Epic on sale soon?

tgaskill

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine is looking at getting an Epic, but he's not sure how long he should wait to get a good deal. Having reached EOL, I'm guessing we'll start seeing reduced prices on the Epic, but I'm wondering if anyone (aka any Sprint insider :D) knows how long he should wait. Unfortunately he wasn't eligible for upgrade when Walmart had them on sale in June, but he's really looking to move from BlackBerry to Android.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think sprint will drop the price too much. If they do drop it there will be no warning. I would keep an eye on best buy, radio shack, and online retailers. They sometimes drop the price right before a new phone(Epic2) is phased in. Just keep your ear to the floor.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's averaging $99 right now. I don't think It'll go much lower, unless a 3rd party retailer decides they want to get rid of 'em quick (Like BB did a couple months ago with a promotion that brought it to free for a few days [Score!!]). Sprint won't likely tank the price right before a new model is released, they would rather get someone into a newer device which is easier when the price for the new one isn't much more than the price of the old model. For what it is, the Epic still has better specs than a lot of the new phones being released, it's just not on the high end of what's available anymore. And it's got plenty of life left in it with GB 2.3.4 in the works and hopefully released soon.

tgaskill

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Walmart is selling the Epic for $45 with a contact extension. That's not a bad price, really. I should try to talk him into getting it while they've got it on sale.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's averaging $99 right now. I don't think It'll go much lower, unless a 3rd party retailer decides they want to get rid of 'em quick (Like BB did a couple months ago with a promotion that brought it to free for a few days [Score!!]). Sprint won't likely tank the price right before a new model is released, they would rather get someone into a newer device which is easier when the price for the new one isn't much more than the price of the old model. For what it is, the Epic still has better specs than a lot of the new phones being released, it's just not on the high end of what's available anymore. And it's got plenty of life left in it with GB 2.3.4 in the works and hopefully released soon.

I have already the Gingerbread EG22 leak 2.3.4. Gingerbread is faster than 2.2 froyo.

Last edited:

tgaskill

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Walmart will be selling the Epic 4G for $18.88 this week, according to the Walmart Wireless insert in my Sunday paper. My friend is glad he held out for a lower price.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude just forget about the Epic and tell your friend to spend the extra money for a Epic Touch 4Gb it's way better than the Epic and at $ 200 he would pay $ 50 less than what I paid for the Epic a year ago. Better phone and newer technology for less the price.

tgaskill

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Dude just forget about the Epic and tell your friend to spend the extra money for a Epic Touch 4Gb it's way better than the Epic and at $ 200 he would pay $ 50 less than what I paid for the Epic a year ago. Better phone and newer technology for less the price.

There are a few problems with this. 1.) He's not an early adopter. He wants something that has proven itself to be a workhorse. 2.) He insists on having a physical keyboard. He runs a news website, and does a lot of typing on the go. He says he won't use a full touchscreen phone as his main device. 3.) He's not eligible for his upgrade, so the Epic 4G Touch would be quite pricey.

I, on the other hand, am an early adopter who doesn't need a physical keyboard, so I plan on getting the E4T on launch day. ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The Epic 4g is still a very capable device. Even with its life span coming to and end it will still be rockin in the hands of many for months and months to come. Aside from a few issues which you will find with any device it was a great phone for the 9 months I ran it.

If your friend is looking for the physical KB then the Epic is a great choice. I think he will enjoy it for the time frame he uses it until he is ready to upgrade to one of the newer devices.

backbeat

Banned
Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It looks like Walmart will be selling the Epic 4G for $18.88 this week, according to the Walmart Wireless insert in my Sunday paper. My friend is glad he held out for a lower price.

Details? After-rebate? In-store only? Any further info would be appreciated as the online price is still $119.99 as of today.