Not receiving notifications on my Gear S2

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I received my free Gear S2 from the promotion with the Galaxy S7 pre-order and right from the start, I had issues with receiving notifications. I've tried resetting the watch and uninstalling the Gear app and reinstalling. I contacted Samsung support and spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot with no success. They had me send the watch in for be checked and I just received it back. In the email they sent to me, it indicated that the problem was because the software was not updated (which I had already checked) but on the paperwork in the box itself, it said that they could not find anything wrong. Well, I'm still not receiving any notifications and I'm a little frustrated. To be clear, I have the watch set to vibrate and I have 3 notifications selected in my settings (email (stock), Message+, and Facebook). I should mention that I'm connected to a Galaxy S7 and my Gear is a 3G version (I have not activated it). I also noticed that in the settings menu on the Gear itself (not the app) under sound then vibration, I cannot turn on vibrate for incoming calls or vibrate for incoming notifications. Can anyone help?

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Here are my settings.
Under sound: Sound Mode - "Sound";
Volume - 15;
Vibration: Intensity = Strong and Long Buzz; Call Vibrate is turned on and for Notification it is on for new notifications.
In gear manager I have checked the apps I want to be notified about, and the Limit Notifications switch is OFF.
In Gmail and Messenger+ in setting I have them set to send notifications.
Also, if you have the 3g model you may have to make sure that the watch and phone have made a Remote Connection.
If you try using S-Voice on the watch to start a phone call or a message and you get the error that about no contacts found then do the following:
1. On the watch turn off Bluetooth.
2. Turn on WiFi while both the phone and watch are on the same network.
3. Wait for them to finish syncing your contacts (can take some time to complete depending on the number of contacts)
4. Turn Bluetooth back on and using S-Voice call someone in your contacts.

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Here are my settings.
Under sound: Sound Mode - "Sound";
Volume - 15;
Vibration: Intensity = Strong and Long Buzz; Call Vibrate is turned on and for Notification it is on for new notifications.
In gear manager I have checked the apps I want to be notified about, and the Limit Notifications switch is OFF.
In Gmail and Messenger+ in setting I have them set to send notifications.
Also, if you have the 3g model you may have to make sure that the watch and phone have made a Remote Connection.
If you try using S-Voice on the watch to start a phone call or a message and you get the error that about no contacts found then do the following:
1. On the watch turn off Bluetooth.
2. Turn on WiFi while both the phone and watch are on the same network.
3. Wait for them to finish syncing your contacts (can take some time to complete depending on the number of contacts)
4. Turn Bluetooth back on and using S-Voice call someone in your contacts.

Thank you for your reply! I've matched my setting to yours but I am still not getting email or text notifications (not sure about Facebook as I haven't received any messages). How do I check to make sure that they are set to send notifications? I'm also not receiving notifications for incoming calls.

tipztv

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Give the Gear app access to your notification. If it is checked, recheck it. It will restart the notification listener service and send those incoming notification to your watch

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Give the Gear app access to your notification. If it is checked, recheck it. It will restart the notification listener service and send those incoming notification to your watch

I'm not sure what you mean or how to do this. Can you provide me with some direction please?

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have 3 apps selected to receive notifications from in the Gear app, email, Facebook, and Message+ but I'm not receiving any notifications or calls on my Gear S2.

Karl Street

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. I have the S2 paired with an S6 Edge. Everything was working fine until both the phone and the watch got software updates last week. I have not received any notifications since. All the settings on the phone and the watch are correct. I took the drastic step of doing a factory reset on the watch and I am still not receiving any notifications. I was a little choked that the trusted devices feature was left out of the Marshmallow update. Without that and the notifications, my smartwatch, is just a watch.

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I should clarify. My notifications are hit or miss but mostly non existent. I just don't understand it. Part of the reason I opted to get this watch was for the notification feature otherwise I would have just purchased a standard watch. I'm starting to wish that I went with a different smart watch...

Karl Street

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I have been trying to get the notifications to work for days. I had the original gear watch paired to a Galaxy S3. I miss the camera on the watch. I used it every day at work. The S2 has a nicer strap and is more colorful, but the loss of the smart lock feature and the issues with notifications make this as cutting edge as the casio calculator watch I bought in the 80's

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Like one other person said. you may need to restart the Notification service by going into both the watch and gear app. Turn notifications off. Then turn them back on. I get all my notifications include from Google Now. One thing I was doing wrong was when I first got the watch I misread the 2nd item in the notifications section "Limit Notifications" and had that turn on. As a result none of my apps that I selected under "Manage Notifications" were coming through. Once I turned that off all my notification started being sent to my watch. This differs from Android Wear and can be confusing to some.

So you need to 1. make sure notifications is turned on in the App you want to notify you (Gmail, Message+ etc) and 2. that it is checked in the Manage Notifications section of Gear App. 3. That the notification on the watch is also turned on. last Make sure Limit Notifications is turned off.

Another thing. Make sure that from S-Voice you can reach your contacts. That is try saying to S-Voice (once activated) "Send a Text". If you get a response that you have no contacts than your watch is not completely connected to your phone. The 3g model wants to establish a remote connection. This is normally done when the phone portion of the watch is activated by your carrier. If you are only using the Bluetooth then you need to establish a remote connection using wifi. Turn off Bluetooth on the watch. Turn on WiFi and wait for all the contacts to sync. This can take some time to complete and the contacts are not synced in any order. Once the contacts are synced you can than turn off wifi and Bluetooth back on. Check again by telling S-Voice to "Send a text"
Hope that helps

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
How do I turn on and off the notification on the watch itself? Where is that in the settings? I've turned it off and back on through the app but I'm still not receiving notifications. My limit notifications is turned off and my watch is set to vibrate mode. I've also triple checked to make sure that the apps I want to be notified from are selected. I've also checked to make sure my Gear as well as the app are up to date.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
How do I turn on and off the notification on the watch itself? Where is that in the settings? I've turned it off and back on through the app but I'm still not receiving notifications. My limit notifications is turned off and my watch is set to vibrate mode. I've also triple checked to make sure that the apps I want to be notified from are selected. I've also checked to make sure my Gear as well as the app are up to date.

Sorry, I meant the Samsung Gear App. Also go to the watch and do a "Lite Reset" Under Gear Info/Reset Gear/Light Reset. This can sometimes fix things. Worse case is to do a factory reset on the phone, but do a back up before you do that. It is in the Gear App.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If you have a best but with a Samsung kiosk try there. Some times they can help. There may be some other trick to try on a stubborn device. Or at least if it is defective they can let you know an maybe assist in getting good it fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to get the notifications to work for days. I had the original gear watch paired to a Galaxy S3. I miss the camera on the watch. I used it every day at work. The S2 has a nicer strap and is more colorful, but the loss of the smart lock feature and the issues with notifications make this as cutting edge as the casio calculator watch I bought in the 80's
Just curious but are you guys on Marshmallow? I have tried everything to get my Note 5 with Marshmallow to push notifications to my watch with no success. Now on my Nexus 6P running the Developer release of Android N every thing works perfectly right out of the box, so to speak.

tipztv

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I own a S7 Edge, so the steps are:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Lock screen and security.
3. Other security settings.
4. Notification access.
5. Select samsung gear.

Remember to disable any battery optimization apps or at least exclude the gear manager from the list. Those apps are killing the service that delivers notifications to your watch

tc1stgen

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I own a S7 Edge, so the steps are:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Lock screen and security.
3. Other security settings.
4. Notification access.
5. Select samsung gear.

Remember to disable any battery optimization apps or at least exclude the gear manager from the list. Those apps are killing the service that delivers notifications to your watch

I've done this and the Gear is already listed and turned on. I swiped it off and then back on and still my notifications are hit or miss. For example, my wife sent me two texts this morning within a minute of each other. The 1st one notified me on my Gear and the second one didn't. Actually all of my subsequent notifications since then have not come to my watch. It's frustrating cause I know that it works and I cannot figure out why they do not come through all of the time.

I've also started having battery issues. The first couple of days that I used it the battery life was stellar but yesterday, I barely made it through the day and had to switch to power saving mode. I charged my Gear over night and I've been up for 2 hours and I'm already at 89%. I have not been using the watch at all other than to check the time. Always on is off, wake up gesture is on, brightness is set to 7, WiFi is off, NFC is off, location is off, bluetooth is on, and the Gear network is set to auto switch. Am I missing something?

idle0095

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Its the watch. I have owned over 6 of these from the classic to sport to 4g models. All do the same thing. I would get notifications when the watch felt like it. This is by far the worse thing samsung has come out with. There customer care are idiots. Why sell something that just doesn't work all the time.
Samsung told me its because of the sensors in the watch. It detects when its off wrist and when the watch is one the side of the wrist. So if you hold your hand and tilt it to the side it will keep the watch asleep. Never mind the always on clock just not working at all. Maybe 1 hour of the whole day. This is just a junk design by samsung. I was told there was apps to keep the watch alive. It wakes it every 30 mins. But just get android wear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer