Pentile vs. Super AMOLED Plus Discussion

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There are a lot off threads debating the Pentile vs. Samsung Super AMOLED Plus screens. Many of them get closed because people can't control themselves and start flaming each other because an opinion differs from theirs. So, this threads is open for business. Ground rules:

Debates and sharing technical wisdom on this topic is encouraged.
No Trolling
No Flaming
No Personal Attacks
No Name Calling

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Well just to chime in, I am a ISF hdtv calibrator and there are 5 things that make up great picture quality. Guess what the last one is.... you guessed it resolution. Resolution is the least important aspect of a picture. So to bump the samoled+ to qhd would be a welcome addition but I have compared my current EVO to the photon. Yes the photon has smaller pixels but the evo screen is still superior to the pentile of the photon. It does not bother everyone, if it doesnt awesome, buy what makes you happy. To someone like myself that has a business of making the best picture out of displays the pentile sucks big time. I wanted to buy the photon for my wife because she drives through a couple sections of road where the evo drops out but the moto does not. She decided she did not want it because she thinks the screen on the evo is better, not because of resolution but because of the pentile display.

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Laughing at Bionic SUCKERS!!

Have they fixed the colors on samsung screens yet?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I think the original gs2 has a saturation control under display settings, you can tweak the color up and down like on your television

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Laughing at Bionic SUCKERS!!

Do you guys really not know that the Samsung Super AMOLED screens also use pentile technology???

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The SAMOLED used in the original Galaxy S line uses pentile. The SAMOLED Plus in the newer phones uses RGB stripe array and not the pentile arrangement.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Um can you explain very explain what's the difference between Pentile and Super AMOLED Plus? Well, I am not much into mobile thingy. I am just trying to learn about new Android. Sorry!

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
rgb-stripe-vs-rgbg-vs-rgbw-pentile.png

This might help explain things.

http://expiance.com/blog/2011/05/13/rgbw-pentile-sub-pixels-and-graininess-of-mobile-displays/ Read that article and it should help as well. That is where I got the picture from.

This shows the SAMOLED+, AMOLED Pentile, and (Moto's choice) LCD Pentile
rgbw-photo.png

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Um can you explain very explain what's the difference between Pentile and Super AMOLED Plus? Well, I am not much into mobile thingy. I am just trying to learn about new Android. Sorry!

PenTile is a sub-pixel matrix that was designed to consume less battery and operate brighter than your typical RGB LCD screen. Super AMOLED Plus is a screen technology, like LCD is a screen technology. Both technologies can and HAVE used the PenTile sub-matrix. Current LCD screens from Motorola are using the PenTile matrix, and last year's Samsung Galaxy phones used it in their SAMOLED (non Plus) screens. Both have their pros and cons.

The SAMOLED Plus screen used in the Galaxy SII ditched the PenTile matrix and uses the classic RGB stripe sub-matrix. Doing this allows for 12 sub-pixels in every pixel on a WVGA screen, and helped eliminate some of the perceived negatives of the PenTile matrix.

Honestly, it's probably easier to Google this stuff as it's all out there. But the bottom line is, all a discussion will achieve is people expressing their opinion on what they personally like or dislike. There is no "better", there is only "personal preference".

One day, we will have full HD displays with ultra sharp pixel resolution that consumes almost zero battery on full brightness that displays ultra rich real life colors. Until that time (hell the way technology is moving it could be next week), we're going to have to deal with some give and take.

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What makes SAMOLED less obvious was the fact that it used an RGBG as opposed to RGBW where the W over takes the other colors making the screen look washed out but brighter. Its like looking into a light and not being able to see other objects directly around the light.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for explaining! I take Super AMOLED Plus as best choice for screen or whatever it is? Yes?

"Best" is a tough word to use right now when it comes to displays. Everyone has their own opinion. But in the Android world, I'd say the majority do prefer the SAMOLED screens to other choices. But remember, Samsung is only producing SAMOLED Plus displays right now at 480x800 resolution. Some will prefer a higher resolution qHD screen for that fact alone. To me, I still think the iPhone's retina display is the top dog, with Samsung's displays coming in second. Again, that's just me.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
"Best" is a tough word to use right now when it comes to displays. Everyone has their own opinion. But in the Android world, I'd say the majority do prefer the SAMOLED screens to other choices. But remember, Samsung is only producing SAMOLED Plus displays right now at 480x800 resolution. Some will prefer a higher resolution qHD screen for that fact alone. To me, I still think the iPhone's retina display is the top dog, with Samsung's displays coming in second. Again, that's just me.

Ok, I think I'm getting headache. I'd say I am follower, go along with what people think. Help me? I am just simple guy. I will need a mobile to keep me "to-go". I use text, email, internet, gps, and facebook. Assuming Sprint Galaxy S II Epic is right choice for me then?

Oh I don't do voice such as calling. I am Deaf.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I think I'm getting headache. I'd say I am follower, go along with what people think. Help me? I am just simple guy. I will need a mobile to keep me "to-go". I use text, email, internet, gps, and facebook. Assuming Sprint Galaxy S II Epic is right choice for me then?

if you are coming from a Blackberry and this is your first Android phone, I would be more concerned about which Skin you prefer (TouchWiz vs Sense vs quasi-Blur) before you worry about the screen.

Having said that...every review of the Euro Galaxy SII has said that it is the best Android phone out there.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Haha sorry I'm not intentionally trying to be elusive. There's just so many variables that come into play when selecting a smartphone that its almost impossible to say something is better than another. Much of it boils down to personal taste and valued features.

But, with the Epic 4G Touch, your going to get a fast device with a large, great looking screen that will do everything you described above and more, and do it really really well for at least the next year and probably well beyond. I think it will be hard to be disappointed with this device if that's what you're looking for. Cheers!

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
if you are coming from a Blackberry and this is your first Android phone, I would be more concerned about which Skin you prefer (TouchWiz vs Sense vs quasi-Blur) before you worry about the screen.

Having said that...every review of the Euro Galaxy SII has said that it is the best Android phone out there.

Yeah you can say I am coming from Blackberry and new to android phone. So what is skin? Tip? Advice?