Pixel Crap. Samsung Quality?

xJake4

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey, so recently my Pixel started acting up software wise. My headphone jack doesn't work, I can't call people, Power Button doesn't work sometimes, bootload, apps crashing and etc. I tried every possible solution for the past 4 days to solve it. Problem still persist. Which eventually made me decide to want to go to iPhone, but I'm use to Android's customization.

Question here is, how is Samsung's quality where it can last at least 2-3 years both hardware and software wise

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Software is quite a bit worse, especially following any updates. iPhones are about the same. With the headphone jack and power button issue, those sound like they're likely caused by either water damage or shock trauma. Was the device exposed to chemicals, liquids or a few hard drops?

xJake4

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Software is quite a bit worse, especially following any updates. iPhones are about the same. With the headphone jack and power button issue, those sound like they're likely caused by either water damage or shock trauma. Was the device exposed to chemicals, liquids or a few hard drops?

Not really, it was fine up into this week. When I did factory reset, the headphone jack did work briefly, as well as the phone. But after 10 minutes, the issues I listed above persisted once again. I read up on it, seems to be a software issue affecting some pixel users

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My mom has had her Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for over two years, and it has barely any physical/software-related wear and tear. It has been a great device for her!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung had been doing better with security updates but kind of face planted on the Sept and Oct patches. Hopefully they will fix their issues and start issuing patches in a more timely manner.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung had been doing better with security updates but kind of face planted on the Sept and Oct patches. Hopefully they will fix their issues and start issuing patches in a more timely manner.

Timely updates would be great! Another feather in Samsung's hat if they pull that off. :)

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It's slowly rolling the update out to most variants but mostly the delay is due to the imminent Oreo update for the S8 series sometime by end of December. This is a practice Samsung has followed in the past where it'll slow down the updates right before releasing a major one. Not ideal but that's what they've done in the past. Right after the release, they do go back to their monthly security releases.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's slowly rolling the update out to most variants but mostly the delay is due to the imminent Oreo update for the S8 series sometime by end of December. This is a practice Samsung has followed in the past where it'll slow down the updates right before releasing a major one. Not ideal but that's what they've done in the past. Right after the release, they do go back to their monthly security releases.

I hope you are right. I was happy with the schedule up until September. It didn't help that the Blueborne patch was in the Sept update. This is my first Samsung phone so I'm unfamiliar with their update schedule.

Before this I had a Motorola phone so no worries, your never going to see a patch! :)

I did like the manner in which my 5X was patched and updated. You get used to that.

wxboss

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I hope you are right. I was happy with the schedule up until September. It didn't help that the Blueborne patch was in the Sept update. This is my first Samsung phone so I'm unfamiliar with their update schedule.

Before this I had a Motorola phone so no worries, your never going to see a patch! :)

I did like the manner in which my 5X was patched and updated. You get used to that.

I had a 5X and I agree that the fast updates were nice. However, I'm not the kind of person who needs the latest OS updates immediately - I do want important security updates in a timely manner though.

Right now, I would really like a patch for the Krack vulnerability so I don't have to use a VPN when on WiFi all the time.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Well my backup unlocked Moto Z Play is on 7.1.1 and the October patch. Moto may be bad at updating it's Moto G/E series but it's definitely updating it's first gen Z series.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well my backup unlocked Moto Z Play is on 7.1.1 and the October patch. Moto may be bad at updating it's Moto G/E series but it's definitely updating it's first gen Z series.
Yeah I have a G5 Plus that's still on the August patch. That's what I was referring to.
BTW, I was just kidding.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a 5X and I agree that the fast updates were nice. However, I'm not the kind of person who needs the latest OS updates immediately - I do want important security updates in a timely manner though.

Right now, I would really like a patch for the Krack vulnerability so I don't have to use a VPN when on WiFi all the time.
I'm not overly concerned with OS updates (even though I'm in the Samsung Oreo beta) but value security patches too. Samsung's inability (for whatever reason) to address two major vunerabilites is a head scratcher.

Last edited:

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have a G5 Plus that's still on the August patch. That's what I was referring to.
BTW, was just kidding.
No worries. But it's sad that Moto hasn't prioritized updating one of it's most sold devices with monthly security updates. I believe right now they are doing it quarterly.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Question here is, how is Samsung's quality where it can last at least 2-3 years both hardware and software wise
My Note 3s (I have 2) are now over 4 years old, and the hardware is still fine. Software? 5.0.1 and a couple of security updates were the last thing for the Note 3, and that was a couple of years ago. But the phones have held up so well that I'm not even seriously considering an upgrade until the spring CES, and maybe I'll wait until the Note 9 has been out a while (which happens in September-October). I can't use some of the newer apps, but the phones are still working like flagships. (Now watch both of them fail.)