Searching for mobile network notifications

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Ever since the "pie" update, my s8+ will notify me to search for a mobile network whenever I don't have a signal. Massively annoying. I can't turn it off. Nothing like a notification going off every 5 seconds and interrupting typing, or a video.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this a notification in your status bar, or a toast notification that pops up in the middle of the screen?

sean semke

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
This is a pop up from the bottom. It's to the point where I'm considering switching phones.

If I'm in an area where my mobile signal is in and out, and I'm guessing my phone is attempting to reconnect, that pop up is anywhere from every few seconds to every minute. Depending on the attempts by my phone.

I've tried selecting the manual option, but that hasn't fixed it. And this is definitely post update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You've probably already looked, but what options do you have in the Settings>Mobile Networks menu? If there's an Advanced section, see if there's something there about automatically connecting.
Also, do you know if it's prompting you to search for an available wi-fi network or cell network?

sean semke

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
It's definitely for the mobile network. The only choices I have in my connections, are select automatically or manually. I've tried selecting manual, and connecting to my home mobile network. It connects, but Still the same problem later.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, because when you say your "home mobile network," that sounds like your wi-fi. Your mobile data is from your cell carrier, and there should just be that carrier for you (unless you have a dual SIM phone).

Jwardweb

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
This problem just came up for my wife (Galaxy S9+ Pie update). Any more information? Also, did anyone else start experiencing this problem after playing the new Harry Potter Wizards Unite game?

Dragonabsurdum

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site
Telling someone that their problem is that they simply didn't explore their carrier options is ignorant and rude. Places do exist that do not have any carrier network coverage, period. B. Diddy's response does not address the issue of how the phone functions in absence of a carrier signal, which is what the OP was asking about.

This is the solution I used:
- Turn on Airplane Mode
- Go to Settings
- Go to Connections
- Select WiFi settings and turn Wifi back on (and/or Bluetooth, if needed)

Airplane mode will still be on, preventing the phone from searching for a carrier, but you should be able to use your WiFi.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you review the thread, you'll notice that I was trying to address the OP's initial concern, but I was trying to make sure I completely understood the issue. The response that you're upset with was a bit of a sidetrack. You may also notice in my recent post that Rukbat's response was to a post that has since been deleted, not to the OP. I think I may have to clean up this thread so that there are no further misunderstandings.

Your solution is fine if the OP is constantly in a poor signal area, but it would also require them to remember turning off Airplane Mode whenever they move into an area with better signal. If signal is spotty throughout the whole area, this might be unfeasible, because it can be difficult to know exactly when you've entered an area with signal unless Airplane Mode is off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: I have deleted a few contentious posts in this thread that were in response to another post (not from the OP) that had been deleted already for inappropriate language. This led to a misunderstanding that an Ambassador was responding in a rude way to the OP, but it was in fact to the post that had been deleted. Sorry for any confusion.

theterror180

Sep 30, 2019
Visit site
Settings -> Apps -> triple dot menu -> Special access -> Appear on top -> Show system apps -> turn off the "phone" one not the call one and it should fix this... Worked for me... Just make sure you still receive notifications about a new call...

Last edited:

John-ON

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
This only removed the pop-up. I still got the dingle/vibration and a similar message in my Notifications Panel on my S10e. I spent hours with Samsung and my provider (Koodo). Koodo finally fixed my issue by activating a feature on this new phone called Wi-Fi Calling. Now when I walk to the basement with my phone, it automatically switches from my cell carrier to my Wi-Fi without any notifications. I can phone, text or SMS without any additional charges and seamlessly. That is even better than removing the notifications.

Last edited: