Port Cyanogenmod

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Cyanogenmod is one of the best custom ROMs available for Android. I personally don't know anything about porting ROMs but I am sure someone in this community does. We have gained root in gingerbread, we have ported CWM, and it is about time we add Cyanogenmod to the list. CM9 would be nice but idealy we would be porting CM7. Most of the developements would be coming from the other members of the community since i dont know anything about porting, but I will contribute where I can.

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This would be badass.

Is it possible to free up more space than what is allowed by just simply rooting the phone and deleting apps? This is what I did. I rooted my gingerbread replenish and I still am out of space easily. I guess I am just wondering if installing a rom like cyanogenmod would still give me more space somehow by tricking it into using the sd card more often than it normally would?..maybe like creating different sized partitions..?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
you guys need to understand on how "space" works ill try to explain it best as possible.

you have a windows computer witha bunch of hard drives in it, lets say 160gb is your c:\ drive. 160gb is your spare drive. well you think to yourself lemme free up some space on my c:\ drive by installing all of my programs on the spare drive (d:\) as well as all my settings so taht way just windows is on c:\....

so now you have all those programs on d: you keep downloading and installing apps... but youve got 160GB's so all is cool right? well as it turns out windows update... decided that your c:\ drive was a little full so all updates now go to your d:\ drive. so now you have your settings, programs and updates all on d:\ (which is where the market installs apps).

yet get a warning "whoa dude youve got low memory, cant install anymore programs!!!" so what do you do? you go to c:\ and think well hell i nbever use internet explorer... ill get rid of that, so now you freed up a bunch of space right?

nope. sorry you got some space on c:\ but that isnt where you are installing things... so it doenst even matter really.

the biggets issue you guys have is the google apps... like maps which is a fairly large program, and gets updates quite a bit you actually have two copies of it. one in /data/app (where market installs apps) and in /system/app (what came preinstalled on the phone) now you dont get to see how much space is available in /system/app so its just a guessing game.. you wanna free up space get the latest apps and put them in /system/app

this is also why.. when you root putting su and superuser.apk on your c:\ drive doing a factory reset, doesnt change that... as imagine a factory reset formatting your d:\ drive..

Last edited:
Reactions: randyist

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Great way to word it. Thank you! I always thought Google Maps was a hog. Just as I wanted to delete it, I realized how much I like navigation, etc, so I couldn't do it yet. I miss my Nexus S 4G, installing whatever I wanted, but I needed a phone that cost less on a plan, so I have the Replenish (It's 10 bucks a month less on Sprint)

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
starting with the CWM 7 (GB) recovery, plus Shabby's first cut at replenish files (and some help from Shabby in setting up my compile environment), I've been able to build a recovery image. It does not mount all partitions automatically, however I've been able to manually mount them, and backup. Hopefully this means I'll be able to compile a true CRM 7.0 based recovery image for our phones. Stay tuned. I work on this whenever I have time (which unfortunately is not often).

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you get stuck - I've been able to build the recovery image - have not tried anything else. Once I can figure out how to properly compress the ramdisk, I hope to be able to trouble shoot and fix the issues with the CWM recovery.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you get stuck - I've been able to build the recovery image - have not tried anything else. Once I can figure out how to properly compress the ramdisk, I hope to be able to trouble shoot and fix the issues with the CWM recovery.

Take a look at the Android Kitchen, I've been able to unpack, make edits and repack with it just fine. Maybe you could view the scripts to learn it manually. Which CWM did you compile?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
thanks - I'll look there tonight. I've gotten CWM 7 (gingerbread-release) to compile, specifically, the recoveryimage (make recoveryimage) only.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey firehak. What is the website for the android kitchen. I looled around uotkitche and could not find a way to repack a ramdisk so I am guessing there is somewhere else to go.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I see how that could be confusing. [KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.187 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers

I've gone through and edited Shabby's cm7 replenish device setup scripts slightly, but I can't honestly say I know what I'm doing. I was able to replace some files at the top of the setup script for libraries that actually exist on the replenish, but I don't know enough to fix it completely yet. I believe I changed the extract- files script some too. Would you like me to PM you a pastebin to save a little time? (If I even got it right, that is :p)

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I have been gone for a while... is CWM 5 working yet? I see we have made some progress with porting over CM7. Would be nice if we could get it ported over 100%. I am looking forward to seeing this released. I am waiting to get my phone back from samsung after my battery and charger got so hot that it melted my USB port. I have been experimenting with CM7 and an emulator so I'll see if anything comes of it. I have set the emulators hardware and mount points set to the exact same as the replenish's and have not really gotten anywhere with that though. Between robotics and homework there isn't much time for testing.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I have been gone for a while... is CWM 5 working yet? I see we have made some progress with porting over CM7. Would be nice if we could get it ported over 100%. I am looking forward to seeing this released. I am waiting to get my phone back from samsung after my battery and charger got so hot that it melted my USB port. I have been experimenting with CM7 and an emulator so I'll see if anything comes of it. I have set the emulators hardware and mount points set to the exact same as the replenish's and have not really gotten anywhere with that though. Between robotics and homework there isn't much time for testing.

I got a decent amount of free time..wanna help me get the emulator setup?? Id love to tinker and see what I could accomplish.

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a decent amount of free time..wanna help me get the emulator setup?? Id love to tinker and see what I could accomplish.

I don't have much free time. I will put up the emulator on my server for you to download whenever I get a chance. I might be able to got to the library during lunch and push it to my server, but we'll see.

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was looking into porting CM7 for the Replenish, and I came across this guide to porting ROMs: [GUIDE] How to port GB/CM7/Stock/ Based Roms to your Device - xda-developers

Given the similarities between the devices, I decided to use Hroark's CM7.1.0 Port for the Samsung Galaxy Prevail as my "Base", and firehak's PhoeniX 0.2 as my "Ported". (The ROM that you end up flashing is the "Base" in this guide.)

I ran into a bit of trouble editing the build.prop and updater-script files, mainly because I had no idea what to do.

Perhaps someone better versed in android development can take a look at it? I'm probably not experienced enough at it to create something that would actually work.

deke2010

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
hey guys.! so im excited to get cyanogenmod working on our phones. i can test or do watever needs to be done if you need another handd :D. i have a sprint replenish btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
^ I made up a flashable .zip based on the CM7 port for the Prevail, but it doesn't install in CWM. It comes up with an Error Status 7, and I believe I messed up somewhere while editing build.prop.

I can upload it if any of the devs want to take a look at it, and see if they can get it to work. I don't have the time or the skill to fix it myself at this point.