Grumpy old man issue.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I wish we could have a protocol or guideline for this grumble, but I can't think how.
A person, often new members but not exclusively, ask for help by starting a thread. 2 or 3 members and Ambassadors take the trouble to offer suggestions on one or usually more than one question, but need more info from the OP to answer fully and provide the full answer for other members.
So the OP's often not only don't acknowledge the help, but never return to their own thread. Or they respond to an early reply with half an answer, they request more info, a poster promises to come back, they do come back with the info/solution requested, but the OP is never heard of on the thread again, or even post a like.
It must by default happen more often to Central Ambassadors and Mods. Something you learn to live with I'm sure, but as a regular member, you start to think - why bother answering.

As mentioned, I may be just a grumpy middle aged/ old man.

If you start a thread with a request for a solution to something, please check back.
A little courtesy goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
A little politeness does go a long way, and in a perfect forum world, everyone would partake in common respect. Until then, those of us who do participate with integrity, can offset the less than ideal forum chit chat, and forum neglect (for lack of a better term.)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish we could have a protocol or guideline for this grumble, but I can't think how.
A person, often new members but not exclusively, ask for help by starting a thread. 2 or 3 members and Ambassadors take the trouble to offer suggestions on one or usually more than one question, but need more info from the OP to answer fully and provide the full answer for other members.
So the OP's often not only don't acknowledge the help, but never return to their own thread. Or they respond to an early reply with half an answer, they request more info, a poster promises to come back, they do come back with the info/solution requested, but the OP is never heard of on the thread again, or even post a like.
It must by default happen more often to Central Ambassadors and Mods. Something you learn to live with I'm sure, but as a regular member, you start to think - why bother answering.

As mentioned, I may be just a grumpy middle aged/ old man.

If you start a thread with a request for a solution to something, please check back.
A little courtesy goes a long way.

To answer the part of your post that I have quoted and underlined.
Regardless when I was a regular member or now currently a mod. if I thought I might be able to help someone I would post to their thread.Sometimes I could help and sometimes I was no help at all .I guess the way I take it if the OP never comes back to their thread the issue must have been resolved,since they usually keep on posting if it's not resolved.
I agree that that it is better for an OP to come back to their thread to say how their issue was resolved by thanking those who were trying to help them.But since we don't live in a perfect world I guess that's to be expected,but sometimes the OP will come back to say its resolved.
Having said that I have seen the very people who originally needed help and gotten answers from other members,, then in turn try to help others by responding to their questions to help them out.So in a way I don't think the ones who don't respond back don't mean to offend anyone or be rude or they wouldn't try to help as if to "return a favor kinda thing".
I hope I haven't totally confused you in my rambling, and it has made some kinda sense. HA
Personally it doesn't bother me either way. I will continue to try and help others regardless if I think I can help. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Correct to carry on helping, or in my case befuddling, on new queries. It's a great forum. Who knows what can cause someone to not return, or forget to reply. There just seemed to be more of them, and not so much the thanks but just to verify if the suggestion worked.
I had a coffee and croissant and am temporarily less grumpy. :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Correct to carry on helping, or in my case befuddling, on new queries. It's a great forum. Who knows what can cause someone to not return, or forget to reply. There just seemed to be more of them, and not so much the thanks but just to verify if the suggestion worked.
I had a coffee and croissant and am temporarily less grumpy. :)

I personally look at it this way: if the OP doesn't come back, chances are someone else comes across the thread and I help them. The outlined situation is just one of those you have to learn to think of it more as 'if they don't come back, it's their loss'.

The other thing to consider is they probably posted on several forums, and whichever answer they see first, wins.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I personally look at it this way: if the OP doesn't come back, chances are someone else comes across the thread and I help them. The outlined situation is just one of those you have to learn to think of it more as 'if they don't come back, it's their loss'.

The other thing to consider is they probably posted on several forums, and whichever answer they see first, wins.

That's all true of course, and the thread subject can be resurrected by someone with a similar issue.
Though only while it's still visible on a main page list, I'm guessing, or someone does a search of previous threads before starting one. I didn't when I was a noobie.
I am still getting in to the logistics or psychology of how forums like this work. It's fascinating really. :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's all true of course, and the thread subject can be resurrected by someone with a similar issue.
Though only while it's still visible on a main page list, I'm guessing, or someone does a search of previous threads before starting one. I didn't when I was a noobie.
I am still getting in to the logistics or psychology of how forums like this work. It's fascinating really. :)

Yeah, it all goes with the territory. You are probably right that it is more frequent with Ambassadors and Mods as we reply to many threads.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress