Epic really does movies..umm. EPIC!

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a rather basic question- if I want to avoid transcoding movies how do I watch a file that is larger than 4gigs on my epic 4g? for example some large 720p mkv files- from what I understand the sd card is fat32 so it will not support files that large- I was hoping I would not have to trans-code any files due to the multiple file support

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a rather basic question- if I want to avoid transcoding movies how do I watch a file that is larger than 4gigs on my epic 4g? for example some large 720p mkv files- from what I understand the sd card is fat32 so it will not support files that large- I was hoping I would not have to trans-code any files due to the multiple file support

Jimmy, it isn't just the file limit, chances are that up above 4g you are going to see bitrates that may actually choke the epic causing stutter.

would use handbrake or better yet ripbot264. you can que encode overnight which on a decent computer means you can que up four to ten 720 or 1080 films and get top quality results at about 1.5 gb per file. One you do it a couple of times it is a no brainer and easy. they only thing I change is some cropping of sides for 2.35:1 content

for playback I hear rockplayer has soft subtitle support ( I am going to try it later today) whihc is good since if you have ear-buds handy you can skip it but if you dont have earbuds handy you can keep volume reasonably and get an assist from substitles.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure your issue ithe Fat32 format of the SD card. It has a 4gig per file hard limit. There may be an app that can quickly 'split' a video, not sure, otherwise you have to transcode unfortunately.

I use Allok Video converter as its the fastest and has tons of options including getting a perfect 800x480 output. Just tried it on Avatar since I saw all the demos and unfortunately it didn't ship with Sprint.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Play this movie on the Epic.. freakin' shows off the AMOLED like none other! The dark blacks and the bright colors!.. No LCD can emulate this viewing experience. That first shot of the chicago city light looks awesome on this screen.

Destello on Vimeo

Cel

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

This was my question... Anyone tried reformatting the card to NTFS to see if it works? On my xbox I need to use the mac file system to get an external drive read (forget what it's called, I'm not a mac guy...)

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This was my question... Anyone tried reformatting the card to NTFS to see if it works? On my xbox I need to use the mac file system to get an external drive read (forget what it's called, I'm not a mac guy...)

My guess it that you would have to partition the SD card and format one partition so that it could handle large file sizes- ntfs, ext3 and then probably find a hacked kernel that would allow you access this partition

here is an easy way out? How to Split MKV Files | eHow.com I will try it tonight

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
By the way I am using the latest version of mvideoplayer, free on market. It has many mroe options than the native player and handles most subtitles, either inside MKV containers or as separate .srt and most other formats easily. I was burning in subtitles but with mvideoplayer I no longer have to.

cary328is

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why the streaming movies on iphonemoviez doesn't work with Epic? My Evo buddy is rubbing my face in this. They're xvid .mp4 or at least some of them are.

Pretty sad when iphone can play something the epic can't.

Wait for FROYO on Epic. I have both the EVO and Epic. Epic is supposed to get froyo end of september (rumored). It should be able to play iPhonemoviez then. I wasn't able to use iphonemoviez on my EVO before it was updated to Froyo.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Movies do look amazing!!!!!!

for some reason I cant stream .mp4 files from internet? anyone else getting this problem? Also Allshare cant seem to play video files, but it can play photos and mp3s just fine. I tried playing a .avi through allshare and it says "sorry this video cannot be played" I tried with various formats all the same result. Also i am using ps3 media server as the server for my pc.

Another thing, When i try to play use the Epic as teh server, my ps3 cannot play the videos but views the images and mp3s just fine. Anything im missing?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non