Anyone else hate the Curved Screen ?

Maria Clapham

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been a Samsung devotee since the s2. I did bypass an upgrade when they ditched the sd card though. However I hate the curved screen edges. I chose the flatter version for the S7 but this isn't an option on the s9. Do you think they will ever go back to flatter screen edges ?

I have always had glass screen protectors. I have horses so my pockets are always full of hay, straw . Lots of stuff that would scratch the screen. Plus the phones have a habit if falling out of my pocket when I muck out. This has never been a problem before as the screen protectors did their job.

As per normal I bought a screen protector for the s9 before I bought it to ensure I could stick it on straight away. It fell off after 3 days as it only stuck to the edges. During the wait for the new protector despite being extra careful my screen has marks on it.

I won't be due an upgrade for 2 years but won't get another phone with curved edges. Even if I have to switch brands.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I love the curved screen. So sexy!

That being said, I would prefer if the display itself didn't curve. I'd be OK with a flat display with a curved bezel that doesn't interfere. Sexy and functional.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought a glass screen protector with full adhesive. Not perfect but works ok and no worries of it falling off

r511

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
The S9+ is my first phone with a curved screen. I want a fan at first but have grown to absolutely love it!
I never have the same phone longer than 6-9 months so I've never ever used any kind of screen protection.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been a Samsung devotee since the s2. I did bypass an upgrade when they ditched the sd card though. However I hate the curved screen edges. I chose the flatter version for the S7 but this isn't an option on the s9. Do you think they will ever go back to flatter screen edges ?

I 100% would prefer a flat screen but Samsung is making the best phones right now so I have to take what I can get....

That being said having the Whitestone Dome glass on my last two phones has made the experience much better they are the only screen protector that actually works as you would expect a tempered glass screen protector to.

If I could calm my habit of having the bleeding edge in Technology I would wait and get the Galaxy Active line since they do come with flat screen. From what you say you do sounds like you're a prime candidate for the active line although considering you said you have 2-year upgrades I assume you're not on T-Mobile or AT&T

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Honestly I don't even notice the curved screen... doesn't bother me a bit... much better that a notch that'd would drive me nutz lol

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks nice but I'd rather have a phone that's easier to use and can be protected properly.

Never smashed a screen on any of my Galaxy's from the S2 - S7 then managed to smash the S7 edge, S8 Plus and Note 8 all on their first drop with cases on them.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty ambivalent about the curved screen as this is my second Galaxy smartphone with one. Since there is no functional reason, it's an aesthetic that could be removed going forward. Ultrathin bezels are possible with flat screens. My wife cracked her tempered glass screen protector as a result of dropping her GS9+ in her lap on to a tile floor.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I enjoy how the screen image wraps around without end. This time around I went with a rubber ghost armor screen protector applied professionally and a spigen liquid air case which is completely compatible. I upgraded from S7 nonedge to this S9+. So far I love it with no regrets.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I 100% would prefer a flat screen but Samsung is making the best phones right now so I have to take what I can get....

That being said having the Whitestone Dome glass on my last two phones has made the experience much better they are the only screen protector that actually works as you would expect a tempered glass screen protector to.

If I could calm my habit of having the bleeding edge in Technology I would wait and get the Galaxy Active line since they do come with flat screen. From what you say you do sounds like you're a prime candidate for the active line although considering you said you have 2-year upgrades I assume you're not on T-Mobile or AT&T
There are glass screen protectors with full adhesive that work well and at a much cheaper price. Installation is pretty difficult though,but that's true of white stone too

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am willing to bet the majority (51% is a majority) either do not like or hate the curved corners and edges. They affect media, legibility and practical ability to protect the display. Cases are also somewhat awkward. The other features that are good though, override this for most.

I would happily trade a slightly wider device for a flat display. In fact, if the rumored flat device is not an April Fools joke and sold in the US (and has all the 9+ features), I would jump to it in a nanosecond.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't care either way. the egdes give the phone a really light, compact feel. it makes other phones seem bulky in comparison.

But if Samsung went flat again I'd be fine with that too.

I predict they'll keep the curve in 2019, but will refine it in a way that is more pleasing to both camps.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The curved screen has no real use so I don't understand why Samsung keeps using it.
Yes it may look cool at first but after a few days it becomes annoying especially when it comes to finding a good screen protector and case that works with it which is basically limiting us to just a few options.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
The curved screen has no real use so I don't understand why Samsung keeps using it.
Yes it may look cool at first but after a few days it becomes annoying especially when it comes to finding a good screen protector and case that works with it which is basically limiting us to just a few options.

I'm not sure if the curved screen helps the edge feature(which I do use often) work better or not but I havent had an issue finding screen protectors or cases that are compatible. At least for cases options aren't limited but yes it is harder to find good tempered glass protectors - I just use Whitestone. So again I really don't notice the curved screen and it doesn't bother me like some.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the curved screen helps the edge feature(which I do use often) work better or not but I havent had an issue finding screen protectors or cases that are compatible. At least for cases options aren't limited but yes it is harder to find good tempered glass protectors - I just use Whitestone. So again I really don't notice the curved screen and it doesn't bother me like some.
There are cheaper options for tgsp. I found a full adhesive two pack for $18. It isn't as good as white stone dome of course. But good enough for me, considering the price

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
There are cheaper options for tgsp. I found a full adhesive two pack for $18. It isn't as good as white stone dome of course. But good enough for me, considering the price

Nice! I really like Whitestone but woulda gave those a try considering the price if I'd had seen 'em first... Bodyguardz has a full adhesive TGSP out now too but its 45$ also. 36$ if you get it from their website. A buddy of mine got it and says it works well. Their free lifetime replacement and free shipping if you buy a case with it makes it not to bad a deal. I almost wish I'd have went that route since I got their Ace Fly case...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo