pinkcamaro17

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Screen shot below of what leak I have. My battery dies too quickly should I just go back to gingerbread or try the latest leak also my husband has I guess its a nexus mod on his skyrocket any other things I can do with my phone concerning mods? Rooting? I just don't want my battery to die so quickly and I want to run something stable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You're still on the first leak. You definitely want to get off that one. It's buggy and battery life is worse than stock.

How comfortable are you with flashing custom roms and/or rooting? Sounds like the buggy first leak is the only rom you have experienced so far. It might be a good idea to go back to stock to get to know the phone as the manufacturer intended it to work.

[HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

From there, if you want more out of the phone, you can do more research to root and/or flash a custom rom. The stock rom is pretty fast and has decent battery life already. You might be happy enough w/o having to take the risk to hack your phone.

pinkcamaro17

May 13, 2012
Visit site
You're still on the first leak. You definitely want to get off that one. It's buggy and battery life is worse than stock.

How comfortable are you with flashing custom roms and/or rooting? Sounds like the buggy first leak is the only rom you have experienced so far. It might be a good idea to go back to stock to get to know the phone as the manufacturer intended it to work.

[HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

From there, if you want more out of the phone, you can do more research to root and/or flash a custom rom. The stock rom is pretty fast and has decent battery life already. You might be happy enough w/o having to take the risk to hack your phone.

I'm not comfortable at all with doing it myself and I don't want to pay someone to do it either. I'm thinking of going back to stock which is what I'll probably do but how easy is it to brick your phone doing that? And quite honestly I have no idea what roms, mods and flashing are. I want to get more familiar with it because I don't plan on going back to apple. I like the bigger screen and customization too much so i would like to learn more about these things.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure you follow the instructions in the link jedah gave you. do EXACTLY as it says there and you'll be fine. This will get you back to stock. Once you are on the stock rom you should be able to receive official AT&T updates in the future.

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am running the nexus mod on my skyrocket and LOVE it. Battery life is better than stock software and no ATT bloat. Since your husband is running it on his rocket, get him to flash it for you.

pinkcamaro17

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Just make sure you follow the instructions in the link jedah gave you. do EXACTLY as it says there and you'll be fine. This will get you back to stock. Once you are on the stock rom you should be able to receive official AT&T updates in the future.

So if your not on stock you won't receive updates?

pinkcamaro17

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I am running the nexus mod on my skyrocket and LOVE it. Battery life is better than stock software and no ATT bloat. Since your husband is running it on his rocket, get him to flash it for you.

His looks pretty badass with the nexus mod but he didn't do it himself or I def would have him do it.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So if your not on stock you won't receive updates?

I received a 2.3.6 update okay when I was rooted not long after the launch of the phone (non UCLA3). But, I wouldn't bank on that if I were you. For the most part, I think you have to be stock and not rooted to receive OTA updates.

wilbarger

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is a link to the how to install that I used. It was a pretty simple procedure and as always, do at your own risk. It worked great for me and as I stated earlier, I can not believe how much better my battery life is.

New ICS NexusMod ROM on AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket: Tutorial : Tips for Technology

By the way, it says that you need UCALC4, but I am running I727UCLE2 from an earlier version of ICS 4.0.4 that I did not like as it had all the ATT bloatware on it.

Good luck and let me know if you like the software and how successful you were with the install.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is a link to the how to install that I used. It was a pretty simple procedure and as always, do at your own risk. It worked great for me and as I stated earlier, I can not believe how much better my battery life is.

New ICS NexusMod ROM on AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket: Tutorial : Tips for Technology

By the way, it says that you need UCALC4, but I am running I727UCLE2 from an earlier version of ICS 4.0.4 that I did not like as it had all the ATT bloatware on it.

Good luck and let me know if you like the software and how successful you were with the install.

Good instructions, but I would probably not choose NexusMod for ICS. The developer, Mod1441, does excellent work. His NexusMod rom for Gingerbread was my daily driver before all the ICS leaks started. But he himself said he was waiting for the official release and has stopped development on that rom until then. If you want to use an ICS rom, you can follow those instructions, but choose a different one that uses UCLE2.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I've pretty much tried em all and Sky ICS is probably the best ICS rom out there besides the CM9 alpha. Great battery life and smooth as hell. If you want the Nexus look just download Apex launcher from the play store cuz everything else in the rom is themed ICS blue.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I've pretty much tried em all and Sky ICS is probably the best ICS rom out there besides the CM9 alpha. Great battery life and smooth as hell. If you want the Nexus look just download Apex launcher from the play store cuz everything else in the rom is themed ICS blue.
What's the average battery life you get with sky ics and with how many hours of screen time? And how's the radio on it.
Thanks

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What's the average battery life you get with sky ics and with how many hours of screen time? And how's the radio on it.
Thanks

I was using Sky ICS 4.2E-6 for awhile, and with Wifi and decent phone reception, hourly drainage was about -1%/hr on standby (sometimes less sometimes more). However, in my office where phone AND wifi reception are terrible, it drains anywhere from -11 to -20%/hr on standby. So, it lasts about 14 hours for me on the weekdays going from work w/ poor reception, to home w/ good reception and Wifi. Screen on time is usually less than 2 hours.

I also suspect Kik Messenger is draining alot of battery, so I will probably uninstall that soon to see what happens. I really like it, but it seems to wake up the phone alot.

I'm on the latest update right now (11), but have not had enough time with it to comment.

Reactions: dalvik

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you jedah. It looks like you are getting exactly same results as I get on UCLE2 AT&T leak. So as I understand there is really no need for me to jump to another rom at this point. I've also rooted and froze all bloatware. Idk if that helps with the battery, however I wasn't able to successfully bypass the tethering restrictions by freezing the tetheringmanager.apk. For some reason it doesn't work, and crashes every time I try to activate tethering. So I'm still using FoxFi at this point...

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you jedah. It looks like you are getting exactly same results as I get on UCLE2 AT&T leak. So as I understand there is really no need for me to jump to another rom at this point. I've also rooted and froze all bloatware. Idk if that helps with the battery, however I wasn't able to successfully bypass the tethering restrictions by freezing the tetheringmanager.apk. For some reason it doesn't work, and crashes every time I try to activate tethering. So I'm still using FoxFi at this point...

Did the leak come w/ an app called Ultracfg? If so, there should be an option to turn tethering on. Tethering works just fine w/ Sky ICS.

pinkcamaro17

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks you guys. You have definitely provided me with a lot of information. I traded out my black SR for a white one so I'm back on stock so I guess I can start fresh from there. I do like ICS but I like the nexus look. How exactly.do you use launchers? What about the go launcher anyone have that?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

I get roughly 18-20 hours on this rom with at least a couple hours of screen time...I like playing games lol. The radios are much better than the previous leak. I have crappy service at my house anyways but wifi range is alot better.

Thanks you guys. You have definitely provided me with a lot of information. I traded out my black SR for a white one so I'm back on stock so I guess I can start fresh from there. I do like ICS but I like the nexus look. How exactly.do you use launchers? What about the go launcher anyone have that?

You just install the launcher and it replaces the home screen and the row of icons on the bottom. Most launchers allow you change the icons or the order of icons how you see fit. Go launcher is pretty good but I'm not a big fan of the looks of it. Ever since I got ICS and Apex launcher I could never go back to go launcher :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You just install the launcher and it replaces the home screen and the row of icons on the bottom. Most launchers allow you change the icons or the order of icons how you see fit. Go launcher is pretty good but I'm not a big fan of the looks of it. Ever since I got ICS and Apex launcher I could never go back to go launcher :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

What Ronnie said. A launcher also replaces the app drawer. Go Launcher is very good. Among free launchers, it's probably the most fully featured. For me, I used ADW EX because it was alittle smoother for me.

Apex is also my launcher of choice now, but unfortunately that's only on ICS. The free version does everything I need, but I'll probably pony up for the pro version just to show some support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61