Asks for a PIN even though you choose credit on Wells Fargo?

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried using my Wells Fargo Visa in a small business yesterday. I picked credit before "swiping" the phone, but I got a screen asking for my PIN number. I tried hitting "enter" without a PIN the first time, and I tried hitting "cancel" the second time, but the transaction wouldn't go through.

I tried again with a Citibank Visa, and it went through right away.

I had never had this problem with the Wells Fargo card, and when I tried using it later in the day, it went through without any PIN messages. It is NOT a combined credit/debit card.

Has anyone hit this before? It may have been the most expensive transaction I've ever tried using with Samsung Pay (it was more than $750), so I'm wondering if Wells Fargo has some kind of limit.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I tried using my Wells Fargo Visa in a small business yesterday. I picked credit before "swiping" the phone, but I got a screen asking for my PIN number. I tried hitting "enter" without a PIN the first time, and I tried hitting "cancel" the second time, but the transaction wouldn't go through.

I tried again with a Citibank Visa, and it went through right away.

I had never had this problem with the Wells Fargo card, and when I tried using it later in the day, it went through without any PIN messages. It is NOT a combined credit/debit card.

Has anyone hit this before? It may have been the most expensive transaction I've ever tried using with Samsung Pay (it was more than $750), so I'm wondering if Wells Fargo has some kind of limit.

Call and ask them? I use WF CC all the time with SP, never a problem but then again I've not had the opportunity to try it with more than a couple of hundred buck purchase.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Call and ask them? I use WF CC all the time with SP, never a problem but then again I've not had the opportunity to try it with more than a couple of hundred buck purchase.

Same here. Since WF went live a few weeks ago, I've had several charges in the $200 to $300 range, but nothing this high. Weird that they'd ask for a PIN, though. This is a card that does not have a chip -- it's due to be replaced in a few months -- so I don't even have a PIN for it.

I will call them and ask, since it must be a WF issue. The Citibank card went through with no problem. I don't think I've had a single charge of more than $300 on Citibank through Samsung Pay yet, but I've been using the Citi cards for almost six months, so a big charge wouldn't raise an alarm.