What's With the Jumping Android Central Page?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Is this happening to anyone else? (On my desktop computer) the AC website is doing a quick 1 second up/down movement and repeats every 6 seconds. It just goes up a tiny bit and back down. Scroll bar in the right isn't moving and it's not doing it on my phone.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
No Ads. I use Adblock Plus and have for many more years than I've been on the AC forums :)
And now it appears to have stopped. It was doing it when I just opened the page and now it's not.
It's been "jumping" all day!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I always get the same thing Monica,

I have AdFender running and it does not make allowances for the dimensions of the adverts.

If you use Firefox and AdBlock, it is pretty good to keep the pages from bouncing up and down.

but, this forum is the worst of any forum I have ever used....... it is horrible for bouncing all over the place until all of the images have been loaded. and that is even when the ad blockers are turned off.

I don't like it, but it is the way it is.

the worst part of it is, they are now using images to portray their adverts, not text that can be filtered out.

I run and moderate a forum, and I know how expensive it is to host the domain and pay for the bandwidth, so unless we the user pay to use the forum, we have to look at advertisements.

Also, if you are using Firefox, there is another tool that can help speed things up.

Disconnect, named one of the 100 best innovations of the year by Popular Science and one of the 20 best Firefox add-ons by Lifehacker, lets you visualize and block the otherwise invisible websites that track your search and browsing history.

put that one in your Addons....

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
monica,

I just looked and realized that I had all of my AdBlockers disabled.... that happens when I have to use my banking websites, and Amazon.com

I just turned ON,
AdBlocker in Firefox Addons
Disconnect in Firefox Addons,

and AdFender which works in the PC's firewall internet path. this one filters adverts before they even get to the browser.

AdFender, try it AdFender | Free Adblocker | Download Free Ad Blocking Software

After I re-enabled all 3 of those, the forum here is now loading a page in about 1.0 seconds, and no bouncing.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Is this happening to anyone else? (On my desktop computer) the AC website is doing a quick 1 second up/down movement and repeats every 6 seconds. It just goes up a tiny bit and back down. Scroll bar in the right isn't moving and it's not doing it on my phone.

Only happens to me when using my PC and Internet explorer. Opera works fine. Phone is fine.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Only happens to me when using my PC and Internet explorer. Opera works fine. Phone is fine.

yes, it is because of the way the PC browsers handle the advertiser's coding.

On your PC, just the simple install of AdFender will help you a lot.

I pity you using IE, that is my last resort in browsers.

Firefox first,
Chrome second,
IE last
and all the others, I gave up on long ago.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it was only on PC. I'm using the same browser (FF) and ad blocker (Ad Block Plus) that I've used for years. It started yesterday and ended last night with nothing (that I know of) changing. I wish I would have thought of opening it in IE to see how the page behaved but I don't open IE unless it's a matter of life or death.

AZ, were you not seeing ads on this page (and other pages) while your ad block program was NOT on?
I disabled Ad Block Plus just to see if that made any difference in the jumping episode last night. It didn't
but I had a (I think) Metro PCS ad at the top.

Going to go check out the Disconnect addon and read some reviews right now!

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yes, it is because of the way the PC browsers handle the advertiser's coding.

On your PC, just the simple install of AdFender will help you a lot.

I pity you using IE, that is my last resort in browsers.

Firefox first,
Chrome second,
IE last
and all the others, I gave up on long ago.

Yes same here.. I had just wiped my system and reloaded the OS and had not downloaded any others at that time. IE is my last resort especially with so many others out there.