Best android phones for seniors article

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I like these articles but I feel it's the same flagship phones each and every time.

There are ALOT of great phones for older people and lots under 300 with last year flagship specs, and lets be honest here. Any phone with 16gb storage 2gb ram mid range processor and average cameras and screen will do most people just fine.

Lets report on those.

The times of 700-800 dollar phones is over lets bring to light these better priced options.

Everyone would love a Lexus LS of some sort, but mainstream go for a Toyota corrolla for great value.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Well mate, I'm 62 and I have to disagree with the time is over comment. Society is getting more affluent, networks are doing deals that even the poor can afford on flagship devices....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would argue against glass phones on the article but not against flagships. Price isn't something I would have initially put as a demographic driver, that's interesting though. I think they did do a best budget phone post.

SlideWRX

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Based on the seniors I know, a flip phone is the best phone for them. They know how to use them already, and don't want to change. We bought my parents an iPad so they could easily take pictures of the grandkids and post/email them, but otherwise they don't use the capabilities of it or even a $200 phone. They *like* their flip phones. My wife's mom has an iPhone 4s to take pics of the grandkids, and she still only uses the phone for calling, texting, and picture/video mms. showed her GPS, app store and everything - no go. Grandpa is worse! Only uses iPhone 4s it for calling, and only when on trips out of state. He has proven to me that an iPhone can use only 5 MB (MEGAbytes) of data a month.

If you MUST get them a smartphone, get the cheapest Windows phone you can, and make four tiles as big as you can, with the text size cranked up:
Phone
Text
Camera
Email - maybe; most won't use this.

And another thing! (LOL my grumpy 'old' man is showing)
Anything with resolution better than 300 ppi is pointless. Eyes get worse as we age; we can't focus on things close up. Even if they started with vision better than 20/20, they can't hold it close enough to their eyes and still focus on it to see the difference.
Premium audio is useless too. Measurable age based hearing loss starts around age 30. By 70 there is a lot!

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Based on the seniors I know, a flip phone is the best phone for them. They know how to use them already, and don't want to change. We bought my parents an iPad so they could easily take pictures of the grandkids and post/email them, but otherwise they don't use the capabilities of it or even a $200 phone. They *like* their flip phones. My wife's mom has an iPhone 4s to take pics of the grandkids, and she still only uses the phone for calling, texting, and picture/video mms. showed her GPS, app store and everything - no go. Grandpa is worse! Only uses iPhone 4s it for calling, and only when on trips out of state. He has proven to me that an iPhone can use only 5 MB (MEGAbytes) of data a month.

If you MUST get them a smartphone, get the cheapest Windows phone you can, and make four tiles as big as you can, with the text size cranked up:
Phone
Text
Camera
Email - maybe; most won't use this.

And another thing! (LOL my grumpy 'old' man is showing)
Anything with resolution better than 300 ppi is pointless. Eyes get worse as we age; we can't focus on things close up. Even if they started with vision better than 20/20, they can't hold it close enough to their eyes and still focus on it to see the difference.
Premium audio is useless too. Measurable age based hearing loss starts around age 30. By 70 there is a lot!

Not sure how old the grandkids are, or your parents, BUT an expert tip, from me, and how we did it in my family, was to have the grandkids show grandma how to use the phone. (Granddad was ok, he had been a BlackBerry user for work prior to retirement and made the transition, he's on my old Priv and loves it). My 23 and 21 year old niece and nephew, and my 13 year old nephew are the ones who have really showed my mom how to use the phone. I can try to teach her, BUT she seems to get it when the kids show her especially my 23 year old niece, her first, and probably favorite. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress