Is it possible to view videos or a photo slide show from a USB-connected flash drive or card reader?

gentoo52

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Starting with the card reader:
To get a quick view of the contents of a camera sd card, attached by an OTG card reader - is it possible to view the contents continuously as if they were in the tablet memory? Thumbnails are visible but I can only get it too open the photo full screen, close it, then move on to the next one. What do I need to do to get them to swipe full screen?

Videos
I can't get it to show videos directly off a USB at all.

If I need different kind of cable (i.e. powered in some way), what would it be?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Videos definitely don't show in the Gallery app. I think if you use MyFiles and locate the video you may be able to show it. Or perhaps a video app would "discover" the videos, no matter where they are stored.

I don't recall trying to view off my thumb drive once I copied my pictures to it. During a vacation in France I hooked my Canon camera up to usb to go and copied the pictures directly from the camera to my Tab S. The Gallery app popped open and the camera showed up. Then I copied them to a thumb drive as additional backup (I carried that with me on hikes and such). But, again, the Gallery does not show videos. So I just realized that I never copied any of the camera's videos for backup purposes. I should look to see if I can access them with some other app while still in the camera. Well, I just hooked up the camera to the Tab S and canNOT find a way to view or even find Videos that are on its sd-card. I guess to do a full backup of anything in the camera would require pulling the card and using a reader via OTG.

Last edited:

gentoo52

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for trying.
I can accept the video question but, with limited space, I was trying to get a quick view of the photos without copying them.
We take a lot of photos and only have 64Gb + 16Gb on the tablet!
It doesn't seem to work fully on the OTG card reader, either.
So no joy - unless someone else has an idea?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, the OP (original poster) is still following this thread.

I guess the answer is YES it is possible with the proper application. I just plugged a thumb drive into my Tab S that has a few folders of photos.

I initially used the MyFiles (native) app. I selected one photo. Then tried a few apps. Gallery did not work nor did another app. BUT and app called ASTRO Image Viewer has a Slideshow option and it works. I found that ES Image Browser also has a Slideshow mode that also work.

So, yes, you can run a slideshow off a thumb drive connected by usb otg.

And I found an app Video Player (Is it the native video app?) was able to show a video that was on the same thumb drive connected to the tab s.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89