Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the battery threads and it seems like everyone's gotten really good battery life. Since I got my phone I haven't felt like my battery life has been very good. I checked the battery status and it shows that in just over 6 hours it's gone down to 26%! I didn't even use the phone that heavily today.

Do you think I have a bad battery? I also noticed the phone signal is yellow a lot, so could it be my Sprint service is just really bad and that's sucking up the battery life?

I saw the other threads such as the 30 hour life and the Android OS at 60%. Yesterday my Android OS showed up in the 80s and 90s, which is quite high, but today it's low (4% as you see in the screenshot). I have Go Launcher EX and also a live wallpaper running, yet Android OS registers as 4% today and yet the battery still drains fast.

I'm hoping to figure out what the issue is here and hope it's not a battery or other hardware problem.

Thanks!

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just over 6 hours and down to 26% Bad battery, something else

How long was your display on?
Press display to get the duration it was on.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

That's some serious Awake time for not using the phone heavily. There's like two tiny breaks in a sold bar of awake. Also, your phone signal looks weak. The phone could be bouncing around trying to pull in a stronger signal. It's really hard to tell on battery related issues, because there's so many variables.

Here's mine today with pretty minimal use for comparison purposes.

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

are you using a launcher?

turn off auto brightness, and screen lock at like 30 seconds

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I've just plugged it in to charge so it might be a little off, but it says time on is a little under 1 and a half hours.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

That's some serious Awake time for not using the phone heavily. There's like two tiny breaks in a sold bar of awake. Also, your phone signal looks weak. The phone could be bouncing around trying to pull in a stronger signal. It's really hard to tell on battery related issues, because there's so many variables.

Here's mine today with pretty minimal use for comparison purposes.

Yeah I noticed that too! Do you think because I have a weak signal that the phone is constantly trying to find signal and that's keeping the phone awake? What else could be keeping the system awake?

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Something is definitely running non-stop in the background. That was nearly a full blue bar for awake. Also I don't think it's a weak signal since it shows green most of the time. Maybe an app? Did you check the Tast manager?

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

whoops i mean you should take off the live wallpaper and remove go launcher ex,

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Wow that's some intense awake time somethings definitely jamming hard in the background.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

whoops i mean you should take off the live wallpaper and remove go launcher ex,

Yeah I just took off live wallpaper and went back to the default launcher. Will have to see how the battery usage turns out tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the info. It sucks if I can't use any of these cool Android features and customizations because they suck so much battery life... but I guess I can live without them.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Alright, I've turned off live wallpapers as well as Go Launcher EX and my battery life STILL sucks and hasn't changed much from yesterday. I tried driving to different locations to do some errands and noticed my signal was a lot more green when I was out, but they stayed yellow when I was at home and at work.

So it seems like the culprit is my Sprint reception is poor where I live and because of that my battery drains a lot faster than it should.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Attached are the battery status screenshots.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I see you're roaming there. Try turning that off.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap that may be it. I had high % my first two days then after tweaking settings it is normal. Roaming is one thing I've always killed. My wife has one with high % and I haven't changed that setting on hers. Please try it and let me know

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Holy crap that may be it. I had high % my first two days then after tweaking settings it is normal. Roaming is one thing I've always killed. My wife has one with high % and I haven't changed that setting on hers. Please try it and let me know

Yeah I think that roaming option could be it. I'll try that and see if it's any better tomorrow. The problem with turning roaming off though is now I might not get any signal. Where I work seems to get a really weak Sprint signal, and I believe what it does is roam onto Verizon's stronger network to get a connection.

I'll try it though and see how it goes. Hopefully it helps!

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
One thing that all of have in common is that everyone is set to automatic roaming... It's free so why change it? For. Some. Reason I always change it to sprint only right away. I just changed hers so I will. Know tomorrow for sure

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Still I might need to contact Sprint to figure out this bad signal issue.

And tomorrow I'll be out all day too without any access to power plugs... I guess I'll just have to make sure to turn every single thing off... hopefully it will last.

Citymusic08

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

When I prevented my widgets and apps from auto synching always my battery life increased significantly

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Why is your Active time so much? How can your Android OS be so high without the phone overheating?

Something is very wrong and it is not the phone or battery. You have installed a rouge widget, laucher, app or have a setting wrong.

If you are getting bad signal or are roaming at home or work, call Sprint and follow these steps to get an Airave: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home.

If your Battery usage Android OS over 25%, you have a rouge widget or app that is not turning off. See this thread for specific steps for setting up the Epic 4G Touch power management:
30+ Hours Battery Life on the Epic 4G Touch-How Long Can You Go?

If you still are not seeing fantastic battery life, find the battery sucker on your phone by following the steps in the Extending Battery Life thread.