High Android OS = bad battery life?

bhj83

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've looked around a lot and noticed this seems to be a problem for some but maybe not all. My question for people with great battery life...does Android OS take up a high percentage of your battery life. I came from the EVO 3D and never noticed Android OS being at the top on battery usage and this phone nearly always has it at the top unless I have the display on a lot...then its second. My wife has the Photon and her phone always shows very low numbers usually 2%. Is there something wrong with my phone? Last night I went to sleep around 1AM with 28% left on my battery with WiFi on and woke up at 7AM with 1% left and it wasn't turned on all night. That never happened with the EVO 3D.

joe.stay

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
During the past week, I noticed my battery was going down faster then before. Before, overnight, I would lose about 2-3% in the 7 hours overnight. Now, I loss about 10-12% during that same 7 hour overnight period. I checked and my Android OS is now at the top.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
To answer the question in your title ... not necessarily, but it can.

High Android OS with low phone use, particularly low display on time is normal.

High Android OS with moderate to heavy use with at least an hour of screen on time is not normal. This phenomenon is most attributed to a large amount of activity in the system's suspend and events/0 processes. I believe there is something about the stock ROM and possibly the stock kernel on all Galaxy SII class phones that can cause these two processes to run amok. Something about certain user environments can trigger the bug. The exact trigger hasn't been nailed down, but certain Apps (widgets particularly), whether an external SD card is installed, certain service syncs (Google, Facebook etc.) and certain email account configurations have been reported to possibly be attributed to it.

There's a couple really good discussions on the XDA forums on this subject here:

[REF][Rewrite 26/10] What the Android OS usage is and what it's not - xda-developers

Battery issue (AndroidOS "bug") - workaround (3% loss over 9 hours!!!) - final update - xda-developers

An App called BetterBatteryStats will allow you check your suspend and events/0 processes. If they're extremely high, then it could be a reason you're seeing excessive battery drain when your phone is supposed to be sleeping. Also, CPU Spy will let you see what CPU frequencies your phone is using. I would install it, then when your ready, clear the timers and set your phone down for the night. If Deep Sleep is not the highest percentage by far, then you may have a wakelock problem.

By the way, I've noticed that when I run a custom kernel (kernels compiled off the source code Samsung provided) my Android OS % is always tiny. When I run a stock kernel, it's quite a bit higher (although not to the point where it's a problem for me). Unfortunately, custom kernels come with the negative side effect of the Loss of Service bug, so it's a lesser of two evils scenario.

bhj83

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why this phone shows Android OS so high when no other device I've had shows that. I'm using an HTC Flyer right now and it shows 2% no matter what kind of use. My wifes Photon shows about 2% no matter what kind of use. My EVO 3D showed very low numbers as well.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand why this phone shows Android OS so high when no other device I've had shows that. I'm using an HTC Flyer right now and it shows 2% no matter what kind of use. My wifes Photon shows about 2% no matter what kind of use. My EVO 3D showed very low numbers as well.
Mine's always around 25% but doesn't bother me because I can get up to 4 hours of display on time which I think is really good. Aside from the display, the biggest drain for me is the browser. If I'm not careful and don't close it sometimes, it goes to town using the cpu. It can rapidly go back and forth hitting 50% often.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If I don't use my phone very much my Android OS can be very high too, but it doesn't seem to affect the actual battery life. See the attached screen shots of my usage over the past day. Screen on time is 1 hour. When my screen on time is closer to 3 hours my Android OS is around 9%. I just put it on the charger 30 minutes ago when it hit 20% but that seems pretty good for over a day on battery.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oversteer's description would be what I consider to be "normal" high AOS.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

joe.stay

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember what I did yesterday but now my battery is back to normal. My Android OS is not at the top anymore. During the 10 hour period that I was sleeping, my battery only went down 1%. I am trying to remember what I did yesterday for this to be fixed??? During the past week or two, my batter was down 10-12% during that sleeping period of mine.

Here's what I remember doing:

I did delete two pictures from my gallery. I remember deleting a picture from CK: Zombie and one other that I forgot.
I remember deleting a folder using astro manager but I completing forgot which folder!!!

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My AOS is at 47% and everything else is at 10% or less. I've only used it to make one call for about 7 minutes and downloaded an app from the market. It's been off charge for 9h 22m and only lost 10%. I'd say my batt life is pretty good considering.

During normal work days though, I use my BT quite often and talk to the wife a while a few times and still get 12 to 14 hours out of it.