Coming from iPhone need suggestions

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well everyone this phone is AMAZZZZZING!!!! Can't believe how boring my old iPhone 13 Pro Max feels now. The phone went thru a TON of updates yesterday and even this morning is installing and downloading some security updates. The watch matched with the phone no problem, biggest problem was getting Verizon on board with switching the service from the old Apple Watch. I do have one question, and more too come i'd imagine.....but when I had the "Always on Display" on, on my old Note, it would literally ALWAYS be on, on this fold with the "AOD" on, it doesn't stay on, when i tap the front screen once it will show the AOD but then goes away, am i missing something here?
Go to settings and follow picture numbers
3982655d85806dc5002281ab88d66764.jpg

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Ahh thank you, I just pulled the menu down from the top and selected it there, didn't know there was an extra setting imbedded

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, simply put: the pair iPhone/Apple Watch is unmatchable for me, even for my Fold 3 and Galaxy Watch 4. Yes these two work well together but... I find Apple Watch far, but very far superior. Actually it is one of the mais reasons I keep using my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

That put: the Fold, for me, is far superior to that same 12 Pro Max.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, simply put: the pair iPhone/Apple Watch is unmatchable for me, even for my Fold 3 and Galaxy Watch 4. Yes these two work well together but... I find Apple Watch far, but very far superior. Actually it is one of the mais reasons I keep using my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

That put: the Fold, for me, is far superior to that same 12 Pro Max.
As much as I love, love, love my Android and S22Us and GW3's the Apple Watch is a great great product. ...but I'll sacrifice it, gladly for these new Android phones because they're incredible. Not just the Samsung phones but the One Plus 9 Pro I used briefly was really nice and they're worth taking a long hiatus from the Apple Watch/iPhone combo. I'm just too bored with the iPhone and it's limits...but I digress....

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So what does the apple watch do that's so much better? It's an extension of your phone. For me that's all it is, I can look at my watch for notifications, I can send out quick replies and not have to take phone out of pocket, I can make or receive calls for quick responses. I use the calculator from time to time, listen to music thru it while exercising. I have the LTE version and I have the advantage of being able to leave the phone behind and go somewhere and not miss any calls or messages. The Samsung watch does all of this well, so I'm just curious at what we are missing on the apple watch that makes the apple watch a dream.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So what does the apple watch do that's so much better? It's an extension of your phone. For me that's all it is, I can look at my watch for notifications, I can send out quick replies and not have to take phone out of pocket, I can make or receive calls for quick responses. I use the calculator from time to time, listen to music thru it while exercising. I have the LTE version and I have the advantage of being able to leave the phone behind and go somewhere and not miss any calls or messages. The Samsung watch does all of this well, so I'm just curious at what we are missing on the apple watch that makes the apple watch a dream.

+1 for me on this question. I have never owned an Apple Watch, so I cannot say from experience. I HAVE watched a lot of Apple Watch reviews and comparisons to the GW4, and just don't see how it is FAR superior than the GW4. I can see how some would think This Feature or That Feature can beat out another watch, but implying that:

I find Apple Watch far, but very far superior.

I'd really like to know what makes it that much better. :D

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For me, that's a matter of a few little things. For example, often when I raise my arm to see the time or a notification on my Watch 4, it simply doesn't turn screen on properly. I need to push some buttons in order to achieve this - yes, the option to turn on when I raise the arm is properly enabled. With Apple Watch this never happen with me. With Galaxy 4 sometimes I miss the message reply because, for some reason, it lost communication with my Fold. With Apple Watch, again,this never happen. In Galaxy Watch 4 more often than I would like I face some inconsistencies with the Fitness app. One time I literally got scared because the watch was saying my heartbrake was more than 160 when I was calm, seated, reading. Luckily I was at home, and could get my Apple Watch just to see it was a Galaxy Watch misreading, which I could confirm with a proper equipment I have, too.

So, as you see, there are a lot of little things that, day after day, makes Apple Watch a lot better for me (and I am concerned only about my needs, let's be clear). Galaxy Watch 4 is complete, is more beautiful, I really like it's general presentation more, but it simply have some glitches and scratches that the Apple Watch doesn't have.

For me, that's it.

EDIT: oh, and of course, the Apple Watch battery lasts MUCH longer than that of the Galaxy Watch, which is another important thing for me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It is the little things. Like how you can customize the watchface to show what you want exactly where you want. Yes Galaxy Watches can be customized but it's far more limited compared to what you can do on an Apple Watch.

TBF, I haven't had a GW⁴ yet so it that levels the playing field for the Galaxy Watch, I apologize. ...but I do miss my AW7...but not enough to go back.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Fair points. I just never had an AW, so wanted to know.

GW4 really changed the game from pervious version. Rather than Tizen, we're now running Android Wear, so have access to a LOT more apps and services. They just released Android Assistant for GW4, so that's a thing now, and it's really awesome since our house is automated mainly through Google Home.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. For me those aren't far better qualities on a watch, but I don't use those features either. If you do I can see your points. I just use watch health settings for guidelines, I don't think it's accurate for one second, but showing 160 for blood pressure would be ridiculous. I've never had mine do that

mib1800

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, that's a matter of a few little things. For example, often when I raise my arm to see the time or a notification on my Watch 4, it simply doesn't turn screen on properly. I need to push some buttons in order to achieve this - yes, the option to turn on when I raise the arm is properly enabled. With Apple Watch this never happen with me. With Galaxy 4 sometimes I miss the message reply because, for some reason, it lost communication with my Fold. With Apple Watch, again,this never happen. In Galaxy Watch 4 more often than I would like I face some inconsistencies with the Fitness app. One time I literally got scared because the watch was saying my heartbrake was more than 160 when I was calm, seated, reading. Luckily I was at home, and could get my Apple Watch just to see it was a Galaxy Watch misreading, which I could confirm with a proper equipment I have, too.

So, as you see, there are a lot of little things that, day after day, makes Apple Watch a lot better for me (and I am concerned only about my needs, let's be clear). Galaxy Watch 4 is complete, is more beautiful, I really like it's general presentation more, but it simply have some glitches and scratches that the Apple Watch doesn't have.

For me, that's it.

EDIT: oh, and of course, the Apple Watch battery lasts MUCH longer than that of the Galaxy Watch, which is another important thing for me.

I am using Fold 3 with GW3 and they do everything nicely. Maybe your gw4 got issues. Lift to wake, hr and notifications are working without issue.

AW is no way as user friendly as GW. You talked about cramming info into watch face of AW which is too small to read and look hideous. I think the widget screens on GW are much more practical. I use a nice analog watch face (with basic date, battery, hr). The rest of info I just turn the bezel to get to widgets with big nice readable screen text for health, calender, weather etc.

I don't know GW4 but my GW3 lasted 35 hrs with full watchface AOD (not those minimal and dimmed ones). I read the new AW7 cannot even last a day with AOD on. Plus Samsung Health app is more integrated and more functional than Apple.

Last edited:

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Well put, that is exactly what I use my Watch (samsung) for. For people that use Apple they just get stuck using Apple Ego system and hard to come out of. Gave up on iPhone since Version 4. I haven't look back since. Still using iPad for other things, and actually still using both Apple and Android.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. For me those aren't far better qualities on a watch, but I don't use those features either. If you do I can see your points. I just use watch health settings for guidelines, I don't think it's accurate for one second, but showing 160 for blood pressure would be ridiculous. I've never had mine do that
Not at all especially battery life. Everytime I ask someone why they prefer the AW it always takes them deep thought trying to find a reason . It is what it is everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm just glad that I get everything I need in my galaxy watches.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am using Fold 3 with GW3 and they do everything nicely. Maybe your gw4 got issues. Lift to wake, hr and notifications are working without issue.

AW is no way as user friendly as GW. You talked about cramming info into watch face of AW which is too small to read and look hideous. I think the widget screens on GW are much more practical. I use a nice analog watch face (with basic date, battery, hr). The rest of info I just turn the bezel to get to widgets with big nice readable screen text for health, calender, weather etc.

I don't know GW4 but my GW3 lasted 35 hrs with full watchface AOD (not those minimal and dimmed ones). I read the new AW7 cannot even last a day with AOD on. Plus Samsung Health app is more integrated and more functional than Apple.
AW watches have never been good on battery. Anyone who says that's why they choose it over a GW is just trying to find a reason lol...

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
AW watches have never been good on battery. Anyone who says that's why they choose it over a GW is just trying to find a reason lol...

Honestly, with the way I have my watch set up, I get by without ever worrying about battery life.

I charge my watch in the mornings when I am showering. When I put it on the charger, I normally have anywhere from 35% to 45% battery still.

Typical Day:

Walking the dogs 4 times a day (auto records walk for exercise)
Cycling daily for about an hour (tracked by my watch as well)
Only Calls/Voicemail/Text/2 Email accounts and other misc. watch notifications

Oh, also now have Google Assistant on my watch, but I have the "Hey Google" turned off and just use a button to get to it, and I use it several times a day for home automation and setting reminders/notes to Google Keep.

I'm not going to say it's better than my other watched, but with the way I use it, I have never had to fear my battery dying.

Imjrb3

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Late to the game here but I can answer this question. I own both the Z Fold 3 & Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (46mm) as well as iPhone 13 Pro & Apple Watch 7 (SS.) I have had the Samsung hardware since launch.
I used the Samsung set-up from Aug/Sept through January of 2022. I switched back to an Apple set-up in February for one reason only- communication. US based, all friends and family, colleagues and (most) clients are in Apple ecosystem it's just more difficult when you aren't. My phone needs to add convenience, not force me to adopt work-arounds (or impose them on others.)
I FAR prefer the Samsung Z Fold 3 for personal and business use for almost everything else. It's rendered my iPad Pro 12.9 almost obsolete. I've never used a case, never babied it and it's flawless. If Android is ever able to offer iMessage, FaceTime and native Visual Voicemail (not carrier supported) in addition to a few other user specific applications, I'd be Android exclusive (probably.)
Which brings me to the Watches. It's hard to explain WHY Apple Watch is better. Little things like raise-to-wake being more responsive to broader app availability (and their inherent quality) make a big difference. And Again, there's an ecosystem play. Most of my circle also have an AW so sharing fitness goals is a nice way to stay connected. More 3rd-party fitness applications seem to integrate with AW (compared to Wear OS and Tizen.) It's hard to compare to GW4 without talking about some of it's flaws too. Battery life is bad on AW but no better on GW4. The Galaxy Active 2 I had lasted DAYS. Samsung Health, while robust, isn't so intuitive (to me) and I find the pre-set workout options to be wanting (no "weight lifting", "functional fitness", "HIIT", etc.) You can make it work but it seems a glaring error. App selection for Wear OS is light and, in almost a year, hasn't improved much. Overall, the GW4 is essentially a first generation product. I think it LOOKS better, it's less expensive (considerably) and is CLOSE. I would use it without thought if I was only in the Android/Galaxy ecosystem.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Late to the game here but I can answer this question. I own both the Z Fold 3 & Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (46mm) as well as iPhone 13 Pro & Apple Watch 7 (SS.) I have had the Samsung hardware since launch.
I used the Samsung set-up from Aug/Sept through January of 2022. I switched back to an Apple set-up in February for one reason only- communication. US based, all friends and family, colleagues and (most) clients are in Apple ecosystem it's just more difficult when you aren't. My phone needs to add convenience, not force me to adopt work-arounds (or impose them on others.)
I FAR prefer the Samsung Z Fold 3 for personal and business use for almost everything else. It's rendered my iPad Pro 12.9 almost obsolete. I've never used a case, never babied it and it's flawless. If Android is ever able to offer iMessage, FaceTime and native Visual Voicemail (not carrier supported) in addition to a few other user specific applications, I'd be Android exclusive (probably.)
Which brings me to the Watches. It's hard to explain WHY Apple Watch is better. Little things like raise-to-wake being more responsive to broader app availability (and their inherent quality) make a big difference. And Again, there's an ecosystem play. Most of my circle also have an AW so sharing fitness goals is a nice way to stay connected. More 3rd-party fitness applications seem to integrate with AW (compared to Wear OS and Tizen.) It's hard to compare to GW4 without talking about some of it's flaws too. Battery life is bad on AW but no better on GW4. The Galaxy Active 2 I had lasted DAYS. Samsung Health, while robust, isn't so intuitive (to me) and I find the pre-set workout options to be wanting (no "weight lifting", "functional fitness", "HIIT", etc.) You can make it work but it seems a glaring error. App selection for Wear OS is light and, in almost a year, hasn't improved much. Overall, the GW4 is essentially a first generation product. I think it LOOKS better, it's less expensive (considerably) and is CLOSE. I would use it without thought if I was only in the Android/Galaxy ecosystem.

Thanks for your input. Well said.

As to the ecosystems, one thing I really dislike is that when I receive a video from an Apple phone it is garbage. If that same video is sent to another Apple phone it is fine. Also, people in group messages get ticked because of the "Android guy." I'm also not real fond of having to tell people to download a video app (ie. Duo, etc.) to video chat.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

As to the ecosystems, one thing I really dislike is that when I receive a video from an Apple phone it is garbage. If that same video is sent to another Apple phone it is fine. Also, people in group messages get ticked because of the "Android guy." I'm also not real fond of having to tell people to download a video app (ie. Duo, etc.) to video chat.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Getting people to download a app is next to impossible also. I gave up.