Do you think we will get ice cream sandwich?

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I was just curious what you guys thought of the chances of the galaxy s 2 phone to get ice cream sandwich soon or at all. I know we have the hardware.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I hope we get it! The new features and enhancements are HUGE! Plus, the swipe away gestures are exactly the kind of things I missed as a former webOS user!

Reactions: hawaiijedi

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It will come without a doubt unofficially. Since its a breeze to root and flash roms on samsung phones, I don't see ICS as being a problem.

Reactions: hawaiijedi

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Touch wiz has alot of what was shown today. What i liked was the camera function. It snapshots were quick. But besides the HD screen amd ICS its the same phone. We have 8mp camera, so is there a difference with the 5mp pr is ours better?

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
i think we will get it. it's a sammy device leading the ics launch. i see ports coming soon. if not sooner than the ota updates. let's hope sammy doesn't bork this like epic 4g. my nexus s never had a single issue. still running strong on cm7 with google wallet baked in.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
What would be better, a Nexus S with ICS or Epic Touch with GB?

The Epic Touch would still be a superior phone overall, but you'd have to wait and see how ICS runs on the Nexus S in person. If you don't have either phone, maybe you should wait to see if it comes to Sprint. I'm thinking it won't for a while because we don't have LTE yet and it would seem odd for Samsung to bother making a Wimax version while Sprint is going through the network transition. What do I know though? Lol.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Probably via root and developers. I doubt samsung will ever officially updates it, thats just what they do, they suck at supporting their phones after launch. I hope I am wrong but I am not that hopeful of an official ics 4 update.

cfbauer

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So what are the major benefits between the GSIIE4T and the Galaxy Nexus?

Galaxy Nexus:
Ice Cream Sandwich (at least at the moment)
Virtual buttons
4.65'' screen
1,280 x 720 display
NFC

GSIIE4T
Touchwiz
SD card slot
Super AMOLED Plus
8mp camera
Immediately available on Sprint

Everything else looks pretty comparable so far. Yes, there are other differences, but I want to keep this simple. Did I miss anything major?

Last edited:

whiteleyvon

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Probably via root and developers. I doubt samsung will ever officially updates it, thats just what they do, they suck at supporting their phones after launch. I hope I am wrong but I am not that hopeful of an official ics 4 update.

Quite right. We will never get ics officially IMO. Going on Samsungs track record...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The Epic Touch would still be a superior phone overall, but you'd have to wait and see how ICS runs on the Nexus S in person. If you don't have either phone, maybe you should wait to see if it comes to Sprint. I'm thinking it won't for a while because we don't have LTE yet and it would seem odd for Samsung to bother making a Wimax version while Sprint is going through the network transition. What do I know though? Lol.

wow. that does add some mystery to the equation. i didn't even think about that. Will LTE factor in? Now I am worried about sgs2 and my nexus s getting ics on time. oh well. my nexus s is rooted and i can easily flash a cm7 build or an alphonso build.either way i'm gonna get my ics one way or another.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So what are the major benefits between the GSIIE4T and the Galaxy Nexus?

Galaxy Nexus:
Ice Cream Sandwich (at least at the moment)
Virtual buttons
4.65'' screen
1,280 x 720 display
NFC

GSIIE4T
Touchwiz
SD card slot
Super AMOLED Plus
8mp camera
Immediately available on Sprint

Everything else looks pretty comparable so far. Yes, there are other differences, but I want to keep this simple. Did I miss anything major?

The only thing The Galaxy Nexus offers that I would love to have at this point is pure ICS . It is not the show stopper that I'd thought it would be (Not surprising as it is only a developer's device) so now it looks like a GSIII will be in my future

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Quite right. We will never get ics officially IMO. Going on Samsungs track record...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Their track record shows that the Epic 4G did eventually get froyo. And even the Moment got an upgrade. So the track record as it is does not indicate that the ET will never get ICS. It may take a long time, and it may take 8 months to a year, but it will be there.

It took 7 months for the Epic to get froyo, and in addition to the CDMA & Wimax radios, the Epic differed from the other Galaxy S phones because of the keyboard and TW 2.5 (rather than 3.0). Since the only difference between the ET4G and the GSM GS2 is the CDMA and Wimax radios, I'm optimistic that ICS will be available in 6 months from release. That puts it at around March/April.

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you all are forgetting they're 18 month update policy google announced at I:O. we will get ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think Samsung will push it to this phone eventually, regardless of their update history. But it will be available via root far sooner. I haven't rooted yet, as the stock kernel and ROM is excellent and I don't want to chance starting to have LOS issues since I haven't had a single one yet. The only real compelling reasons to root right now (for me) would be Titanium Backup and the removal of CIQ (out of principal), but the chance of LOS is not worth it yet. However, if I hadn't already done so, I would root for ICS in a heartbeat.

I bet we'll see a ICS Kernel/ROM for this phone by early next year (maybe sooner), with Samsung pushing it out officially next fall.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you all are forgetting they're 18 month update policy google announced at I:O. we will get ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

the 18 month update policy is nice and everything, but in 18 months I'll already be shopping for another phone, likely running Jello, Jelly Roll or Jelly Bean

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
the 18 month update policy is nice and everything, but in 18 months I'll already be shopping for another phone, likely running Jello, Jelly Roll or Jelly Bean

I think the agreement was that the manufacturers would agree to support/update Android devices for at least 18 months, not that they'd push out new updates after 18 months.

Of course the was just a courtesy agreement, not a mandate by Google. However, I'd be that we'll see ICS no later than January. Since the Nexus is on all the US carriers starting out, they will need to support the GSII's to keep the revenue flowing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa