Verizon S9+ Unable to set individual SMS notification tones

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You are right that feature is now missing. If you use Textra messaging you can set a custom ringtone and custom notification sound for each contact. Thats the only way around this I think

Thank you for the information on Textra! I will give it a try. =)

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually you can set different colors for the light and also different colors for icon that shows in the notification bar too

Oh, that's interesting. I've never used anything but the Samsung default app, so I'm looking forward to these enhanced features of Textra.

I'm trying to make sure I don't miss any client texts or, unfortunately, the out-of-state family group texts. Ugh! :confused: The family gets a little nuts when I don't respond. =)

Thanks Again

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If you don't want to constantly check your phone; I know it's not a cheap or simple workaround, but I got the Gear S3 Frontier watch for this purpose. I'm a teacher so I keep my phone in my desk drawer while teaching, but if I get a text I can shoot a quick glance at my watch to see who it is and the content without reaching for the phone. You've also intrigued me, I'm going to check out Textra as well just for the theme customizations.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to constantly check your phone; I know it's not a cheap or simple workaround, but I got the Gear S3 Frontier watch for this purpose. I'm a teacher so I keep my phone in my desk drawer while teaching, but if I get a text I can shoot a quick glance at my watch to see who it is and the content without reaching for the phone. You've also intrigued me, I'm going to check out Textra as well just for the theme customizations.

I know several teachers who do this, very smart! Also, Chomp SMS is a fantastic and very customizable sms app!

TDSI

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So received my S9+ yesterday and was very impressed with the switch from my S8. All of my settings apps, etc seemed to seemlessly come over. Everything was great until I noticed my incoming texts lost their custom tones. Like many - I dont want to look with every incoming text or notification who is texting me - so I prefer individual tones for specific contacts. I tried in vain for hours to find the settings - to no avail. I called samsung - this feature is not available on the new S9 and S9+?!?! Seriously - it's been on every galaxy phone since my S3?! I rely on this ... anyone find a way to get it back?

I just got my S9 yesterday and found to be the same. I was going crazy for hours trying to figure out why the custom notification tone field was missing in the stock contact app. Thank goodness I checked the forums and found I was not going crazy. They need to add this field back in. I tried using Google Contacts and Google Messaging. If you have an open text conversation open is Google Messages it will allow you to add a custom notification tone. However, once you delete that conversation, which I do typically to clean up texts, it defaults back to the standard notification tone again. If you use third party contacts or messaging, they don't sync on the Gear Watch app. Also, if you disable the stock contact app (package disabler pro) it then deletes the stock phone app and the contacts in that app. You can't win. I just wish they would go back to the s8 version of the contact app and then there would be the custom notification field back in. Hope there is a fix.

1986_3

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I got mine yesterday as well. I agree very frustrating. But I tried repetitively and you can only chance to overall notification the not individual. Total bummer.

kuczw

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Got mine yesterday also I really hope they fix this because that would be a deal breaker and for the first time in years I would not have a Samsung phone really bummed

ShadowMagick

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I contacted customer service and this is what I was told:

Connecting you to a Care Pro now.
Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:29:30 AM)
Thanks for reaching in! I'll quickly go through the previous conversation.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:29:30 AM)
Meantime, let me know the place of purchase (name of the country) of the device.

User (03-15-2018 12:29:48 AM)
USA

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:30:10 AM)
I see that you want to set the specific ringtone for the specific contacts.

User (03-15-2018 12:30:11 AM)
I have the S9 plus

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:30:15 AM)
What is the model number of phone? For non removable batteries, you can find it at rear panel of your mobile. For removable batteries, you can find it beneath the battery. Also you can try Menu>>Apps>>Settings>>About device>>Model Number. It generally starts with SGH, SCH, SPH or SM.

User (03-15-2018 12:30:53 AM)
SM-G965U

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:31:05 AM)
In S9 plus, we can not set specific ringtone for the specific contacts due to Oreo update.

User (03-15-2018 12:31:27 AM)
thats stupid...lol...is there going to be a fix for it?

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:32:10 AM)
I just want to make sure that I provide you accurate information. I do not want to misinform you.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:32:30 AM)
Sure, I will take it as a feedback and forward it to the appropriate support team.

User (03-15-2018 12:32:45 AM)
It will let me set ringtones for calls, but not notification sounds for texts messages

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:32:50 AM)
I will file the reference ticket for you and will document all your concerns in details. Our dedicated department will go through the notes and help you with the needful.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:32:50 AM)
Please help me with the following information to file the ticket for you:

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:34:20 AM)
Thank you for the information.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:34:20 AM)
Could you give me a few minutes while I file the ticket for you?

User (03-15-2018 12:34:28 AM)
I need to be able to do that so I know when my boss is texting me versus random texts from apps and friends

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:35:01 AM)
Yes, I do understand your requirement.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:37:11 AM)
I appreciate your time and patience.

Dipali G (Samsung Agent)(03-15-2018 12:37:26 AM)
I have created the ticket for you. The ticket number is: 1137387263.

Maybe if enough people complain and submit tickets it will be fixed faster?

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
This may be an OREO issue. My s8+ was running the OREO beta and the text notification was missing. I was very happy to get my Note 8 running 7.1.1 which had the text notifications. Perhaps someone with a Pixel can state whether this is an overall Oreo feature or just the Samsung flavor of OREO....

~S

Cathy Bowman

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately the option is completely missing now, as mentioned already.

I discovered this yesterday as well, and may go back to my s8 and return this, as I rely on the feature in a big way to know who is texting me while working without pulling out my phone 100x. I read any s8 phones that have received oreo are now missing the feature as well though!!

Apparently its a setting that disappeared with Oreo...so if your s8 hasn't updated yet, it may be missing it as well when it does.

Howard3

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
No, Sorry that's not it.

I have T-Mobile also, notifications are no longer listed (that I could find) when you edit the contact. It does list Ringtone & Vibration Pattern which can be edited.

I read in the S8 forums that they thought the feature was deleted in Oreo.

It wasn't deleted in Oreo. I have the Pixel 2XL and it is available. I also cannot find it on the 9 Plus. Stupid move on Samsung. Send out an over the air update and fix it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't deleted in Oreo. I have the Pixel 2XL and it is available. I also cannot find it on the 9 Plus. Stupid move on Samsung. Send out an over the air update and fix it.

Oreo for the Pixel isn't the same as Oreo for the S9+.

Howard3

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Couldn't have been taken away on the S9+ if the S9+ never had it. :)

According to Samsung, who I am chatting with now, the update they sent out yesterday removed it. Or that's the party line they are sticking to.
They say a future update may bring it back. You just need to wait and see.
So basically it was a feature on the phone for 2 days and then it was removed. According to Samsung

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
According to Samsung, who I am chatting with now, the update they sent out yesterday removed it. Or that's the party line they are sticking to.
They say a future update may bring it back. You just need to wait and see.
So basically it was a feature on the phone for 2 days and then it was removed. According to Samsung
I haven't gotten a update yet for my s9 plus and I don't have the option so it wasn't the update you got.

swalker2001

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
There are several great SMS apps that will give us back this capability. HOWEVER, if you have the Gear S3 you must use the default Samsung messaging app from which they have removed this capability.

I use Twitter for Samsung tech support and it was confirmed to me this morning that you can do custom per-user ringtones but not sms notifications. I asked why that capability was removed and the only answer was "we'll pass your concern on for future updates."

If you have a Twitter account, I recommend tweeting @SamsungSupport and voicing your concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sergio1