Factory reset as regular maintenance?

DrSPH

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
As my frustration with my Strat was growing ... hanging at random times, restarting randomly, freezing intermittently ... figured it only made sense to attempt a factory reset before declaring it a failed device.

I had gone so far as to purchase an extended battery because I was only getting a few hours with the original, but before the reset I carefully timed the extended battery as lasting only 6.5 hours with barely moderate use.

Oh, what a difference a wipe makes!

OK, a post-wipe lesson was that I really didn't need all of the apps I had loaded. But, again, I wasn't crazy nuts about apps (still had 20% core memory, 60% on the SD).

But given how zippity fast its running -- with now 16 hours running and 56% left on the extended battery -- it leads to me ask, should a factory reset be a part of regular maintenance, every 3, 6, 9 months?

Actually, I just checked and my Strat is a year old.
But the question still stands.
Is it reasonable to expect a device in moderate use to not need a reset?
I'm guessing that somewhere in the past year I installed/uninstalled something that left a monkey in the wrench of the system.

jrh4054

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I would never do a factory reset unless that was as a last resort to fix an issue. Most of us long-time Strat users started having serious problems after the system update last summer. I ended up having to do a reset and it took two days to get the phone back like it was. Thankfully, I haven't had some of the battery, shut down, etc problems that others have. I keep thinking I'll have a major crash as others have had. I can't wait for my July upgrade.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that somewhere in the past year I installed/uninstalled something that left a monkey in the wrench of the system.
I'm kind of with jrh4054 on factory resets, though fortunately I've never had to do one.

I just want to note, though, that, as much fun as I'm having picturing a monkey in a system wrench, I think the expression you're looking for is "left a monkey wrench in the works" (see a discussion here). A monkey wrench is an old-fashioned tool, kind of a pipe wrench with no "teeth" in its jaws. See the Wikipedia article.

DrSPH

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dave, the monkey in the wrench was supposd to be a play on words.

Still wondering about the negativity about resets.

1) I'm not a programmer, but doesn't use of a computing device involve leaving bits and pieces of apps that gum up the works?

2) I had a cache cleaner and system maintenance app running and needed to use them several times a day to restore a bit of speed. (I have not reinstalled them and haven't missed them - yet.)

3) Yes, starting from scratch was a bit annoying, less so with the automatic sync of most information. But, the Strat is running like new now, so why not reset?

I guess the bottom line question is: If a reset should NOT be an expected event, what could/should be done to avoid the need in the future?

~ ~ ~

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty