Can't copy files within device

crkckr

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I know I'm doing something wrong with my new Galaxy Tab S2, I just can't figure out what. I am trying to copy some ringtone files from one folder to another folder, both on the device memory (as opposed to the sdcard), however, every time I have tried (using both ES Explorer an OI File Manager) I get a 'copy failed' message. On the ES app it says the files are 'read only' but I should still be able to copy them to another folder so that my Jorte planner can access them. So what is it I'm doing wrong?
TIA,
Mike

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or use ES to change the permissions to 777 (everyone has all permissions), copy them, then change them back to what they were. (Ringtone files aren't normally read only - but the folder you're trying to copy them to may be - in which case you have to change the folder's permission.)

crkckr

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I should have mentioned that I tried that one as well but it refuses to show any system files. The folder I am trying to copy to doesn't even show up on My Files. On both ES & OI it is the base device memory (equal to C/ on a PC).

I have tried it without the SD card installed and also with my Win 10 PC but the PC will not show thw system files either.
Mike

crkckr

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, you've lost me on this, I've no idea how to do that! I've looked through all of the tools & such on ES but didn't see anything regarding permissions. I will do a search and see if I find some info on how to do that, thanks.
Mike