Sprint Update to Froyo Canceled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone never made it to froyo. Sprint and Samsung just pulled the update until some issues are worked out.

Sent from my Epic using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Wonder how this effects the ones that already have installed it wither manually or OTA?

My guess would be if they change the version number it would be pushed no problem. If not, you have to manually update or take it to a sprint service center.

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Now THIS is funny...

I can't say I'm surprised, although my update seems to be working 95% correctly and I haven't seen either of these two major issues they are talking about. I'm curious to see how this shakes out, although I could easily see this taking months. :p

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't touch the manual update. I'm not waiting on them to fix this anymore and am going to gain total control over my epic. I'm looking at you XDA! Be my guide.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I still don't really understand. Do these issues pop up randomly, or are they evident from the start?

In other words, if I haven't seen them by now, will I ever?

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My phone never made it to froyo. Sprint and Samsung just pulled the update until some issues are worked out.

Well I pulled the trigger last night and upgraded to EB13 via update.zip and for what it is worth, I wish I hadn't upgraded - at least on how I use my phone. The upgrade went fine and with a little tweaking everything works as perfect as can be except in no particular order:

1) display rotation is slow when in an app - approx 3 sec lag which can be fixed via terminal emulator - it can be fixed via calibration using Terminal Emulator from the Market Place, and you must have root, I used one click root v2.5.5 - it now works as it should! :D

2) Gallery is very slow to display, but quickens up if you load it one time in the cache, but if you reboot or change batteries (you are essentially rebooting when you do that) - it is painfully slow again - - it can be fixed via calibration using Terminal Emulator from the Market Place, and you must have root, I used one click root v2.5.5 - it now works as it should! :D

3) overall system speed in my epic is about the same - my 2.1 tweaked with LP was very quick.

4a) froyo really hosed the camera action shot function as in it doesn't work - it can be fixed via calibration using Terminal Emulator from the Market Place, and you must have root, I used one click root v2.5.5 - it now works as it should! Although I didn't know that this would fix it, but it did for me. :D

4b) video recording works, but recording is bad in low light, although you do have a nice keep led on when video recording, but I would say it terrible overall compared to eclaire 2.1 - calibration using Terminal Emulator from the Market Place, and you must have root, I used one click root v2.5.5 - did not help this problem. :'(

5) my battery life has always been good in 2.1, so I am not sure if the battery life is going to be better or worse in 2.2.1, so far it seems as good as 2.1 - seems to be better! :D

6) you can't root and unroot using z4root anymore - I am not sure if you root via "one click root" if you can simply un-root and if you do un-root will it wipe all your settings and bring you back to stock? If so, I see that as a major disadvantage! - well I used one click root v2.5.5 - I am rooted again! :D

7) you do get a nice feature of moving apps to card, but with over a hundred apps I had and all working perfectly, I still had 165mb left, so I was ok

8) my gps is no better or worse, with the exception that I no longer have a hard coded 30m/98.4ft bug - my gps was always good in locking a signal quickly - only thing good is now I can see the how close I am to being on the spot in feet rather than always seeing 30m/98.4ft

9) the new messaging app sucks imho, because if you or someone types a you a message over 140 characters? forgot the actual limit, then rather being able to see the remaing part right below, you have to click the more button to see the remaining part of it - one more click, one more lag! :(

10) fring needs an update because it is semi screwed up in froyo - but Qik now works real well now! :D

11) my SWIftp possibly needs an update because that totaly errors out in froyo :'(

12) Shootme screen capture doesn't work now either! - I used one click root v2.5.5 - it now works as it should! :D

Now I know I can go back to eclaire 2.1, but if I do , I have to spend hours tweaking my settings again, which isn't that enjoyable unless you just like fiddleling with your phone/mini computer all of the time. Me, once I have tweaked it, granted I might tweak a little more here and there, I like to use my phone/mini computer to do the things I enjoy, I mean why buy a car if you are always working on it but never drive it?

With the improvement fixes that I got via calibration using Terminal Emulator from the Market Place, and you must have root, I used one click root v2.5.5 - it now works as it should! :D I will now stay on froyo 2.2.1 as most everything that I need is fixed to my satisfaction.

Bottom line for me, it took a lot of fiddleling after the upgrade, but now it is one step closer to how my eclaire 2.1 was; tweaked and nice but with a few extra nice touches from froyo and root - I am finally happy with the upgrade - too bad it took so much fiddling to make it right. :'(

Whew, I usually never rant this long, but maybe this will help those that are on the fence on upgrading. The above statements are only my opinion - good luck to all in your descison - maybe it is not all bad :-\

Last edited:

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i have had no issues with my manual update. maybe i got lucky.

i will agree the new sms sucks so bad, somebody at google should be fired for it

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So theres something wrong with EB13?

They pulled it from the web and OTA. Ive heard of all the problems, but what about the people who dont have problems with EB13? Should i uninstall it?

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
They pulled it from the web and OTA. Ive heard of all the problems, but what about the people who dont have problems with EB13? Should i uninstall it?

I dont see any reason too, enjoy some of the new features. A lot of us ran froyo for months before this official update and while I can't believe most all of the bugs from that early froyo release are still here, I don't see anything that would make your phone not function if it's currently working at a reasonable level.

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys use the windows or mac installer? I have both and was wondering maybe one seems to work better possibly? Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.