[GUIDE] Hate Gingerbread? Want to return to Froyo...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the title says it all....

Don't like Gingerbread now that you've been running it for a while... There is one option and one option only to return to Froyo that I can help with. Otherwise I have heard of a few people going into Sprint and complaining and Sprint ordering a refurb replacement in hopes that it will ship with Froyo but that is no promise.

[WARN]Warning this will reset your device to factory stock. You will loose all you data, settings, etc... Things on your sdcard like pictures, music, videos will remain untouched. Your contacts/phone/calendar are linked to your Gmail account associated with the phone so you will get them back. [/WARN]

Go to the following thread and use procedure #1. Follow the instructions exactly and you should come out on Froyo when completed.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)
[TIP]
If for some reason you get stuck using procedure #1 where it won't complete the flash, then try procedure #2 which is Froyo EB13 and then from there you will receive the OTA to EC05 not long after booting into Froyo EB13 the first time.
[/TIP]

Thats it... Problems... Questions... Please post them in the thread I directed you to.

Thanks.

Paul.

Reactions: werkx and jmuru

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You know, I think before even trying this, people should just do a factory reset to wipe their phone first since this method will wipe it anyway. A cleaned phone on GB should function well until people start installing apps, right?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just putting out the option since I am starting to see more and more frustrated users with the official GB update looking for a way to go back to Froyo.

Users experiences may vary, just as they did on Froyo and Eclair.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No, no, I'm not saying what you did was unnecessary. Just saying that for people willing to take the step of going back to Froyo because their updated GB has somehow made their device unusable or worse. If they have not factory reset to wipe their phone clean, they should try that first. Give it a few days before reapplying Froyo.

I've read where you've advised many in other threads to do the same with success.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I agree. This was also suggested with Froyo EB13/EC05 to do a factory reset with those not having a good experience (lag, fc's, other problems). For some it fixed the issues and others it didn't. So yes I would try the factory reset first before making the final decision to do the flash back to Froyo.

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I was a little confused by this thread, I absolutely love GB on the Epic. My battery life is easily twice as good as before, browser renders and loads pages faster, memory card seems to read faster(how i don't understand due to read speeds), and as I mentioned in a previous post, my signal is quite stable now and little better to boot.
In the word of McDeezees, I'm lovin it

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
lol why would you want to go back to that piece of crap build of Froyo anyways? Even if you are having problems with Gingerbread, they can't be as bad as EC05. In my opinion, i am 100% satisfied with the update. Everything is faster, especially web browsing and a couple of other enhancements.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
lol why would you want to go back to that piece of crap build of Froyo anyways? Even if you are having problems with Gingerbread, they can't be as bad as EC05. In my opinion, i am 100% satisfied with the update. Everything is faster, especially web browsing and a couple of other enhancements.

Count your blessings. A ridiculous number of people are having major GB problems. My phone is borderline unusable.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING is better in Gingerbread. But I can think of a ton of things that GB made worse. Everything from wifi reception to GPS functionality and a million things in between.For me GB is a catostrophic failure. I'd go back to Froyo in a heartbeat if it didn't require the nuclear option. But if I can't find a way to fix things I'll gladly take a step back to Froyo where I had very few problems in comparison.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Count your blessings. A ridiculous number of people are having major GB problems. My phone is borderline unusable.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING is better in Gingerbread. But I can think of a ton of things that GB made worse. Everything from wifi reception to GPS functionality and a million things in between.For me GB is a catostrophic failure. I'd go back to Froyo in a heartbeat if it didn't require the nuclear option. But if I can't find a way to fix things I'll gladly take a step back to Froyo where I had very few problems in comparison.

Your not everyone. While I understand your frustration, most have had pretty hood luck with this upgrade. While I know only 7 people (personally) that own epics all of them have had good luck with both upgrades (eclair to froyo and froyo to gingerbread).

It is very possible your download was corrupted. If so, no amount of resetting is going to help without getting rid of the corrupted file and getting replacement file. While many have a few gripes, very few have had as many issues you've had. If I were you I would demand a new phone.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I never said I was everyone. You aren't everyone either.

Have you looked at the GB bug thread? All kinds of issues. It seems like no aspect of GB has been unaffected by some kind of bug. This is far from what I'd consider a stable release. For me Froyo was much more stable. Even if I didn't have these issues, I fail to see what makes GB better. The fact that you can't silence the camera shutter sound is almost reason enough to roll back.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
OTA updates are unreliable at best. Packets get lost and files corrupted. It's always best to install updates with a known good file via an sd card. It is also better to load updates on a clean new os while that is not always practical it is the best way and has the least chance for errors.

You don't like the shutter sound. In every upgrade there are always changes. Some you like and some you don't. Many of the changes made to win7 I hate but many I like. Everyone is not going to happy. You have the option to go back to froyo.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about the bugs people are experiencing in GB and if they're still there after a fresh installation or on custom ROMS? Or, if these are only on phones with the OTA update, cause if that's the case, it definitely sounds like a corrupted update file.

As for me, I'm on GB and couldn't be happier :)

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
If I had problems directly after the GB update, I would either try a custom ROM or go to a Sprint store and ask them to flash GB again. If that doesn't fix the problems you're experiencing, I would ask for a new phone.

That being said I had no issues with stock GB and only a few minor glitches with the various versions of ACS ICS so I would say that the GB release is not the problem. After flashing more ROMs than I can remember I have, on many occasions, had to re-flash the ROM one or more times to fix problems.

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How do I disable the update notification after a downgrade? it's been notifying over and over even though she's dismissed it

Sent from my GTablet using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez