music. Groove synced across all my devices with onedrive. Change a song a playlist and it was changed for all. On all your devices you could stream your personal files from onedrive with no subscription to their music service or sync them local to local storage including SD on mobile. groove music for android does not support SD card. MS deserves all the credit for this and probably could care less. :)

No Android Auto support for groove music. > When you fire up Android Auto it will only display the music apps that support Android Auto. MS gets the credit again. I am working diligently to find player that supports one drive, windows play lists and android auto.

Thanks
Bill

You're welcome. By the way, I checked out Android Auto and noticed it doesn't support Samsung Music either. It does support Play Music, which is expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87