almost perfect but fails in signal

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just as the title of the thread says this phone royally fails in getting a signal.
Where the EVO 4G got 5 signal bars this phone refuses to find any mobile network signal, and to get any signal the phone has to be restarted.
The EVO never went into roaming this happily goes into roaming at every opportunity.
Even in an area of full 4G coverage this phone wants 2 find maybe 1 bar or the sweet "zzz"
The only good thing about this phone is the screen.
About time to return the phone.

I must totally agree with you on this one..But im going to go out and state the camera is great and the speed of the APPS only...I capped APPS because the browser sucks due to the reception issues. It fails in all other categories!!

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I must totally agree with you on this one..But im going to go out and state the camera is great and the speed of the APPS only...I capped APPS because the browser sucks due to the reception issues. It fails in all other categories!!

I can tell you its 10x better than the EVO3D and just as good if not better than OG EVO. But

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced the same thing many times. It has always perplexed me.

I've seen this before, too. 1.3Mbps down and 0.48 up showing only one bar signal strength. This was after I applied Milos 3g data speed fix. Before that the best I could get anywhere around Seattle was about 0.5 down and 0.35 up.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My signal has been better than any other Sprint smartphone I've ever had. Check out the attached picture as proof. The Palm Pre shows 0/5 bars, the HTC Touch Diamond shows 1/6 bars, the Samsung Epic 4G Touch shows 3/6 bars and the Samsung M610 shows 3/5 bars. When taking the pictures each phone fluctuated +/- 1 bar.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
the signal on this thing sucks

I plan on returning mine today, signal is THAT bad.
-bobby

Where do you guys live? Did you guys have Sprint b4? If you guys are new to Sprint , did you check in your area to make sure that they covered where you live/work/where ever you mostly use your phone? Lots of people are not having this problem I am 1 of them.

If you were Sprint customers b4 and upgraded i would call CS and talk to them and have them send a upgrade over the air to see if it helps with your signal. I did this for my 3G and after i turned off the phone as directed by CS there was a update and it worked.. Went from .250 kbs to about .600+ kbs. I know you mean your phone signal but it might help...

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I plan on returning mine today, signal is THAT bad.
-bobby

Which signal are you talking about? Voice? Data?

I haven't had a single call dropped and never had 3G data drop while streaming Pandora via Bluetooth on my drive to work since I got the phone last Friday.

I will say that the 4G radio does seem a bit weak for this phone or it definitely needs a patch. I have Clear internet at home and our home modem works perfectly fine while the phone has trouble maintaining a signal.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Which signal are you talking about? Voice? Data?

I haven't had a single call dropped and never had 3G data drop while streaming Pandora via Bluetooth on my drive to work since I got the phone last Friday.

I will say that the 4G radio does seem a bit weak for this phone or it definitely needs a patch. I have Clear internet at home and our home modem works perfectly fine while the phone has trouble maintaining a signal.

The 3g signal is weak and is the voice signal.. The problem here is that since the voice signal is so weak it drains the battery even when not using it.. Check the many forums the word is out.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The 3g signal is weak and is the voice signal.. The problem here is that since the voice signal is so weak it drains the battery even when not using it.. Check the many forums the word is out.

Dude, just stop. I thought you were initially giving out fair critiques... until I actually used this phone. Yes, the Photon's radios are top notch (probably the best hardware out there) but Epic's radios outside of the WiMax radio are more than adequate for me.

I think you just need to move out of the boonies where you have no service in your area or for the love of God just get a different phone or move to a different carrier :confused:

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
He claims he's from Houston, the city just signed a contract with sprint worth $15 million (sprint beat out att on the bid which had serviced the city since the 80's). I'm guessing the city wouldn't spend that kind of coin if the coverage was crap.

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
good to see I'm not the only one. 3g drops out of the blue. TOday I got a notice about roaming. I still don't know what that was about

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

If your really not that happy, you can always switch to an Optimus S! Since your so good at pointing out how many things are wrong with phones, im sure you'll fit right in!

You might even realize how good this phone really is!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

adma84

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
For those having signal problems with the ET, just be patient. There usually is a software fix for it. Same thing happened with my EVO 4G and Nexus S 4G. After the update, all was good. You just need to wait it out.

My concern is that there won't be fixes because not everyone is experiencing the issue in the same way. There are definitely spots where I drop a call now where my EVO never did. For me, not a deal breaker because I hate talking anyway, but my wife is not happy about this at all (same thing happens are both of our phones)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday and wanted to try out the signal compared to my iPhone. The wifi signal indicated lower strength but the speed test showed that the ET was faster. My iPhone showed full bars. I dontknow if this matters to anyone else, but it shows me that at last the wifi radio in my phone is OK.

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
good to see I'm not the only one. 3g drops out of the blue. TOday I got a notice about roaming. I still don't know what that was about

I'm thinking about getting the Sprint SGSII. Has your signal improved? Are there any other problems with the phone?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
To those having signal issues, please see my post here and call Samsung tech support and let them know this is a real problem. When I called earlier today, they said they never even HEARD of this problem at all until now. :confused:

Make that call, people!

Last edited:

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
To those having single issues, please see my post here and call Samsung tech support and let them know this is a real problem. When I called earlier today, they said they never even HEARD of this problem at all until now. :confused:

Make that call, people!

Since you received your ET you now have problems with being single?

:)