MapMyRun is updated as of today (for the phone)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since my Note 3 shows ANT+ in the heart rate monitor connection, according to this, since I do have "either of these technologies", I should see a "Sensor Settings" button in the "Settings" section but I don't. I have opened a ticket with MapMyFitness but has anyone else been able to connect to their Gear 2/Neo yet, or even have the "Sensor Settings" button in the app?

I have a Heart rate>Connect button (big orange button) in the app on the phone. When I hit it, it doesn't do anything other than momentarily go from orange to white and back to orange.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Heart rate>Connect button (big orange button) in the app on the phone. When I hit it, it doesn't do anything other than momentarily go from orange to white and back to orange.

When I click the orange connect button a popup with "Select Device" and "Use ANT+" comes up and stays there until I hit the back button. If I click on "Use ANT+" it says "ANT hardware connector disabled".

I wonder why there are so many differences? I'm on a Sprint Note 3 running KitKat 4.4.2, what phone do you have Dave?

mgbergman

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When I click the orange connect button a popup with "Select Device" and "Use ANT+" comes up and stays there until I hit the back button. If I click on "Use ANT+" it says "ANT hardware connector disabled".

I wonder why there are so many differences? I'm on a Sprint Note 3 running KitKat 4.4.2, what phone do you have Dave?

My message on my S4 is the same as yours, Jim.

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I actually was able to use Gear 2 Neo and my BT LE chest-strapped HRM with MMR. However, for some reason, the HRM connection gets lost very quickly (within a minute) after I start workout. Could be quality of contacts (I didn't manage to buy ECG gel to smear the contacts with, as suggested by the manufacturer).
Is there any limitation for HRM connection duration built into the free version of MMR? I'm asking because it seems MMR+ has more success with reading HRM data, but the problem is there is still no MMR+ app available for Gear 2 in Samsung app store here in Australia.

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I saw it on the previous version too. That's why I'm so confused about why they took it away.
The explicit setting is gone, but, when I hit "connect", it immediately sees my BT LE HRM without any problem and then can connect to it. My problem is it loses connection very quickly into the workout (within like 1 minute). I was wondering if this was a limitation of the free MMR version, as it stayed connected for much longer with MMR+. However, the latter doesn't work with the Gear 2 app yet.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The explicit setting is gone, but, when I hit "connect", it immediately sees my BT LE HRM without any problem and then can connect to it. My problem is it loses connection very quickly into the workout (within like 1 minute). I was wondering if this was a limitation of the free MMR version, as it stayed connected for much longer with MMR+. However, the latter doesn't work with the Gear 2 app yet.

The previous version would lose its connection quickly for me as well, but it least showed my Gear 2, my phone, and even my TV! This version doesn't show any Bluetooth devices nor does it connect to them. I opened a ticket with MMR yesterday about this but have yet to hear back from them.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Update: I got a crap reply from MMR support telling me to check the list of their supported devices. I did that and none of the Gears are listed.

I did find this Facebook post from their support that provides a little more hope: "We're sorry about the Gear trouble. The Gear team is working with ours to get this working top notch. You can expect full functionality to be back by the end of the month. We appreciate you reaching out to us and would love to support you further if you have other concerns."

I guess all we can do is wait.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Update: I got a crap reply from MMR support telling me to check the list of their supported devices. I did that and none of the Gears are listed.

I did find this Facebook post from their support that provides a little more hope: "We're sorry about the Gear trouble. The Gear team is working with ours to get this working top notch. You can expect full functionality to be back by the end of the month. We appreciate you reaching out to us and would love to support you further if you have other concerns."

I guess all we can do is wait.

Re heart rate monitoring, the watch can't accurately provide data when one is moving about, so what's all the angst about the MMR app not implementing HR monitoring?

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re heart rate monitoring, the watch can't accurately provide data when one is moving about, so what's all the angst about the MMR app not implementing HR monitoring?
I was referring to the app losing connection to the chest strapped BT LE sensor, not the watch. I'm not expecting anything from the Gear 2 crappy HRM, but I am expecting to be able to use my chest strapped one as it was working quite reliably with Runtastic Pro. However, there is still no Runtastic app available for Gear 2, at least outside of Austria.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to the app losing connection to the chest strapped BT LE sensor, not the watch. I'm not expecting anything from the Gear 2 crappy HRM, but I am expecting to be able to use my chest strapped one as it was working quite reliably with Runtastic Pro. However, there is still no Runtastic app available for Gear 2, at least outside of Austria.

ah. got it. I've got an old, old Polar HR monitor that has a sealed battery and it's long given up the ghost.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

At 63 with heart problems, I'm too old to do any running, but I do walk a mile and a half every day. The Gear 2's built in exercise app seems to track my heart rate pretty well while I'm walking and gives me an average at the end that also seems realistic. As flawed as it may be, I only want to be able to use and track that data inside MMR.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
At 63 with heart problems, I'm too old to do any running, but I do walk a mile and a half every day. The Gear 2's built in exercise app seems to track my heart rate pretty well while I'm walking and gives me an average at the end that also seems realistic. As flawed as it may be, I only want to be able to use and track that data inside MMR.

I suggest you get an accurate heart rate monitor if that's the case

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you get an accurate heart rate monitor if that's the case

Thanks, but it's not that bad. As long as I can see that it's within the normal range with the watch, I'm good.

I had a 33bpm heart rate with afib a few weeks ago before I got my watch and didn't even know it. I had an ablation then and will get a pacemaker next week. Then maybe I can try some running.

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re using Gear 2/Fit built in HRM, the key question is whether 3rd party apps have access to it. I seriously doubt that, otherwise I guess we would have already seen some apps doing this. If indeed this access is blocked by Tizen OS, you can abandon any hope for MMR or any other 3rd party app using the Gear built-in HRM.
As a side note, and this has already been tested and confirmed all over the net, Gear built-in HRM is usable only for static measurement. Start doing any exercise involving moving or sweating and it becomes completely unusable.