Share your EL29 update experience here!!

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I can finally access theheart.org!! Before this update it would just hang on a blank screen after logging in. In the past I tried everything to get it to work and now it works.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that's it. If anyone uses any of the location based features of Tasker, this is a much needed fix after updating to E29.

For what it is worth, I never got around to rolling back to the previous version of the network locations apk, but my location based services started updating correctly on their own.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
really not liking the new update, the loss of axis lock while scrolling is quite annoying. I realize why samsung had to do it but they should have at least mentioned it in a change list.

looks like I have a reason to root now and go back to a previous build.

web1006

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is worse. It reports in foursqare and places that I'm still at places I was hours earlier. GPS finds no signal inside buildings that it worked in before :-\ :(

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
really not liking the new update, the loss of axis lock while scrolling is quite annoying. I realize why samsung had to do it but they should have at least mentioned it in a change list.

looks like I have a reason to root now and go back to a previous build.

You can do that without root by the way. Well, the process will give you root, but you could unroot quite easily afterwards if you go back to EK02.

Actually, now that I think about it, the EL13 leak is probably the best of both worlds. It was the first build which Samsung completely removed Carrier IQ, but I believe they hadn't made any other ROM modifications yet. Most if not all of the stuff people don't like came in EL26 and the final build, EL29.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is still spotty. However my Internet speeds have massive improved around where I work where they where horrid! I will try and post speed test results when I get home.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Did the update early this morning. Odd that the internet connection was so slow after doing it. But by the afternoon there was no slow down.

AirShark

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Got EL29 OTA this morning.

I see all the same things missing as everyone else, but that's one thing I haven't seen mentioned:

SETTINGS---DISPLAY---HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION now seems to be missing on my handset.

Can anyone else with stock EL29 please check for comparison?

L A Z I Z A

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Got EL29 OTA this morning.

I see all the same things missing as everyone else, but that's one thing I haven't seen mentioned:

SETTINGS---DISPLAY---HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION now seems to be missing on my handset.

Can anyone else with stock EL29 please check for comparison?

This is true. I've an E4GT updated with stock EL29 and Horizontal Calibration is missing. I've also another E4GT I've refused to update in which Horizontal Calibration is still available.

AirShark

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
This is true. I've an E4GT updated with stock EL29 and Horizontal Calibration is missing. I've also another E4GT I've refused to update in which Horizontal Calibration is still available.

That's GOT to be a mistake on their part.....who's checking these ROMs before they're pushed OTA!?!?

I actually bump my phone around a lot and have to re-calibrate it once a month or so. I hope they fix this soon.

Also...I'm a new Android user....is there any official path to reporting these bugs to Sprint? Other than arguing with a less-than-knowledgeable phone support person?

Last edited:

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Then you're going to be waiting a long time, if not indefinitely. This update closed the exploit that the autoroot tool used. However, sfhub packaged up an alternative, that is just about as easy and painless, that you can find here ...

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Edit - Oh I didn't answer your other question. Yes it can be disabled in a few ways. The easiest in my opinion, is to use Titanium Back up to first backup, then uninstall the system app "System Updates". Then reboot your phone. You may get one more notification but they should stop after that. This will however stop your ability to "Update profile" and "Update PRL", which you shouldn't have to do very often anyways. If you need to do either, simply restore your System Updates backup, run your updates then uninstall again.

Is there a way to disable it if your not rooted?

Hammertime52

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it made my battery life worse. After seeing how i couldnt scroll my wallpaper from side to side i downloaded GO Launcher and i think thats what was killing my battery but after seeing what you guys are saying i think it might just be the update.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I run the compatability prorgram from sfhub, and it passes with no errors found. I then try to install the OTA+root and I can't. I keep getting a triangle with exclamation point.

It keeps saying there is a signature verification failure. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm installing from my external sd card, would that make a difference?

bronxct1

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Got the update a couple of days ago, not receiving texts from one number. Not sure if this has anything to do with the update but it is extremely ignoring. They receive my texts but I have not gotten theirs going on 3 days now.

Waiting to hear back from Sprint what they find.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I run the compatability prorgram from sfhub, and it passes with no errors found. I then try to install the OTA+root and I can't. I keep getting a triangle with exclamation point.

It keeps saying there is a signature verification failure. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm installing from my external sd card, would that make a difference?
As mentioned in the instructions for that thread, you need CWM custom recovery to install the OTA+root.

Assuming you are on EK02, you can obtain CWM using the Auto Root package:
[ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

If you are rooted, use Option C to install EK02+CWM (I think you are rooted since you ran the OTA Compliance Check)

If you are not rooted, use Option A to install root, then Option C to install EK02+CWM.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to disable it if your not rooted?

Not that I'm aware of. I have to think that the update package has some kind of expiration date, or with a certain number of declines the notifications and pop-ups stop, but I'm just speculating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress