Oculus Go vs. Gear VR

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping this thread can be used as a kind of documentation for the Go/Gear VR information campaign.

I'm starting this to let people know that the SDK for Gear VR is the same SDK for Go, at it's core. As I'm not a developer, I haven't played around with it much, but it looks like there's little to no work to make sure apps on Gear VR now work with Go.

As a Gear VR user, I would only buy this for my kids, as I don't want them to have 700+ dollar phones yet. At 199USD, this would be a great option for my 12 year old.

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If Oculus Go will do VR better than my Merge/iPhone X combo I’m going to have to seriously consider buying. Either that or I need to win the PSVR contest.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As a Gear VR user, I would only buy this for my kids, as I don't want them to have 700+ dollar phones yet. At 199USD, this would be a great option for my 12 year old

I would say the Go is a great option for the casual VR user who wants a bit more than cardboard, and for those who don't have the correct phone for GearVR OR Google Daydream.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Some observations after using the Go for about 5 days:

I use my Gear VR everyday and when I heard about the Oculus Go being released, I was super excited. Then I heard about the Lenovo Mirage Solo. In the end, I kept the Oculus Go and returned the Mirage Solo. I could not rationalize paying another $200 for the 6dof and the display was more inferior (way too much chromatic aberation which sort of went away with fitment issues).

Now that I have the Go, I am wondering what I gained with the Go compared to the Gear VR. Sure, it is a standalone device that is not dependent on a phone. The app assortment is basically the same though and I do not have Bluetooth to be able to use a wireless headphone. To me, I watch videos (youtube, samsung VR, etc..) so, the gaming aspect is not that big of deal to me. The fogging sensation is still there with the Go like it was with the Gear VR. With the Oculus, there is no adjustment for eyesight so, I need to use the glasses with it compared to the Gear VR that I do not need it. So, now I am concerned about possibly scratching my glasses (high index glasses that cost about $500 after insurance). Maybe I am missing other things that are of value over my Gear VR setup.