Micro SD card

ajcstr

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
OK, so this is my 2nd tablet (first one running 2.2 and i basically just used it as a book reader/internet browser with a few bank apps) and I have been seeing a lot about Kitkat making micro sd cards useless. I have read the linked articles in other posts, so my question is what are people using sd cards with this tablet for? I figure it will find any music I put on the card, but what else CAN be done? I have a friend with Kitkat on his Samsung phone and he is able to take pictures directly to the card which I thought was not possible, so I am a little confused.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If an app creates a folder on the card, that app can write files to that folder. The change is that an app can't just write to any folder it wants to. So, for example, if you take a picture and it's stored in a folder on the card, a picture editor probably can't save the edited picture to the same folder. If the editor takes ownership of the folder, the camera can't store pictures there.

IOW, the external card now works exactly the same way the rest of the phone's storage does. (The exception is if you're using the card in a card reader plugged into a computer - the computer doesn't know about Android's permissions.)