Extending the USB power cable - Can you do it?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you extend the length of the USB charging cord using a regular USB extension cord?

Anyone done this?
Safe? Effective?

Thanks!
P

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have when I had an ipad. I had a ridiculous long USB extension and it worked fine. So I would guess if this worked with an apple product pretty much anything goes.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
After reading the question I looked for and found a two foot usb extension cable I have had for years. Worked fine with my 10.1.

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Why is the USB cable soooo short? 3ft is almost useless for me.

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!

The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

The shorter the cable, the cheaper to manufacture.

Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.

16' is probably the right answer. I said 300' but that is for a CAT V cable on ethernet.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
FAIL. :( I bought a USB extension cable and it didn't work. :( :( Is there some extra special kind of extension cable i should buy??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa