Does the Epic 4G have a front facing camera?

Droidcola

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This is starting to confuse me.

On Samsung's promo video on YouTube they clearly list that there is a Front Facing Camera on this phone. On the website for Galaxy S, they don't list a front facing in the Specs (although I don't think they even list which Galaxy S they're displaying). In this section of the Forum, I can't see anyone talking about a Front Facing Camera. In the gallery pictures of the phone, it appears to have a front facing camera.

What is going on here? Does the Sprint Epic 4G have a Front Facing Camera? :eek:

Droidcola

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I went to Engadget and found the official press release which stated that it does have a front facing.

• Dual camera: 5 MP camera/camcorder with autofocus, Power LED flash and 3x digital zoom for HD video3 (720p) video recording and front facing VGA camera for video chat and more

Last edited:

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The only Galaxy S phones to have a front facing camera are the Epic 4G and the original Galaxy S i9000 model released in Europe. I'm guessing TMo, VZW and ATT all opted out of including a ffc to limit network congestion of such apps that could take advantage of it.

Droidcola

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, Philly! Good to see you doing what you love now, man. This is Mike (from AdPro)

The only Galaxy S phones to have a front facing camera are the Epic 4G and the original Galaxy S i9000 model released in Europe. I'm guessing TMo, VZW and ATT all opted out of including a ffc to limit network congestion of such apps that could take advantage of it.

I see.

Well, overall front facing cameras are important for those in long distance relationships or those who are away from their families a lot for business. I don't see why half the videos on YouTube that are giving a demo of the Epic don't mention the Front Facing.

Very important feature (in my opinion) for the people looking to video chat on non-Apple, Android phones.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, part of the reason is Skype not having an official app available for Sprint customers, Fring losing Skype support and I've never used Qik video chat, but I hear it isn't great. I am one of those unfortunate people in a long distant relationship. We met in college, but both of us just graduated and while we waited to take our exams and find jobs, we went back to our respective home towns. Right now, the phone is sufficing, cause I make frequent trips to see her, but I'd love to just video chat on the go. We can use Skype at our computers, but I have crappy wifi in the living room, which is where i like to stay. I hope Qik is better than what I've read, and I can't wait for this phone's release regardless.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
You can still use fring for fring to fring video calls. it's basically limited to between phones so blah with that. it's basically like qik. The skype ability gave users access to phone to pc two way video chat.

I think qik can do this aswell , but you need to plunk down the 4.99 a month for the premium service. Qik "basic" can stream video from the phone to a pc, but it's not two way....

I do hope fring makes nice with skype!

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Philly! Good to see you doing what you love now, man. This is Mike (from AdPro)

I see.

Well, overall front facing cameras are important for those in long distance relationships or those who are away from their families a lot for business. I don't see why half the videos on YouTube that are giving a demo of the Epic don't mention the Front Facing.

Very important feature (in my opinion) for the people looking to video chat on non-Apple, Android phones.

I too am in a long distance relationship and having video chat (including to a pc) would be great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa