"Personal Dictionary" for word "shortcuts"

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
This is what it was called on my BB Priv...I could go into the personal dictionary and create an entry such as "Iaiam" (and a corresponding "meaning")...and then anywhere (text or email) I would type Iaiam...it would type out "I am in a meeting"

This was a really cool, and time-saving feature. I would r for are, and I would n for and, and I would use cyb for call you back, and so on.

Any feature like this on the Galaxy S8 plus? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is how it works with the Samsung Keyboard app, but if you use Gboard, go to its settings, tap Dictionary>Personal Dictionary>[your language], and then tap the + at the upper right to add a shortcut. You can enter a word or a phrase, and then create a shortcut for that. Now whenever you type that shortcut, you'll see the word or phrase appear in the suggestions -- tapping it will replace the shortcut in the text you're typing.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Thanks!!! I am going on 72 hours with this new phone, and I've had a hectic weeks, so not much time to play with it, LOL. I have no idea what GBoard is, but I'll check it out. I am using the "default" Samsung keyboard -- the one that was working when I took the phone out of the box, LOL.

If that's as close as I can get, so be it. I have to admit, it was pretty cool -- in a text or email -- all I had to do was type "u" and "you" appeared. Or type "il" and "I'll"...and so on. I got to the point where I had sentences ties to four or five letters..."tysvm" for thank you so very much, or, "plmkat" for "please let me know and thanks"...and so on. Too bad I am such a creature of habit! LOL. Thanks again!!!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Gboard is Google's own keyboard app (previously known as Google Keyboard): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin&hl=en_US

I've been using the Gboard keyboard. While it takes some getting used to, it is working perfectly. The one major stumbling block for me is -- to send a text, instead of hitting the "return" key, which is of course on the keyboard...now, you have to "leave" the keyboard and go hit the little arrow button which is part of the text-field. It just takes getting used to and changing muscle-memory, LOL.

Very good "fix" for what I was looking to do. Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress