Why is everyone excited about this phone? Do you have an EPIC?

unplugged

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why is everyone excited about this phone? Do you have an EPI

I am reluctant to go with Samsung, but I have heard that the Galaxy S II is a very impressive phone. I don't really care for the Evo 3D because the 3D isn't what I want on a phone and the rest is not that impressive. I don't like the Moto Photon because of the Moto Blur and the other than dual core, it's not that unique.

I guess I can't expect something as groundbreaking as my Evo 4G was when it came out last June. But I would like to see the screen on the Sammy.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site

yes, I have an Epic and I can't wait for this phone to come out.

Toyman317

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't the GS2 also have HDMI out. If so, that is another huge difference. Also, there is a video on Youtube where they compare the GS2 GPS to one of the newer high end HTCs. The HTC got its ass handed to it.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand how some people hate their GPS on their Epic's. What app are they using?!?! I use googles GPS, the one called navigation, NOT sprints. It works FLAWLESSLY for me! Then again, I suppose the GPS's on epics were hit and miss if I recall correctly.

trojandrew

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

Sorry for the long post but I am dying to get this off my chest. If you're curious to hear advise regarding the Within from someone who deals with Sprint products day in and day out for the last 3 years then read on.

As a Sprint rep I *completely* agree with the OP.

The fault of Samsung's Android update cycle falls squarely on the shoulders of their godawful Touch Wiz interface. How can you say Sprint is to blame when the HTC EVO 4G (on Sprint) was the first non-Nexus phone to receive 2.2? And now of course the HTC lineup is on 2.3 and I STILL see customers coming in with issues over the bugginess of Samsung's 2.2 update.

As a salesperson who a) wants to serve his customers and b) doesn't want to deal with months of tech support headache I can not look a customer in the eyes and offer any confidence whatsoever in a non-Nexus Samsung Android phone.

Allow me to recap the biggest Samsung Android fail of all: the Moment, Intercept, Transform nightmare. I know these are completely different phones but I believe it's relevant to the broader discussion. The Moment was a bug ridden, slow mess of a phone, updates required plugging in and hard resetting, and I've seen some customers go through 4 or more of these via in store and / or warranty exchange. When software / firmware updates couldn't solve that disaster, what was Samsung's solution? Screw their current customers and pull the wool over a whole new batch of victims.

Enter the Intercept, another slow mess of a phone, full of bugs, horrible hardware buttons, terrible touch screen... here we go again. Solution? Release the Transform. Who knows the full extent of how good or bad that phone is; we intentionally tried not to sell it. Why? Samsung had already stabbed two waves of my valued customers in the back, and I was determined to prevent a third.

The Epic was just a capstone on the whole mess. Fine phone and all, but stringing customers out over 6 months on a promised update to an ALREADY older version of Android was the frosting on the cake. Not to mention the constant stream of Epic owners who I had to do hard resets on to clear the bugs of the Froyo update.

Is the Within going to be an awesome phone when it's released. OF COURSE. It will have Gingerbread, smoking fast specs, and that gorgeous Super AMOLED screen we all know and love. Reviewers love Samsung's brand new little darlings, but that's because they're not stuck with them for 12-22 months like the average contract toting customer. They don't re-release a review 8 months down the road when it still hasn't been updated, or the update is plagued with bugs. Sure they'll release a little blog blip about it, but that doesn't help the guy who still has 6-18 months on his contract with the Within.

With three other monster phones in the Sprint lineup, the Nexus S 4G (naked Android > hotter specs bogged down by OEM crapware), EVO 3D, and Photon 4G, I certainly won't point to the Within if a customer asks me. I won't say I told you so... but I told you so.

My advice? Wait for the Nexus based on the SII hardware.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site

Trojandrew: That is what Cyanogenmod is for!!

Im sure the majority of people who go into the sprint store to pick up a phone arent the kind of people comfortable with rooting their phone and installing custom roms, and might not even want to anyways, they just want a phone the "works" without them having to fix it themselves...

I myself havent had a stock phone since the sprint hero was rooted though, and I dont plan on keeping one stock ever again either.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Im sure the majority of people who go into the sprint store to pick up a phone arent the kind of people comfortable with rooting their phone and installing custom roms, and might not even want to anyways, they just want a phone the "works" without them having to fix it themselves...

I myself havent had a stock phone since the sprint hero was rooted though, and I dont plan on keeping one stock ever again either.

Point taken but to add on to that 97 percent of all people don't even know an update exist for their phone so the other 3 percent need to learn how to root or quit whining. I'm not worried at all about Samsung updating, if others are on the fence they should stick with the inferior hardware of HTC's EVO3d.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Cyanogen mod is not available for epic...probably never will be. I really want a nexus based on galaxy s2 specs with at least 5gb of internal app storage and I'd prefer a 4.5" screen to 4.3. Probably never happen.

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

Cyanogen mod is not available for epic...probably never will be. I really want a nexus based on galaxy s2 specs with at least 5gb of internal app storage and I'd prefer a 4.5" screen to 4.3. Probably never happen.

CM7 is now available for the Epic but it's in Alpha Stages.

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

It's been alpha for quite some time I remember. And from the looks of this, there's no one working on a current build for epic.

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

No, it hasn't. There have been people raging on multiple boards calling the CM team "lazy" and asking why they didn't make CM7 for the Epic since it's a Galaxy S phone. This caused a huge backlash by one of the major Cyanogenmod developers xda-developers - View Single Post - :: sigh :: It barely came out with alpha a few days ago and it already hit "beta" in a few days." [ROM] CM7 4 Epic | Beta (Now with more phone) - xda-developers

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

No, it hasn't. There have been people raging on multiple boards calling the CM team "lazy" and asking why they didn't make CM7 for the Epic since it's a Galaxy S phone. This caused a huge backlash by one of the major Cyanogenmod developers xda-developers - View Single Post - :: sigh :: It barely came out with alpha a few days ago and it already hit "beta" in a few days." [ROM] CM7 4 Epic | Beta (Now with more phone) - xda-developers

Yeah a lot of people made the Epic users look bad when they kept on asking for the ETAs and complaining about something that a person does for free.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Sorry for the long post but I am dying to get this off my chest. If you're curious to hear advise regarding the Within from someone who deals with Sprint products day in and day out for the last 3 years then read on.

As a Sprint rep I *completely* agree with the OP.

The fault of Samsung's Android update cycle falls squarely on the shoulders of their godawful Touch Wiz interface. How can you say Sprint is to blame when the HTC EVO 4G (on Sprint) was the first non-Nexus phone to receive 2.2? And now of course the HTC lineup is on 2.3 and I STILL see customers coming in with issues over the bugginess of Samsung's 2.2 update.

As a salesperson who a) wants to serve his customers and b) doesn't want to deal with months of tech support headache I can not look a customer in the eyes and offer any confidence whatsoever in a non-Nexus Samsung Android phone.

Allow me to recap the biggest Samsung Android fail of all: the Moment, Intercept, Transform nightmare. I know these are completely different phones but I believe it's relevant to the broader discussion. The Moment was a bug ridden, slow mess of a phone, updates required plugging in and hard resetting, and I've seen some customers go through 4 or more of these via in store and / or warranty exchange. When software / firmware updates couldn't solve that disaster, what was Samsung's solution? Screw their current customers and pull the wool over a whole new batch of victims.

Enter the Intercept, another slow mess of a phone, full of bugs, horrible hardware buttons, terrible touch screen... here we go again. Solution? Release the Transform. Who knows the full extent of how good or bad that phone is; we intentionally tried not to sell it. Why? Samsung had already stabbed two waves of my valued customers in the back, and I was determined to prevent a third.

The Epic was just a capstone on the whole mess. Fine phone and all, but stringing customers out over 6 months on a promised update to an ALREADY older version of Android was the frosting on the cake. Not to mention the constant stream of Epic owners who I had to do hard resets on to clear the bugs of the Froyo update.

Is the Within going to be an awesome phone when it's released. OF COURSE. It will have Gingerbread, smoking fast specs, and that gorgeous Super AMOLED screen we all know and love. Reviewers love Samsung's brand new little darlings, but that's because they're not stuck with them for 12-22 months like the average contract toting customer. They don't re-release a review 8 months down the road when it still hasn't been updated, or the update is plagued with bugs. Sure they'll release a little blog blip about it, but that doesn't help the guy who still has 6-18 months on his contract with the Within.

With three other monster phones in the Sprint lineup, the Nexus S 4G (naked Android > hotter specs bogged down by OEM crapware), EVO 3D, and Photon 4G, I certainly won't point to the Within if a customer asks me. I won't say I told you so... but I told you so.

My advice? Wait for the Nexus based on the SII hardware.

Sorry for the rant.

Great summation as I share many of your sentiments. I am an Epic owner, and I will wait until Samsung starts a trend of rolling out updates timely and efficiently before I buy another Samsung. HTC, Motorola, and others don't seem to have this problem. There is no reason to take a chance on them again without proof that they have changed the way they support their products. By the way, there were rumors the GB update for the Epic would roll out at the end of July. Seems to be a familiar pattern.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Great summation as I share many of your sentiments. I am an Epic owner, and I will wait until Samsung starts a trend of rolling out updates timely and efficiently before I buy another Samsung. HTC, Motorola, and others don't seem to have this problem. There is no reason to take a chance on them again without proof that they have changed the way they support their products. By the way, there were rumors the GB update for the Epic would roll out at the end of July. Seems to be a familiar pattern.

For me, I'm not the kind of person that is loyal to brands. Honestly, I will just get whichever phone is the best on the market, regardless of who makes it. Although, so far, the 2 android phones that I owned were coincidentally both made by Samsung (The Moment and the Epic that I have right now). The moment decieved me with its 800mhz processor that didn't quite live up to what it was supposed to be haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty